My New Chemo Is Going To Be... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My New Chemo Is Going To Be... My New Chemo Is Going To Be...

Unread 12-09-2004, 04:00 PM
My New Chemo Is Going To Be...

Gemzar and carboplatin.

I spoke to my oncologist today and agreed that obviously, whatever is still inside of me is taxol resistant.

I am going to get a cat scan on Saturday which she does not think will actually show anything because I just had surgery two months ago.

So next Thursday I start.

Sooooooooo, all of you Gemzar people out there, please let me know what I am in for this time.
I am scheduled to talk to my oncolgist on Monday but would still like to hear from all of you, the experts.

Thanks,
Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2004, 05:31 PM

Rosalie -

My dear MIL is on gemzar for pancreatic ca. She is almost 80 and pancreatic cancer is not kind, That said - she is actually doing great. The gemzar knocks her out for 2 days after she receives it, but then she does fine.

At least for pancreatic ca, gemzar is used for the longer term - so long as her ca-19-9(which is sort of like a ca-125) doesn't double it is considered effective. She has been on it since September. Her routine is 3 weeks on and then a break of a week or so. But she's allowed to change it from time to time. For instance she is going to Mexico for 3 weeks after the first of the year and will take a month break then.

She complains about a funny taste in her mouth, and she is a little anemic, but is really doing very well.

Two questions for your oncologist:

There is some research that slow infusion of the gemzar - over several hours is more effective, but also increases the side effects

Also - why does s/he think the cancer is taxol resistent and not platinum resistent?

-
Dorrie
Unread 12-09-2004, 05:49 PM

That is a good question, Dorrie. I am going to ask my oncologist that.

Thanks for all the other information also.

Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Rosalie

I was glad the computer got up so we cold IM again. This leaves me with a lot of positive reactions. E-mail, IM or call me anytime. May it work for you as it has for me.
Unread 12-09-2004, 07:25 PM

s Rosalie

Darn it!
It is surprising that taxol and carbo did not work after two years off. I was hoping those original drugs brought you another nice long remission.
And Dorrie sure has a good point. Let us know the answer.
I'm glad to hear they are being aggressive with you by using another doublet of drugs.
You go Rosalie. Hang in there!!!!
And know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

oxox karenann
Unread 12-09-2004, 07:58 PM

Rosalie,

I am so glad they have already come up with a new plan for you. Gotta be flexible!
Have faith. I do. I have complete faith that you will beat this disease. There are no questions in my mind about that. How you beat it may be a question..but beat it you shall.
s
K9
Unread 12-09-2004, 09:25 PM

Dear (((Rosalie))) It's good to know that your doctors have established a new treatment plan. It's also so important to remain very pro-active and Dorrie has raised some good questions. Will be keeping you in thought and prayer as you have your CAT scan this Sat. and begin chemo next week.
s, peggiesue
Unread 12-09-2004, 09:40 PM

Oh, Rosalie! How shocked was I to read your posts!

Well, all I can say about Gemzar is what I've heard through Ellen... That Gemzar is kicking some butt with her! I pray that it does the same for you.

What will the treatment plan be?
Unread 12-09-2004, 09:49 PM

Rosalie,

Good luck on the new plan. I am glad your Onc did not mess around and made plans to deal with it.

Sharon
Unread 12-09-2004, 11:01 PM

Rosalie,

Glad to hear your doctors came us with a new plan so fast. May this new chemo kick that cancer right on out of you.

s

Jane B

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register