TMJ Pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-14-2004, 07:16 AM
TMJ Pain

HI, Ladies. I have "talked" to a few of you who've had TMJ pain and I have learned some valuable things. Wanted to know if there are others, too. Did your TMJ pain get worse after the hyst? Mine has.

I would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks so much!

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2004, 07:52 AM
TMJ Pain

Good Morning Les,

Wow. I too have TMJ and have had major surgery to rebuild my jaw.

I found that if I napped without my splints or mouth pieces in I tended to have a bit of jaw pain and stress.

One question I have for you is: Did you tell your Anest. about your TMJ before he put you under?

The meds they give us when putting us under tends to relax every muscle. When they open your mouth to intubate you, your jaw can and offen does dislocate. The Anest. will just replace your jaw in its normal position and so on and so forth. (this was told to me by my Anest.) When this happens, for those of us with tmj, this can cause some discomfort.

My suggestion to you is this: if the pain persists I would call your Maxiofacial - oral surgeon/physician or dentist that is working with you on your tmj and have a consult with them. They can help you with the discomfort or pain with the use of different therapies. Have you tried moist heat? If you feel like there has been some damage to your jaw please call your physcian/dentist and see them before you do anything.

Even 10 years after my surgery I still do my physical therapy atleast 3 - 4 times daily. TMJ is nothing to baulk at, it can be very serious for those of us who suffer from it.

If you need to PM me, maybe I can help? I'll be glad to help. I"m not an expert but have years of experience with TMJ and complications.

I hope you feel better soon!!
Char
Unread 12-14-2004, 09:37 AM
TMJ Pain

Hi, Char! Thanks for the info. I am working on some writing now and don't have the time to properly respond...but I will at a later time. Thanks so much.

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2004, 06:25 PM
TMJ Pain

Hi Les,
I haven't visited the site lately and came across your post. I had TMJ surgery 19 years ago and TAH/BSO 4/22/04. My TMJ has been worse, despite being religious about wearing my splint at night. Ibuprofin and moist heat tend to help. Let me know what's going on with you - e-mail me directly if you want and I'll try to help. It's no picnic...hang in there.

Kris
Unread 12-18-2004, 10:07 PM
TMJ Pain

I do not have TMJ but have rheum arthritis. Had it under control before surgery but cannot get it under control afterwards. Dr said I could have low grade infection and now I am on my second round of antibiotics and prednisone. I'm just confused as to whether it is just my arthritis or if there is an infection. They have done no testing so if I have an infection I don't know where it is - the drs are thinking it is a low grade sinus infection but I don't know that because it is just a guess.
Unread 12-19-2004, 11:43 AM
TMJ Pain

Thanks ladies for the posting. With hesitation I began wearing my night guard three nights ago. I hadn't worn it since I got it three months ago simply because I was scared. I had heard horror stories of people who actually got worse with the guard. Anyway, my doc and my dh told me to wear it. I must say that has helped!

I appreciate everyone's input on this subject. There is no pain like TMJ pain and unless you have it you don't understand. So thanks again ladies!

Les
Unread 12-19-2004, 01:58 PM
TMJ Pain

I'm so glad you started to wear your night gaurd. With all the pain from your hyster I'm sure you've been clenching more then usual, night and day. You probably don't even realize it!

I even wear mine when I'm sewing or peeling potatos because I tend to clench when I am concentrating!! lol (visions of a child sticking their tongue out while coloring) lol

Anyway, it's good to hear you are feeling better!!

Char
Unread 12-19-2004, 02:04 PM
TMJ help

Hi!

I too had TMJ surgery five years ago. It was due to injury of my face. However, I have had some soreness as well. My surgeon is also a good friend. I saw him at the nutcracker and asked him about it. He said that it was normal. When a person is in pain or the body using chemicals it ordinarly doesn't (pain medication) you tend to clench your jaw more. Hence the soreness. It makes perfect sense now that I think about it. I have been clenching my teeth bunches since the surgury. He gave me some skelaxin. It really worked for me. I hope this helps.

Karen
Unread 12-19-2004, 02:15 PM
TMJ Pain

Char,

My doc said the same thing...that I was probably clenching more, etc. I've thought about wearing mine when I'm just hanging out but haven't done that yet. I'm proud of myself for wearing it though. I can be so stubborn at times!

Thanks for caring.

Les
Unread 12-20-2004, 07:54 AM
TMJ Pain

Hi Ladies,

Hooray for wearing your night guard!!! I have worn mine for 20 years (hard to believe...) but it truly has been a life-saver. I think that we all are probably clenching more, but also have more pain because the intubation tube during surgery causes your jaw to be opened wider than you ever would be open normally and also for a much longer period. It really aggravates not only the joint itself but the whole set of muscles involved which literally wrap around your head and down your neck into your shoulders. I have found this to be a really good excuse to treat myself to a massage. If you tell the massage therapist about your pain, she will really concentrate on those areas and it helps alot.

Hang in there - it really is worth sticking with the guard even though it's not the most glamorous!

Kris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register