ohhhhh ohhhh that smell | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ohhhhh ohhhh that smell ohhhhh ohhhh that smell

Unread 12-10-2004, 01:00 AM
ohhhhh ohhhh that smell

I have done a search to try to answer this question because I know its got to be in there somewhere but the search thingy wont let me search anymore---keeps saying the administrator only allows you to search once every 60 seconds and I searched last about 15 minutes ago so here goes.

I am 8 days post op. TAH. NO staples. Just those steri strip bandages. I was told my surgeon had to go deep into my pelvis.
But I don't think there was anything ultra significant other than they had to put a piece of my cervix back because there wasn't enough vaginal tissues to do a proper cuff.
I lost a lot of blood 1.5 liters I was told but no transfusion needed...we just watched me and i did red meat at lot until my bm's were coming regular then back to iron. Blood count at an 8 last time we checked before discharge.

My problem is this.
I am a very clean person. I bathe daily and thoroughly.
When I take a shower- I have been using antibacterial soap and washcloth on all areas except the incision its self. I have instead been lathering soap on my hands and gently using my fingers to clean the area.
Sometimes after using the antibacterial soap I use a scented body wash just on my torso, arms, and legs for the pleasant scent.
One of the small life pleasures since having surgery and no bubble baths..ha ha.

I rinse off with a hand help shower head and I can adjust the level of spray.. I make sure I rinse very well all areas and double check the hard to reach crevices to make sure I get all the soap off.

I dry as well as I can with a towel and the use a hair dryer on my incision site as my doctor advised and sometimes I even do my underarms with the dryer.
I use deoderant-again antibacterial and a good brand.
I have been using a maxi pad at my incision site as per my doctor to help keep things dry there.

When I first came home I noticed a tiny bit of blood on the maxi napkin when i changed it and a bit of clearish/yellow type of discharge which I assume is just fluid leaking a tiny bit.

Again nothing significant to note.

Today after my shower and taking a nap- I got up and I kept getting a whiff of this over powering strong yucky odor.
I kept smelling my shirt and my underarms and even my hands and nothing.
But the odor kept lingering in the area and it was bad enough I wanted to just gag. It smells like something has died.

So I went to the bathroom and checked my maxi pad and one of my steri strips had come off stuck to the pad and i took it off and the smell was on my hands..i about freaked out..it was so nasty smelling.
I felt along my incision line and I noticed it felt as tho all the steri stips were curled up about to come off and i felt this sticky stuff all wet there. (thick and gooey)
So into the shower i got again and did the whole shower thing and when I washed my incision I lathered the soap and just let the steri strips fall off and i washed again really well and used the shower head to rinse real well. I felt along the line of my incision and everything feels flat except this area on the left side feels either raised a bit..or like they did a big oopsy with the scalpel and cut a big place out of line but I checked and from what i can see it looks like my incision is straight across.so I dont know what this raised place is...maybe just some swelling.

NO redness or aggravating looking areas that I can see.
I put another maxi pad there in the area and can feel some twinges of pain or pulling here and there which i feel are probably normal with the strips off..but that smell is coming back and its..nasty.
Anyone else having this problem?
I have a little over hang in the tummy area due to weight and 2 previous c-sections. But geepers its really annoying.
I feel like I want to wipe it constantly with some kind of wipes or something but..i know that probably is a bad idea.
I called my doctors nurse and left a message earlier but no return call just yet.
I know peroxide is out because its corrosive to new skin growth, promotes moisture, and isnt good for the flat kind of scar healing we want.
I know alcohol would burn like the dickens and probably isnt a good idea either.
I don't know what is a good idea. Except taking extra showers or getting a smooth cloth and wiping often then using the hair dryer to dry things off.
I don't think it's infection.
It just smells awful.
Anyone at all having this problem?
Anyone had this occur who is further along in recovery?
Any suggestions at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2004, 02:55 AM
ohhhhh ohhhh that smell

I dont know if its wise for you to do, but I would suggest letting air get to it. My Dr recommended that I let mine "air out" often. If you keep a wound covered with a band-aid it tends to stay moist and soft. Check with your Dr and see if it would be ok to just let some air get into it.
Hope this helps.
Melissa
ps.
I didnt have staples or the strips... I was told they used surgical glue. The incision looks wonderful!
Unread 12-10-2004, 03:11 AM
ohhhhh ohhhh that smell

Sorry that you're experiencing this problem, and it's probably a good idea to get it checked out anyway for peace of mind. You sound as if you are doing all the right things hygeine wise but still a check-up would be wise to rule out infection. I also had surgical glue and have a very neat looking scar with no oozing ever, i'm now 4 weeks post op.

Hope you feel better soon,
Kayla xxx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2004, 04:58 AM
ohhhhh ohhhh that smell

Hi,
You are only 9 days out of surgery. I was told no soap on the incision until its closed. Only water. AS to the slightly raised part, I had a couple of teeny parts that the skin had shifted ever so slightly, it took a little longer to heal but healed up just fine.

I would call the doctor and go in and have them check the smell. I had no smell but a yucky medicinal odor from the vagina for the first couple weeks, not rotting but different. I notice with the overhang also that it can get a foul odor from the overhang and sweat, etc. like with all damp moist places.....Maybe you need to let it air dry for longer than you are. I would lay on my bed, make sure my tummy was not hanging over (not hard, mine flops to the sides!!) and just lay there, buck nekkid for an hour. I did this every day, probably three or four times a day....It might help. Maybe it is staying moist and that is what is smelling....

If I was in your shoes, i would talk to my doctor and find out if it could be serious or just ucky....

Hugs
Kat
Unread 12-10-2004, 06:47 AM
ohhhhh ohhhh that smell

I would definately have the dr check this out. BUT having said that, my incision leaked for a few weeks and had a nasty odor. It drove me nuts. Dr said that I had an infection (only on the surface) One week antibiotics knocked it right out and the odor went with it. I was told to clean mine twice a day with peroxide and dry it thoroughly. I also was told to air it out as much as possible, I did this wearing a long flannel gown and no undies during the day while i was home alone.
Again, this was just my situation,,,,, check with your dr before you do any of this. It may be something very easy to fix.

good luck
missy
Unread 12-10-2004, 07:04 AM
ohhhhh ohhhh that smell

I am almost 5 weeks post op and had staples. I too have a bit of an overhang. I had that odor when I would only dry with a hand towel. My dr told me to use a dryer on the lowest setting and when I followed those instructions I avoided the dreaded "death smell" Hope this helps you.
Unread 12-10-2004, 07:43 AM
ohhhhh ohhhh that smell

I would get the doc to check it out, I know that the fluid leaking (since the area is still wet after drying) is probably the culprit. It is probably infection. That stinks to high heaven, also something else that really smells bad is a yeast infection around the incision, I have had 3 of these too.
so the best thing for you to do is to go to the doc and have him check it out.
Please let us know what he/she says.
Unread 12-11-2004, 10:13 AM
ohhhhh ohhhh that smell

I am now 4 weeks and 2 days post op and I too had this problem. Dr recommend to have someone else to clean the area, that could see better and know what is going on through the healing stage. I have hubby to that and he has been great.

Dr also recommended to clean with perioxide, dry very good, and put Neosporin on incision to help with healing and infections if any. Instead of a maxi pad, I use some wound cover, very inexpensive and perfect size for the area. I have had no infections, the odor is completly gone and I feel cleaner. My odor was bad too. I could smell it away from the covers. The only problem I am having is discharge odor and now I realize what is causing that odor. I was drinking about a gallon of water a day which was cleansing my body from impurities and since at home I have been drinking alot of tea and white grape juice. I started back on water yesterday and can already notice a difference in discharge odor. I had this problem before and doctor agreed with me.

Check with your dr and see what he/she recommends and just be very careful. Keep us posted......
Unread 12-11-2004, 11:29 AM
ohhhhh ohhhh that smell

I too have this odor and my sister-in-law who had a c-section said she had that too. I make sure it is dry by using clean tp and dabbing it and washing it in the shower and drying it really well. I think it is just because I have an overhang too and it may get sweaty.

I don't have anymore discharge and just had the staples replaced by steri strips last Monday. How long do those usually last before they start falling off. My dr told me but I have forgotten already.

My sister-in-law would have her husband help her clean the area so that it was really clean and dry. I like the hair dryer idea. I think that I will do that today.

Lori
Unread 12-11-2004, 07:33 PM
ohhhhh ohhhh that smell

It sounds like it could be a seroma starting to show itself. A seroma is not an infection, but drainage can be very gooey, but clear. Your doc definitely needs to see this so that he can diagnose you, so that you can be treated.

Take care and keep us posted!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register