Cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Cervix

I had a TAH Sept. 27, 2004 due to fibroids and adenomyosis. (Before that I had an endometrial ablation in May 2003.) The ovaries and fallopian tubes stayed. The uterus was removed, however, the dr said a "nub" of the cervix remained. Is it possible to have spotting now? It seems that I have had two incidents of some light pinky brown spotting since the TAH: on Oct. Oct 18-20 and then recently Dec. 9-11 with a crampy like tummy. I thought that spotting would not continue after the TAH. Is this just part of the healing process? I can't understand how spotting can occur if the uterus was removed completely. What role does the cervix play in this latest development? Will the spotting continue? I am very disappointed because I feel as though I went through this difficult surgery for nothing. Any thought/ideas would be appreciated.
Vacuum Lady
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Cervix

If you still have your ovaries, your body's still producing estrogen and your monthly "cycles" will continue. It's like having your period without the bleeding. If some of your cervix is left, I've read in the postings that's been known to cause mini periods. I understand that to be normal, but you should run it by your doctor.
Unread 12-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Cervix

Hi,

As KEB mentioned, if you keep your cervix and one or both ovaries you may have what's know around here as mini-periods. This is because the cervix, which is simply the opening of the uterus, may contain some of the endometrial lining of the uterus. This lining can respond to the hormones secreted by the ovaries each month and slough off, just like the lining of the uterus did.

Some ladies don't have any problems, but some do have spotting during the time they would normally have a period. Most of the time, it just necessitates a panty liner for a day or two, though I have read of several ladies having substantial bleeding and later having to have further surgery to remove the cervix.

There is an office procedure I've read about which can cauterize the lining of the cervix using a laser technique. You might want to check with your doctor about this procedure if it is mini-periods and they trouble you.

By the way, if you kept your cervix, you had an SAH, subtotal or supracervical abdominal hysterectomy. A TAH is when the cervix is removed along with the uterus.

s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2004, 05:43 PM
Cervix

Hi

According to your profile your cervix was retained, which is a SAH (supracervical abdominal hysterectomy, or partial hyst). And you also kept your ovaries. As has already been explained, the ovaries will continue to cycle and your body will be getting ready for a period each month. Any PMS you had before surgery you will probably still have to some extent. And the cerivx is part of the uterus, the opening, and there is not distinct "line" where it begins/ends. Some of the lining of the uterus can be left behind with the cervix. The result is called a "mini period". Check with your DR. The cervix can be cuaterized which should take care of the remaining enodmetrium.

Best wishes.
Unread 12-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Cervix

Dear Vacuum Lady,

I wonder what your doc means when he says that a "nub" of your cervix remained. Was a total hyst attempted, but for whatever reason a small *part* of the cervix was left behind? Or was the entire cervix intentionally left? I thinks there's an important distinction there.

I had an LSH (Laparoscopic supracervical hyst) on 9/10. The doc cauterized my cervix, but I am still having monthly spotting similar to yours. I've had 3 so far. This last one has lasted for 2 weeks, but it is so light that it only requires a pantiliner. I also find it extremely frustrating! My doc said that he could freeze whatever endometrial tissue that remained to stop the mini periods.

Of course, like the other sisters say, you need to check it out with your doc. Some docs will go in and cauterize and others will not. The other possibility that has been mentioned to me here (on HS) is granulations, which are spots on your cervix that are not healing and which is easily treated with silver nitrate (I think). It seems unlikely to me, though, given the timing of the spotting and the cramps and PMS that accompany it in my case.

Sorry you are so disappointed! I certainly understand !

But, do know that there is something you can do about this, and that if your doc won't help, you can most likely find one who can. You did not have this surgery for nothing!

Good luck!

Margot
Unread 12-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Cervix

Dear Margot,
Thanks for your support. I really feel like I went through all this for nothing. I wanted to retain as much of my reproductive organs so I suspect that that is why the gyn tried to leave as much of the cervix intact. He said that the fibroids had invaded much of it so that is why he took almost all of it out. I certainly didn't know about mini periods before I joined Hystersisters. Had I did know, I would have insisted that the entire cervix be removed. Well, hindsight is 20/20 and all I can do now is go back to the gyn and see if he can do something else for me. He did tell me that I wouldn't bleed anymore and although it isn't much, mostly slight staining for up to 3 days, it is nevertheless upsetting. One of the reasons for the surgery was because I was always bleeding or staining. I sure hope that he doesn't think that I am just a big whiner and complainer and I hope that he tries to correct the problem. He may just say that it is better than it was before so I should just accept it.
Vac. L.
Unread 12-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Mini Period or discharge?

Hi Vac L,

I have my 6 weeks post op appt tomorrow and I'm going to mention to her that I'm still having discharge which she said I could have for about 2 weeks. She said it's part of the healing. For me I'm having sometimes yellow, sometimes bownish or reddish discharge that causes me to wear a pad.

My situation is different. The cause for my TVH was because of prolapse of the uterus, cervix and bladder. I've had an easy recovery only dealing with this discharge. I'll let you know what my doctor says after I see her.

I hope you find some answers soon. Call your doctor's office. You need to feel proud of yourself going through what you did to get this far.

Wishing you the best!
Debbie
Unread 12-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Cervix

Hi, Vac L

It *is* extremely frustrating to keep buying pads and checking your underwear, isn't it? I was not told that there was a possibility that I would have mini periods. When I mentioned it to the doc at my 6 week post op, he said that this was the first time this had happened to him. He's very proud of his surgical skills, so I suppose he didn't feel the need to bring the mini period possibility up when we talked about the pros and cons of keeping the cervix. Believe me, I'm still hopping mad at him (for this and for other more disturbing reasons) . I will be seeing a new doc this Friday and am traveling 90 minutes to get there because she comes so highly recommended.

Your surgery was *not* for nothing! You got rid of your adeno and your fibroids and the long periods. But if these mini periods really bother you (mine sure do), you need to get it fixed so that you won't feel this way anymore. If your doc has the "it's better than it was before" attitude, then you can find a new doc who is more respectful of your feelings.

Please remember that the hard part is over. You've had the major surgery. I have not been cauterized for this yet, but I don't expect it to be too big of a deal. I had a LEEP last year for carcinoma in situ on my cervix--they slice off the cancerous part of the cervix and then cauterize it. It's an out patient procedure and it's certainly not pleasant, but it's not too painful. I'll bet it would be nothing compared to the ablation you've already had. But I have to admit that it *does* make me mad that I have to do one more thing to stop the bleeding!

I hope you are able to get this settled with your current doc. If not, don't give up! You must do something so that you can stop feeling cheated.

Take care,

Margot
Unread 12-13-2004, 04:49 PM
What do you think of this?

OK Ladies,
Thank you first of all for all your support with my ongoing concern about mini-periods/spotting syndrome. Well, I called my doctor and he said that the spotting is being caused by granulation....scar tissue at the top of the cervix. I was freaking out saying that this was all coinciding with what would have been my period time. I said, it feels like a period, it looks like a period, it must be a period. He said that it isn't, but I am not convinced. He said that I can go to his office in the New Year to have a chemical applied onto the cervix and that should take care of the spotting. What do you think out there? Will this be a one time thing or will this procedure need to be repeated? Has anyone else gone through this before? Any ideas and advice would be enlightening. He is too busy to fit me in right now, but he did say it was done during an office visit. Please, can someone fill me in about all this?
Thanks,
Vac.L.
Unread 12-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Cervix

Hi, Vac L, Margot again.

I don't think that this is something that can be diagnosed over the phone. And I don't know how he can be so sure that it is granulation and not some leftover endometrial tissue on the cervix. I, too, am suspicious!

I have not had the treatment for granulations myself , but lots of sisters here have. I believe that they apply silver nitrate to the cervix and that you would have a greyish discharge for several days. From what I understand, the procedure sometimes has to be done more than once, but not usually.

Hopefully someone will correct me here if I'm wrong! For those sisters who have had granulations, was the spotting continous or did it seem to coincide with your monthly cycles? How did your doctor diagnose it? Is it something they can see on an exam, or do they go by your report of symptoms?

Vac, if someone more knowledgable than me doesn't respond on this thread, I suggest that you start a new one regarding symptoms of granulation. You can also go to "resources" and type in "granulations." Depending on what you find out, you may want to consider a second opinion from another doc.

Margot

P.S. I got your email and I'll let you know what happens after my appt.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register