Need suggestions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need suggestions Need suggestions

Unread 12-13-2004, 02:08 AM
Need suggestions

OK sisters, I cant bring myselgf to ask others about this but im gonna ask you. I had my TVH on the 9th. stayed in the castle till the 11th. Im still haveing lots of pressure especially upon standing and walking, If my bladder gets to full ( cuz i have to go up stairs to get to the bathroom) I am in alot of pain and it hurts the whole time I am peeing. I have never been one to have a BM on a rugular basis but should I be worried that it has been 4 days, I am drinking nothing but lots of water and fruit jusices, I am having lots of gas but still no BM. I look like im 6 moths prego and I feel like I have been in labor for the last 4days. Please if anyone can help me let me know what to do, Im not sure if i should be worried or not. Thanx for the thought and prayers it was good hearing from some of you made me feel better knowing I AM NOT ALONE. tc and speedy recovery to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2004, 04:45 AM
Need suggestions

I can relate to this too! I had TVH on 11/17/04, released on 11/19. Doc said it could be up to 5-6 days post-op before I had BM and he was right, day 6 it finally happened. Are you taking any kind of stool softener? If not, I would personally recommend it; this way it doesn't hurt quite so much when it finally does happen. I continue to take at least one per day even at 3 1/2, almost 4, weeks post-op. I had a lot of the pressure sensation prior to that first BM and could barely walk upright; it is much better now. MD's nurse also recommended I start taking Metamucil or some fiber supplement. I didn't have much of an appetite the first couple of weeks, so I wasn't getting what my body needed to perform the function. If in doubt, call your doc .
Good luck. Keep in touch.
Kathy R.
Unread 12-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Need suggestions

I hate to say this but you sound right on track with the timing and BM issues. Gas, oh is that painful too. The pain pills can add to constipation, so water, juices and a stool softner should help. I had my first BM on day 5. I had a swollen belly, gas was rolling and hurting then the final climax, the hurtful BM.

After the first one, they got easier and as you progress in healing your colon will calm down too. They move it a lot during surgery, and don't forget all the stitches that need to heal too.

Walking helps a lot, even if it is 10 min an hour. I must say that helped me the most. Kept that gas moving around better, instead of lingering in one spot. And kept me from too much pain.

Good luck, time will heal this. Until then, drink water, walk and take those stool softners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2004, 11:26 AM
Need suggestions

OUCH!! I resorted to glycerin suppositories. I also was taking stool softeners and milk of magnesia. The suppositories are very gentle...don't cause cramping and actually helped dispell some gas! Really, it does get better. This too shall pass!!!!!!
Unread 12-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Need suggestions

I know how you feel! My doc. has me taking Milk of Magnesia twice a day. I haven't had the first BM yet. Still waiting...has been 4 days for me. Lol...I love the "this too shall pass quote!"
Unread 12-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Need suggestions

I know exactly how you feel. All that is normal so don't feel bad b/c we all went through it too. I'm almost 6 weeks and still it hurts to pee. My Dr says just give it time and it will all get better.Everyone is right about the stool softeners, they do work.Hope you feel better soon!!!
Unread 12-13-2004, 03:47 PM
Need suggestions

The stool sofeners and milk of magnesia did not work for me. I must had something really lodged up there (LOL). But what finally worked was an old remedy my granddad used to do for himself when i was little 35+ yrs ago. Drink 8 ozs of warmed prune juice (I act as if it's my coffee). 1 or 2 slices of whole wheat toast toasted almost black, 1 boil egg (this is optional, i just thought i needed to add some protein). Now I don't necessarily like prunes but beleive me, it worked within 1 hour. I do this now every morning for my breakfast. It feels you up too! I'm trying to lose weight so I thought this would be good for that too!
Try it and let me know if it worked as well for you.
Unread 12-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Need suggestions

I ate fruit, drank prune juice and finally had a BM on Day 5! The gas pains were so bad during the first week, I actually did Lamaze breathing through them! I'm suprised I remembered how to after 20 years!!
Unread 12-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Need suggestions

Oh my goodness

Hope this rectifies itself quickly for you and from the replies to your post it sounds like it will. What scares me is the fact that I haven't had my hyst yet and I feel exactly like you do now...as if I am in labour almost constantly...whats it going to be like after the hyst...thats a scary thought.
Good luck with your recovery and I hope things get easier and less painful for you very soon.

Sasha
Unread 12-13-2004, 07:03 PM
those first days

The nurse in the hospital told me that rocking in a rocking chair works to help with the BM also. And I read on this site to try for no more than a few minutes, then get up and walk , then try again, and keep doing that so you don't strain. Movement and gravity help a lot when it is ready. I was glad I was home alone for that first time-there was definitely something blocking in there.

Consider this one of the biggest hurdles to get past. I never had the gas pains, but this first BM was quite an epic event!

Oh, and Flitty, I had a prolapsed uterus and rectocele, and I felt like I was in labor for about 3 months before surgery. All of that went away for me with the surgery. Of course there were new pains from the surgery, but the pain like you describe went away.

Here's a Thinking of you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register