perineal repair HELP! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

perineal repair HELP! perineal repair HELP!

Unread 12-06-2004, 09:26 AM
perineal repair HELP!

Hi,
I had my hysterectomy almost 3 years ago. I had a bladder sling at the same time. That started me down a long road of surgies. The sling was too tight, and when they went in to remove it, they cut through my urethra. Consiguently, my next problem was a urethral vaginal fistula. I had that repaired 2 years ago. I then develped a retctal vaginal fistula. I had that repaired about 2 and a half weeks ago. During that repair, the doctor also did a perineal repair. I did not know he planned to do this before surgery. Anyway, the area where I had my episiotomies was seperating a bit, so he decided to repair it. He repaired it by stiching both sides of my labia up over the perineal area. Has anyone ever had this done? I'm freaking out as the vaginal opening he left me with is WAY TO SMALL. Not only that, but I just don't like how this feels. It's uncomfortable to say the least. I am sure that this is NOT going to stretch like normal tissue would in that area. I've tried to research this on the internet and can't find anything out about it. Has anyone ever had this done before?

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2004, 10:45 AM
perineal repair HELP!

Hi

I can't believe your dr. did that without your permission. That is terrible! I have never heard of it before. I would be calling him and asking alot of questions and getting some answers.
It does seem like the hyst has caused me some problems. I thought all would be wonderful after the surgery. Four months later I had my GB removed. The surgeon said it is common after having c sections and hyst. surgeries. I have no idea why. I will most likely have my rectocele repaired before too long. Now, by using a mirror I can also see some small holes on both sides right under my uretha.That is where I am stinging at. I guess it is some kind of tissue weakness. My gyn doesn't know about it. I don't want to call him with another complaint.If I have him repair the rectocele I will also tell him to fix anything else he may see that is wrong down there. I don't want to keep having surgeries. But, at least he would have my permission.
It really burns me what your dr. did. I hope you get some answers soon.
Peggy
Unread 12-06-2004, 11:52 AM
perineal repair HELP!

Melissa:

I wonder if post surgical swelling is making things appear worse? In any case, phone your doc and voice your concerns, or better yet, ask to be seen. Make sure you write down all your questions so that you don't forget anything!!

Peggy,

You really need to tell your doctor about the holes!!!! I thought you already had. Please, its not complaining. It's information. Your doctor can't read your mind and might miss this on examination.

Now, go and make that call!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2004, 12:41 PM
perineal repair HELP!

Hi Michelle and Peggy,

Well, the swelling has gone down, and I'm fairly confident that swelling is not the issue. As far as telling the doctor to fix everything he finds, that's how I got into this mess. I told him that I was tired of having surgeries to fix things. I wanted to be done with all this. To write the final chapter on this part of my life. Anyway, I had no idea, before I went into surgery that I had problems with my perineal area. So, when I woke up I was in a lot of pain in my perineal area. My doctor had a death in the family during my surgery, so that evening he left the country. He is back now, and I have an appointment with him on Thursday. So, I've not spoken with him since the surgery. I'm hopin this is just a temperary. It is very painful and uncomfortable. The area is very tender to begin with. I had a yeast infection and I couldn't even insert the yeast infection medication!! I had to pull it so tight that it started to bleed. There is NO WAY I will be able to have intercourse. I plan to address this issue with my doctor and INSIST that something be done to fix this. I really like, and respect my doctor, but I am not willing to go through months of agony trying to have relations with my husband. I spoke to the nurse last week and she mentioned dialation. Are they kidding?? They have stiched my labia so that it overlaps the vaginal opening.

Peggy,
You DO need to call your doctor and get in to see him. Believe me, I know exactly what you are going through. I lived with a rectal vaginal fistula and rectocele for over 2 years because I didn't want to go tell my doctor about the symptoms I was having. I totally understand that the last thing you want is more surgery, but it really is important that you go see him.

Melissa
Unread 12-06-2004, 08:47 PM
perineal repair HELP!

Oh ((((Melissa))))) I'm so sorry you've been through so much since your hyst

I had a stage 3 rectocele repaired at the same time as my hyst, almost 4 years ago. At the time, even though my OB/GYN explained the procedure, I didn't fully realize that I would have an episiotomy-like incision

I also had similar stitching done, in order to prevent further prolapses and tearing/weakening of the vagina area. While I can't honestly say that things are back the way they were, I can say that the canal has stretched. There is still this weird feeling of having extra skin at the back of the entrance, but it feels less ackward than it used to.

Do talk to your doctor about it, and enquire re: will things stretch and return to normal, once the healing is done? There also exists devices to help you stretch the canal and specialized physio therapy that involves biofeedback technology. Not only will this therapy help stretch the area, it will also help strenthen the pelvic floor, in order to avoid further prolapses and weakening.

Sending tons of s your way. Please do keep us posted.
Unread 12-07-2004, 05:33 AM
perineal repair HELP!

I had a perineal repair with my rectocele repair about 19 months ago. My doc said that she wouldn't agree to fix the rectocele unless she fixed the perineum as well - something about if the perineum wasn't corrected to support the recto repair then I would just continue to have problems. I was ripped pretty badly from a delivery, and it is easy to forget what normal looks like after a while. I could not have used an applicator of any kind for a couple of months post up due to swelling and tenderness.

I agree, the perineum felt EXTREMELY tight, too tight, for months. Certain sexual positions were extremely "bad". Patience, dilligence and Astroglide did allow the tissue to stretch over time. I don't notice any excessive tightness now. I think it took 6 to 9 months to get over the ouch factor.

Do discuss your concerns with your doc, I'm sure he/she will have some suggestions for helping this situation.
Unread 12-07-2004, 10:02 AM
perineal repair HELP!

Melissa,

I am so sorry that you are having to deal with all of this. I guess I would be upset too if this was not discussed prior to surgery and then wake upsewn up. I hope your appt on thursday gives you the answers you want and that everything will work out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register