Granulation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Granulation

Dear Ladies,
I had a hysterectomy performed on Sept. 27th, 2004. I have had some dark pink spotting for the last 4-5 days turning to dark brown by the end. This also happened 22 days ago. It seems to me that this is coinciding with my cycle. I spoke with the gyn today and he said that it is granulation. I was freaking out because I thought that I was having mini-periods. The gyn said that I had a TAH, but when I had my 6 week check before all these problems with spotting began, he said that I had a nub of the cervix left. Does anyone know what that means? Anyhow, I will be making an appt to have him examine me and he plans to use some type of chemical to stop the spotting. I am confused. He assured me that this is not a mini-period, but the fact that it has twice occurred during what would have been my period has me quite worried and upset and that there is a nub of the cervix left. Sorry for the run-on sentence. Can anyone enlighten me???
ThX
Vac.L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Granulation

Hi Vac.L.,

I'm sorry that you're experiencing this and it is causing you to worry.

It sounds like your Dr. thinks that you are experiencing spotting due to granulation, which is an area that has not quite healed. It is commonly treated chemically with silver nitrate, which essentially cauterizes the affected area. Often times, just one treatment will take care of things, though it's possible that several applications may be needed.

I had an area of granulation that my Dr. found during a routine exam when I was a couple of months post-op. He used silver nitrate during my office visit and for me, that cleared it right up.

Please do discuss your concerns with your Dr. when you have your appointment.

Best wishes and s
Unread 12-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Granulation

Does granulation spotting occur on an ongoing basis, or can it happen only monthly, when you'd normally be having a period? Can there be cramping with it? Does anyone know how the doc can distinguish granulations from mini-periods if ovaries and cervix are kept? If you have granulations, could there be a period of time post op where you stopped bleeding and then started a few weeks later? And then stopped again?

Thanks,

Margot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Granulation

But.............a nub of a cervix would sure bother me! I was told that any amount of cervix could cause period like symptoms. I'd review that with him again...after more research. Why did he leave a nub anyway!!

Of course, the action would be to treat the granulation and then wait to see if you have any other symptoms. Treating the granulation would completely seal up the vagina. So if the nub should bleed slightly 28 days later, where does that go to?

I was told that untreated granulation would act up mostly during intercouse but could irritate and drain anytime.

Best of luck with this side effect of surgery.
Maralyn
Unread 12-14-2004, 07:51 PM
Granulation

Just bumping this back up....

I think that Vac needs to make sure these are granulations, since her doc is not even willing to consider the possibility of a mini period. As far as I know, if the ovaries and part of the cervix are left, there is *always* the chance of mini periods. It happened to me, even though my cervix was cauterized.

Granulation treatment might shed some light in 28 days, like Tina says, but it seems that a proper diagnosis can and should be made first. From what I've read, Vac's symptoms don't sound like granulations and the timing of the spotting has gotta make you wonder...

Can anyone who had granulations please describe what they were like?

Thanks again!

Margot
Unread 12-22-2004, 07:51 PM
Granulation

I just saw my Dr. today. I am exactly 6 weeks post-op and went to her for complaints of pain and slight bleeding during intercourse along with a slight brown discharge. She said I had granulation the size of a marble and removed it in the office today. Not sure what she did, but I assume she used silver nitrate to cauterize it. It was very painful during the proceedure, and I have been cramping since. That was about 8 hours ago, and I feel like i just gave birth, aching into my legs as well. I am wondering if the granulation is why I have been off and on crampy and uncomfortable. I had assumed it was gas and bloating, which I have had since surgery. I guess it is the swelly belly that so many speak of. I just know that I hate looking pregnant when I obviously am not. I have to go back to see her in couple of weeks to check on progress...
Unread 12-22-2004, 09:31 PM
Granulation

I had a total different experience about the granulation thing. I've been having pain since my TVH 8 weeks ago, but no bleeding at all since week 2. Doc sent me to his partner because he couldn't figure out why I was still having pain. She did a very thorough checking of the vaginal cuff and said there was a little granulation on one side, that it was like scar tissue. I didn't think to ask her about the silver nitrate, and what she did was a biopsy, by numbing the area and then clipping it off. She then showed me a little bit of skin-like stuff that she put in a solution, and I guess sent it off to the lab. It didn't hurt when she did it, and the pain has not gone away (I really didn't think it would!)
Unread 12-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Granulation

Hi.

I too have a similar problem. I had a Total back in July and recently starting spotting. I've been back to the dr. 3 times to have cauterization of this area. It is very painful. He says it is common to have tissue grow in the healing area. He called it "proud" tissue growth. Or granulation. He said if the cauterization does not take it away, he will have to remove by cutting it off. It is not common for this tissue growth to hurt though he said. Mine is extremely painful when he touches it. Anyone else have that problem??
Unread 12-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Granulation

Hi
i had pink spotting and brown discharge and went to my gyny 3 weeks post op. He said there was a bit that was bleeding and put something on it, like silver nitrate. it stopped bleeding completely although he said it might take a couple of weeks, then it started again for a day and then stopped for good, now I have a tiny amount of yellow discharge, no smell, no temperature , I think its the stuff he sealed the bit with. At least I dont have to wear pads now. HEAVEN glad I went to get it checked out though.
p.s Merry xmas and may all your dreams come true in 2005.
Unread 12-27-2004, 05:55 PM
Granulation

I have had to have granulation removed 3 times in the past 11 months. I didn't have any symptoms, but since I had an incidental uterine cancer diagnosis after my TVH I have to go to the Gyno every 3 months. Because of the cancer they don't want any extra tissue growing.

I don't understand how they can say that the tissue should not have any feeling. I thought that the siler nitrate was extremely painful and the cramping and pain afterwards was no walk in the park either.

This past time my Dr. "scraped" the area first and then applied the silver nitrate. OUCH!!! I have a great doctor but I don't think that he believed me when I expressed how much it hurt.

If I have granulation again, they will have to surgically remove it. Ugh!

Cylinder 5

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register