Bathroom issues... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bathroom issues... Bathroom issues...

Unread 12-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Bathroom issues...

At 5 weeks I am still having awful gas pains but the bladder and bm pain have pretty much disappeared. I found that I stool softener and plenty of water helped ease the pain in those two areas. Tomorrow I am calling my family dr and seeing about something for the gas. It can bring me to my knees. Last night they were so bad that I thought I was going to vomit, but I held it back. Thank goodness.

Hope you do not get the gas pains that i have had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Bathroom issues...

Jessica, I had the Gawd-awful gas pains, too. Felt like labor to me. That lasted until about 3 weeks. Then, it kinda went away. A pharmacist told me to use Gas-X and also Colace for a stool softener. It does not add to the gas problem, as some of the other things mentioned do. It was a catch-22 situation. Rocking back and forth on the stool helps loosen or move the gas, too. Walking helps. To me the gas was the worst part of the whole thing!

Hugs..mary anne
Unread 12-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Bathroom issues...

It was painful for me for about 2 weeks. It seems now that I am no longr taking pain meds it is a lot better. Narcotics are so constipating sometimes. My bladder was fine but bm's were a pain quite literally. My body is still leveling out, it seems if I'm not backed up I'm running for the bathroom but fo rme I'm greatful to just be going. After having a rare but very serious complication as a result of my lap 18 mo ago I have learned that I can deal with all of this bowel chaos, lol

Hugs
Danielle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Bathroom issues...

I was given stool softeners in the hospital and when I got home I had major diarrhea for a couple of days. I didn't mind because I was worried about constipation from some meds, but having to get up in the middle of the night a few times - and needing help to get out of bed - wasn't fun.

I also had a few days at home where it took some time to completely empty my bladder. Seems like things were reduced to a trickle and I'd sit there a long time. I had minor burning sensations a few days and drank cranberry juice and it went away.

After a week or so when I started eating more normally, then I began having the opposite problem with my intestinal system. Seemed like things really slowed down. I'm still taking Colace daily, along with drinking prune juice (yuck), eating fig newtons and dates and trying to drink lots of water. I think because I haven't been exercising enough, my system has slowed down.

I just think it takes time for everything to get back to normal!!
Unread 12-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Bathroom issues...

I'm a big water drinker as it is so that has never been a problem for me. I think a lot of my problems were the narcotics and now adjusting to the calcuim too. I know it'll get better. Believe me after having a small bowel obstruction you appreciate having bm's and gas, lol
Unread 12-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Bathroom issues...

Hi Sisters!

I really didn't have problems with urination or BM. But, I had an awesome nurse who gave me GREAT advice!

Use a small stool or box and put your feet on it when trying to have a BM. This puts you in a better position and you don't have to push as much.

Hang in there girls and take care!

Marianne
Unread 12-13-2004, 07:40 AM
Bathroom issues...

I'm 6 days post op and have no trouble with urinating. I feel a little "sore" when doing so, I guess from the catheter (it was removed and quickly reinserted when I was leaving recovery because they claimed it had "slipped" and was causing me a lot of discomfort). I've had urinary tract infections before and it is NOT bad like that, just a little "achiness" when urinating.

I was given a suppository in the hospital to get my bowels moving. It resulted in a small bm - enough to be able to release me. But after getting home, I wasn't going and was having less and less gas. So I took some milk of magnesia (they gave me some of that in the hospital, too) to soften things. I took more than one dose since it didn't do any good and later noticed some small print about letting it "work overnight". So yesterday I spent a lot of time in the bathroom paying for not reading the instructions. Today I seem to be balancing out. Had my normal bm at my regular time of day as before my surgery. It was very soft, but still had some cramping with it. My body does feel like it's getting back to normal, though.

~Tammy
Unread 12-13-2004, 08:03 AM
Bathroom issues...

Tammy,

Sounds like you are doing pretty well. I hear you about the mom, I bought some but never took it afraid that it would kick in at a bad time, lol. I had a hard time pushing in the week after surgery. My vagina was also very sore, guessing because they probably had to stretch me out good to get my parts out but that passed in the first week too. I think week 2 will be much better for you.
Get some rest.
Hugs
Danielle
Unread 12-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Help with constipation post surgery

Ladies,

I had severe endo on my bowel along with a ton of adhesions. They actually pulled my entire intestines out to look through every square inch to ensure there was no other lesions of endo on them.

So, I say this to set the context of how "banged up" by guts have been. Here are some things that have worked well for me with post op constipation because not only can it be uncomfortable to painful, but serious if they become impacted.

1) Pain medicine is very constipating, so I've been taking a couple of stool softners everyday am/pm.

2) Drink fiber drink such as citricil - doc recommended this over metamucil because it causes less gas

3) Lots of water & high fiber foods

4) Moderate walking

5) Gas-X - they gave me this in the hospital and it really helped relieved bloating from all the gas they put inside you when they operate.

**** Be really careful about using Citric-Magnisum (bottled drink). This is very harsh and is usually used for medical preps or severe cases of constipation. This can actually cause a "rebounding" effect so use it moderately. *******
Unread 12-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Bathroom issues...

I had my first post-op BM last night and it was very traumatic. I've had one since then and it was not as bad.
My doctor has me mixing one tablespoon mineral oil with 4 oz of yogurt twice a day... Not sure yet if it's making a difference.
Urinating has not been a problem. I've been drinking lots of water and cranberry juice... but nothing else.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register