Walking at 3 wks post op??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Walking at 3 wks post op??? Walking at 3 wks post op???

Unread 12-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Walking at 3 wks post op???

Hey Guys,

Dr. told me at 2 week appt. that I need to do lots of walking!! How much is enough at 3 wks?? 1 block, 2 blocks, or 5 blocks??? All he told me was the incision looked good (except my staples should have come out a few days after surgery, not 2 weeks after surgery!!), that I need to do lots of walking and arm excercises, and he'd see me back in 5 weeks??? He released me to drive also, but I haven't got the nerve up for that yet ( I have a standard!!). I usually walk about a block or go shopping, is that good enough or should I be doing more??? I mean at first, "lot's of walking" to me was going down the hall to the bathroom!!! LOL I can tell you this, I tried doing some leg lifts the other day and Oh my Gosh that was not a good idea!! It didn't bother me until the next day, but I sure paid for it!! Live and learn I guess!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2004, 03:06 PM

I started walking around the block at about 10 days. By two weeks I was walking two miles a day on the level. At three weeks I went on a hike in the mountains, three miles round trip with an elevation gain of 2000 feet (from 9000 to 11000 feet). I took it very slowly but didn't have any troubles. Carrying my backpack was the only difficult part. My doctor OKed me for that, but said not to do any situps until 6 weeks.

I had been doing lots of hiking and biking before my surgey to get in shape, which I think really helped my recovery.
Unread 12-06-2004, 03:07 PM

Hi Mandygail,
I've been out of the hospital for 5 days now, and I've been told to walk, walk, walk! Very hard to do with all the pain I have. I've been able to walk the house back and forth for about 10 minutes a few times a day at this point. So, maybe in a week or so, I will be able to walk a block!! LOL (I truly don't think so.) Anyway, hoping you are feeling much better since your surgery. Best Wishes.

Christee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2004, 03:59 PM

I will be three weeks on Friday. I was wondering if anyone could explain why all the walking after surgery. Does it strengthen the stomach muscles the more we walk or is there another reason? Walking the house isn't bad but still nervous about walking the malls without my DH. I'm afraid I'll poop out before I make it home. So I'm curious too as to how much walking and what is it doing for us punctured princesses
Unread 12-06-2004, 03:59 PM

I've been walking a mile on the treadmill about 5 times a week since a week post-op. I don't go very fast, generally 2.5 ~ 3 mph, but it felt so good to stretch my legs.

As for leglifts and situps, those require great effort on your abdominal muscles so they don't sound like a good idea. A little activity, if your body can handle it, certainly can't hurt! There shouldn't be anything wrong with walking a block, resting, doing a little shopping, resting, etc. Just make sure to follow your weight lifting requirements.
Unread 12-06-2004, 04:07 PM

Hi Lilmstrdseed,

to answer your questions of why walk after surgery.

1- It will help with gas pains and restore your body functions
2- It will also help prevent clots & phlebitis
3- It will help you get your strength back as this is the best and about the only exercise you can do right now.

On how much to do, I think it depends on you. I was told to start at 10 minutes and build up. When you get tired: you stop!

Good walking everyone!
Unread 12-06-2004, 04:08 PM

I'm 3 weeks today and have been walking the dog about a half mile a day. I also have been grocery shopping, Christmas shopping and driving to endless dental appointments! My doctor told me that the lifting rule and the no sex rule was in force until 6 weeks but if I felt good enough to start doing regular stuff, go for it. I just know when I've done too much because my back will start to ache. Then I sit down for awhile.
Unread 12-06-2004, 04:14 PM

Annie Thanks for the explanation. They all sound like good reasons to keep walking. I'll go to the store with my DH tonight One step at a time, Girls!!
Unread 12-06-2004, 05:54 PM

I've wondered the same thing. I'm just over 3 weeks and still miserable. Walking around the house, up and down the stairs, just about takes my breath away with the shooting pains.

I've thought of taking the dog for a little walk, since it'd be wonderful to get outside and the weather has been quite nice, but I am afraid to go alone. I had a pain the other day at the dinner table that just about knocked me to the floor! I'm alone all day now and by the time the family gets home, it's usually dark.

Wish I had a treadmill! I'm worried about trying my Nordic Track. Maybe I should try to walk down to our Club House and use their treadmill. 'Course, if I get in trouble, then what?
Unread 12-06-2004, 07:03 PM

I know what you mean. I'm at the 3 week level & I've been asking my DH the same thing (How much walking is too much walking? How do I ever work up to getting to be my old self
again)? I went to a gun show this Sat with my DH & we walked
very slowly for about 1 1/2hr. I then had my nails done (setting)
& then ate dinner with my family (setting). By the time I got home I had burning pain & felt that everything was gonna fall out.
I guess I'm getting a little frustrated in wanting to feel better
everyday. The swelly belly is every afternoon (sometimes when
I've not even done ANYTHING!)
I realize I've had major surgery (this is the 5th abdominal surgery
for me). Guess I'm older than I was for the others.
Sorry to gripe - just expecting more than I should. Thanks to you all & well wishes to you.
Connie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register