Insomnia?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Insomnia??

Have any of you experienced insomnia after hysterectomy? I had sleeping issues prior to surgery but am still having them now. I just can't stay asleep and disruptive sleep is just not the best. Any thoughts on this?

TIA & Hugs
Danielle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Insomnia??

Yes, sometimes I have trouble sleeping also. As a matter of fact that's why I am still up while everyone in my house is sleeping. I have had trouble with it off and on since my dad passed away 2 and a half years ago and it seems worse since my hysto and it seems when I do fall asleep, I don't stay sleep.

Sometimes I try ovaltine and it helps, and some times I use melatonin, you can get it at a health or vitamin shop. The only thing with using it is that if you use it too many nights in a row you can get rebound insomnia. Usually the ovaltine works though, its just that then I have to get up at night to pee. Hope you find some relief and get some sleep soon.
Unread 12-08-2004, 01:18 AM
Insomnia??

I had trouble sometimes falling asleep before my hyst. Not any more! I fall asleep trying to watch a movie with DH in the evening, I go to bed, fall asleep - then I wake up at 4am and lie there! I'm exhausted when it is time to get up and go to work.

Not happy about taking anything for it tho.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2004, 03:16 AM
ARGH!

I used to have at least two sleepless nights when I was about to get my period. Wouldn't you think that now that I have had a hysterectomy and there is no chance of me getting a period that this wouldn't happen anymore? And tonight I have nothing in the house to help me sleep.

Problem is when I can't sleep I think too much. Just when I think I am fine and that I don't have to worry about cancer, they got it all, it comes rushing at me like high tide in a storm. How long before I can put this behind me? How long does it take to really feel like you've made it?

If I could just sleep.
Unread 12-08-2004, 09:55 AM
Insomnia??

yes me too...it started right away...and now 3weeks later it is getting better ..... i think our body clock was left in the on position .... wish you peace and sleep

Pat
Unread 12-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Insomnia??

Sleep as been non existent for me since I came home from the castle on 11/12. This week I had my post op visit with my doctor and had to ask for a sleeping pill. He gave me Restoril and for the past two nights I have slept good. I tried the Calms Forte(herb) which was suggested on this web site, but I still could not sleep.

I wish everyone a good nights sleep and A Merry Christmas!!
Unread 12-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Insomnia??

I hate to be discouraging, but I am eight weeks post op and really having to deal with the insomnia...it was never a problem before my surgery. Its driving me crazy! Four hours before waking up seems like a good thing...I used to be able to sleep a good solid six to eight. I have lupus, and the lack of sleep is wiping me out! Recently, I have tried a bed time snack of carbs, fats and protein- ie ice cream- recommended by a nurse I know. Once I started that, I went from two hours at a stretch to four....its pathetic, but its a big improvement.
Unread 12-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Insomnia??

I am about 10 weeks postop SAH BSO and I have trouble with insomnia. I also have bad dreams many times when I do sleep since the surgery. My surgery went well with no complications. SAH BSO due to fibroids and heavy bleeding. I am back to work now so when I get home and get ready for bed a lot of times I am out before my head hits the pillow. I usually wake up again about 2 hours later and then I catnap the rest of the night. My doctor prescribed ambien and when I take it I can be assured about 3 hours of sleep (supposed to be 7 hours) but then I'm awake again in the middle of the night and typically groggy the next day.

Mishar
Unread 12-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Mixing up the meds

Hi All!

I am two weeks out and was having an awful time sleeping. My ex-SO's sister, a nurse, stayed with me my first 5 days at home and she was very concerned that I was averaging about 4 hours of sleep out of every 24 hours.

We realized the Vicodin was managing my pain, but made me wired. She talked to the doctor and they started me on 1mg of Ativan at night. When it too long to kick in, they upped the Ativan, but it was too much. So, we've started a new plan for my pain management. I only take Vicodin in the day -- especially if i have BIG plans like shower/shave/hair washing or a trip out (yesterday I went to my Rotary Club luncheon!). At night, I take my Ativan and 2 Advil. Now I'm getting about 6 hours of sleep at night. I still don't nap during the day, but that night-time sleep is great!

I'm down to just one or two Vicodin a day, so that should help even more as time goes on.

I have to admit, sometimes I don't know if the lack of sleep is from the drugs or from all the stuff going on in my life. Thankfully, there was no cancer, but as you know, the surgery just takes a lot out of you (pun intended). And the fact that I'm still sharing a house with my ex-SO who is now my primary caregiver when he's here is a bit weird. The rest of the time he's off with his new love interest. So my brain is on overload a lot of the time. I just want to do all I can to recover fast so I can go apartment hunt, pack and move, and start fresh.

Sue (Gillie)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register