When do we get our first period? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When do we get our first period? When do we get our first period?

Unread 12-07-2004, 09:20 PM
When do we get our first period?

Well I am just wondering what happens next. When they leave our ovaries in we still get symptoms like a period without the bleeding right? How soon after does that happen?
Does this mean we still feel crappy and want to eat everything in site?
Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2004, 09:25 PM

I wondering the same thing myself Barb.....
Unread 12-07-2004, 09:26 PM

If you keep your ovaries and had PMS symptoms before surgery most likely you will still have some PMS symptoms after surgery.

I had my LAVH almost 3 years ago - I kept both ovaries. I experienced PMS symptoms again about 3 weeks after my surgery and they have occured each month since then. I still get PMS symptoms however, my symptoms seem milder since surgery. I get breast swelling and tenderness, slight headache, and some moodiness. I no longer have the heavy bleeding, cramps, and backaches. I can still tell when I ovulate because I feel a slight "twinge" mid cycle.

Six months ago I had my right ovary removed - I still have the left ovary; I still get mild PMS symptoms each month.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2004, 10:51 AM

My first bout with PMS after surgery did not happen until around 9 weeks post-op. My Dr said sometimes it takes a while for the ovary's to wake up because of being handled, etc.

Still get the breast tenderness - and one other thing explained below but nothing else so far.

One thing that is nice about no Aunt Flo is that I was always - how do you say - wanting to be active at that time of the month but couldn't before. Now I do not have to worry about that. Lets say my DH is very glad Aunt Flo got the boot!!!
Unread 12-08-2004, 02:18 PM

Hi ladies,

I'd say my first round of PMS and the first mini-period were delayed about a week from what was my old, pre-surgery cycle. I did the calculations on what my "normal" cycle would have been counting from my surgery date (I was mid-period then) and marked that date on my calendar, then started trying to pay attention to what was going on physically, than BANG, there was the mini-period. For me, the mini-period has been the best way of tracking this new cycle -- my cycles are further apart now than they used to be too.

I do notice that my PMS symptoms are lighter than they used to be also. I still get the headache and the chocolate craving, but they don't last as long and aren't as severe.
Unread 12-08-2004, 03:00 PM

Hi,
I had no pms but must have had a cycle at 3 weeks. Maybe I was too sore to notice!! Before my 7 weeks, that weekend, I am awfully lucky i did not kill anyone. My PMS symptoms were so incredibly bad, I picked fights, just cuz I could, and then felt good about it! I went to the doctor in tears cuz that is not who I am. He put me on Effexor and I noticed pms this weekend becuz I was looking for it. I am feeling way much better now, and am not in the killing people mood (cats maybe....)

Hugs
Kat
Unread 12-08-2004, 03:07 PM

Just a quick post from the "other" point of view. I kept my ovaries and I do not have any PMS symptoms at all. But I never really did. Also, no hat flashes or any menopausal symptoms. So I guess the lady that answered that if you had this before, you probably still will is the best answer for this.
Don't worry, I'm not bragging. I just have different problems.
Susan
Unread 12-08-2004, 03:20 PM

Yes, I know the wonderful ladies here wouldn't think that. But it just looked a little odd to me with several posts relating the the PMS problem, then mine saying no problem at all. I just wanted to make sure the lady with the original question understood that she may be as lucky as me in this respect.
Susan
Unread 12-08-2004, 06:13 PM

Thanks it certainly has answered my question. Before I use to mainly get savage cramps the pms wasnt really the issue the pain is what killed me and the lenth of time. In one month I guess one week was okay the rest was misserable so I can only imagine that the best is yet to come. Would be nice if the cravings werent there then maybe I could stabalise my weight but we cant have everything!

Barb
Unread 12-08-2004, 08:13 PM

I thought I had felt my period coming on sometime during the past 6 weeks. Then at exactly 6 weeks my breasts were so huge and so sore, even my underarms were sore. It was the worst I've ever experienced. I hope everything calms back down to normal. I used to have very mild symptoms.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register