SAH-LSO - Scared a nurse, roommate could have blown us up - Debbie37 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

SAH-LSO - Scared a nurse, roommate could have blown us up - Debbie37 SAH-LSO - Scared a nurse, roommate could have blown us up - Debbie37

Unread 04-10-2000, 08:27 AM
SAH-LSO - Scared a nurse, roommate could have blown us up - Debbie37

Debbie37
(2/29/00 1:53:14 p.m.)

Scared a nurse, roommate could have blown us up, hospital told all I delivered!

I am 37 and wife to a very nervous DH (my mom is here) and mom to DD, 8, and DS, 6 1/2. I knew something was wrong for a long time. After DD was born c-section, started having clots during periods. Eventually pain got pretty bad too. Oops, waited 4 years to have check up, figured changes were just part of having had babies. Doctor thought he felt fibroids, darn! Mom had hyst for a huge fibroid when I was a kid and older sister bleeds more often than not because of them. He suggested an ultrasound to get a baseline on them. I went home and researched fibroids, no big deal. Then came ultrasound. Large pelvic mass blocking view of left ovary. Radiologist suggested a CAT scan. Chased doctor around for 2 1/2 weeks and finally got an order for CAT scan. Researched ovarian cancer the night before, BIG mistake. Said a long prayer asking for it to be non-life threatening. Prayer answered, dermoid tumor, usually benign. 7 cm. Refused to allow it to be taken laproscopically because would have to be drained to get it through the opening. What if I am the 1% that is malignant, plus increases adhesion risk. As long as uterus is full of fibroids, all small but causing cramps and clotting, I suggested the hyst. 2 months later, on 2/23, Partial AH (kept cervix) and LSO was performed.

First surgery of the day. My castle was nice enough to provide 2 of those lovely gowns, one to use as a robe. I never saw my surgeon the entire time I was at the castle. He did speak to my DH after to tell him it was indeed a dermoid. I remember little after they gave me the Lala drugs in my IV. I remember the nurse telling my DH to kiss me, but that is all. When I awoke in the recovery room, a nurse rushed over to tell me where I was, like I cared. As they wheeled me to my room, they warned me of every bump, still hurt, but nice that they warned me. In my room, I had to get myself over to my bed. (Thank you sisters for warning me of that. I was ready for it.) I just deep breathed and inched over. Once I got hold of the bed rail it was no big deal. I do remember telling the nurses "I'm coming" They thought that was funny. They got the magic button hooked up and gave me an extra bonus Toradol hit. I sleep in 10-minute intervals all day. I felt nauseous once but did not get sick. They brought me liquid dinner. I ate 1/2 spoonful of sherbet and got sick. Oh well, not hungry. They added anti-nausea meds to IV. DH went home at the end of visiting hours, all that I was doing, was sleeping anyway.

Nurses changed shifts and nurse from he** became mine. At midnight she wakes me up to tell me she is going to get me up and in the bathroom to clean up. I have a catheter mind you! I set my bed up and get sick again. After a while I feel OK. I wanted to wait until I could push my magic button but she said no, I might be dizzy. I made it to the bathroom OK and squirt the water down there. (I think it was a trick to get me up and moving) She changed my bed and I collapsed back into it. In the morning, I get sick again at 8am. Nurse from he** suggests not to push magic button. She will page the doctor and see what they can give me. She gives me Motrin 600, big deal. The pain in my tummy, back and chest (gas pain) worsen. I am too out of it to realize time is flying by and no pain relief is in sight. I doze off and my roommate's PCA runs out and the alarm goes off. I awake in bad pain. A different nurse comes in and I start to sob. She asks if I am OK and I sob harder and shake my head no. She asks where do I hurt and all I can do is point to my chest. The gas pain had gotten real bad since I had not walked since 6 am before I lost my Morphine. I must have scared her good. She ran by my side and grabbed my wrist to check my pulse. I finally got the sobs under control; they just made the pain worse.

They finally get a doctor from my practice in to see me (It is 1:00). He has them give me a Toradol shot (I love that stuff) and switch from Morphine to Demerol. I call DH and tell him come ASAP until nurse from he** is off duty. Word of advice, size up your nurse, if you don't like what you see, get a loved one there. DH leaves around 5:00 to go get Mom, DD, and DS. New nurse on duty notices hand is swollen from IV. Switch to wrist of other hand, boy I was scared they would just take me off.

Family arrives. I show staples to kids. DD asked if they hurt, and I tell her no. It is amazing how they don't hurt. The fat hand freaks both kids; no one will hold it as we walk to the lounge. Daddy pushing my pole amazes DS, who wants to push it back when we return to my room. Short but sweet visit that helped the kids almost as much as me. In the car DD tells my mom that I lied about the staples hurting. She put a staple in her finger once and it hurt.

Roommate story: That night as I drift to sleep, roommate's 19-yr. old son says, "What are they going to, kick you out?" Then I smell cigarette smoke. I ignore it and go back to sleep. Next morning I come out from taking shower to find roommate's son trying to open the window and room smells again. I smoke so I say nothing and decide to take a walk. I don't want to be associated with what they are doing. Roommate is released an hour later, hooray. She had TVH. That night while chatting with nurses on my walk, I mention the smoking. They smelled it but thought it was from the husband and son's clothes. My nurse was furious. She said she could have blown us up because there is an oxygen pipe in the wall that runs to my room. Lesson: Don't smoke in hospital.

Friday morning nurse notices IV isn't dripping very fast. I try the button and swells in 2 lumps on my forearm. Time to give up the magic button. I go on Motrin 600 and Tylenol 3 as needed. I still feel cheated that I didn't get more fun drugs. I did okay on them this time. Nice to not have to drag that pole around. That evening 2 friends call at almost the same time. Both tell me the hospital said I was released that day. One said she was told I delivered the day before. DS has wanted a baby brother. It turns out the only boy in the nursery has a heart monitor, so I decide not to push the delivery part. I do get my nurse to straighten out the release business. Turns out church friends were going to come visit but were told I had gone home.

Saturday morning, I am READY to go home. Nothing on TV. Only an A-Team marathon on TV Land, yuck. Doctor finally comes around 1:00 and sets me free. I get home at 2:45 and start recovery in earnest. Today I am amazed that 6 days later I am up and about quite well. Only 1 nap a day needed. I woke up the other morning at 4 am craving Pringles but couldn't go down the stairs on my own (wrath of Mom and DH), so I had a candy instead. To date, I have lost 4 pounds doing nothing but healing. I don't get dizzy or weak. Mom takes great care of DS and me, rubs my back. DD loves to hold my hand. DH bought a new computer cart and set it up so I can use it from the sofa. DS sang me a song last night that he made up about the whole affair. As he says " and Mom didn't almost die from the surgery". Now if time would just slow down. I am enjoying the time off work.

Debbie Partial AH w/ 1 ovary 2/23
Far North Chicago Suburb
Behold the turtle: Who only gets ahead when she sticks her neck out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register