Rude comments about recovery! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rude comments about recovery! Rude comments about recovery!

Unread 12-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Rude comments about recovery!

I have a co worker who will call me weekly to get on "update" on me and always starts off with the question "So, are you on vacation yet?" That drives me crazy!!!! Like having surgery and recovering is any vacation. How rude can one be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2004, 03:30 PM
I just had to join in!

I was reading this thread and just had to add one more.....my aunt called me the second day I was home after my TAH and told me, "See, I told your Mother that it wasn't such a bad operation to have!" The gall of some people.....and the stupidity. We HAVE had major surgery and we as women and moms deserve to take off whatever time we need to recuperate. Most of us work 2 jobs...one in the work force and the second as caregivers at home...is there ever really any time off? I believe that most people say such silly things because they actually think that being off for 6 weeks is fun and they do not add in that the reason is because of our having surgery. In any case, accept with open arms those who offer suppport, kindness, and understanding and learn from those who don't so that their mistakes are not duplicated. Happy healing everybody and take the very best care of yourselves! Love, Susan
Unread 12-09-2004, 03:48 PM

One of my absolute most favorite male friends said he would LOVE to be home by himself, that it would be absolute heaven, that he'd like to get the flu so he could be home for three days. It made me so mad that I haven't spoken to him since. This is no freakin' fun whatsoever. I am hating it.

He is a jerk. All men are, including my husband who was muttering "Jesus Christ" as I was sobbing about my house being dirty as he walked out the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Hi,

Just a few words of encouragement to you.Please don:t let the negative comments get you down.Take care of yourself.It:s better to take the time<which is well needed> than to rush your recovery. Take care and GOD bless.........
Unread 12-09-2004, 04:50 PM
They all can just bite my butt!!

My father in law said "how long are you going to milk this Lori Ann?" BLAH!! I would much rather be at work enjoying adult conversation and stimulating my mind then sitting in front of the television and bieng sooo tired all of the time. Maybe they are just teasing but.....it angers me so!!!! It is not funny! Not when you just lost your womanly parts, are worried about the future and your health, and can't take care of your family. My son was home today with the stomach flu and I didn't even have the energy to help him. Do they think we are home singing Christmas Carols, baking, shopping, wrapping and just having a jolly ole time??? I don't think so!!!!!!!!!! YIKES I feel better. Thanks girls Lori

Unread 12-09-2004, 05:24 PM

I had an LAVH three days ago. Friends from work called today to see if I was out Christmas shopping!!!!
Unread 12-09-2004, 05:59 PM

I think many people would benefit from the knowledge and photos at pelvicfloor.com, I know I sure did. I think they think this is like a D&C or something; in and out, back to work next day. Most of them haven't a clue what actually happens during and after a hysterectomy, I wasn't, until now.
Anyway, I guess we just blow it off, vent to each other here, and take it in stride! thank goodness for this site.
Take care.
Kathy R
Unread 12-09-2004, 08:06 PM

I was just surfing this site tonight and saw this post. Thought I would share.

I had my surgery several years ago but I just wish I would have been in the right frame of mind to have someone take a picture of me with the caption "Wish you were here" (a phrase so common on vacation post cards) when anyone accused me of taking a vacation......iv dripping into my arm and my cath bag dangling by the bed post bulging at the seams. Some vacation!!!

Just hang out with us here who feel/have felt what you are going through. We understand..........
Unread 12-10-2004, 02:42 AM

After my emergency dnc in Jan. 2003 I took an extra month to collect myself. I was a nervous and mental wreck!! I had 6 units of blood put back in me for all the loss. The doc only gave me 2 weeks maybe for recovery but I was having more crying fits than ever. My mom and the nurse said I was over doing my extra activities with the kids and I need time for me more. Which now in retrospect I do take more time for me and feel guilty that I have this great break in the mess to take care of myself!!

Ran into a co-worker at a party store tonight, I have 2 daughters born 3 years apart on the same day...Dec.11th. Anyway, she said I see you can shop but why can't you work? I said the doctor hasn't released me to work until January. Besides, after this I take a nap right away. I can barely be out of the house more than 3 hours at a time! It's funny how someone that just got off of maternity leave, allowed 3 months, but rushed back in 2 tells me why am I not at work? It is the worst time to be off in retail but is it my fault one quit, one took a leave off, and one just got fired out of 7 of us they only have 3 and have to deal with back ups???

Sorry had to vent again!!!
Thanks, Katrina
Unread 12-10-2004, 06:51 AM

Katrina,

I would LOVE to have been present when this woman said that to you. I can't believe you were civil, which I know is a good thing. Did you tell her that your uterus, etc..... were removed and you'd prefer your bladder not to drop out? That you'd like to keep your bits and pieces intact? Or that you are anxious to go back to work, but if you go to early, you'll screw yourself up and be out longer? Or did you tell her that it's none of her **** business!!??!!!!!! I think I would have said the latter.

The only thing I can say again is that I had a melanoma removed from my thigh three and a half years ago. The doctor said 2 weeks, and I felt okay, but then the **** incision ripped open. I was the Brownie leader, I was trying to take care of my sick daughter, to work, and my cat was mauled and almost died requiring her own surgery. Needless to say, I was at work, and my asst. said, "OMG, your leg is all different colors, go home!" That was a Thursday. By Easter Sunday I was in the ER with a GIGANTIC infection that could have killed me. SO... DON'T overdo it....... I know I'm not..... that scared the crap out of me!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register