Back Pain at 5 Weeks Post-Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back Pain at 5 Weeks Post-Op Back Pain at 5 Weeks Post-Op

Unread 12-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Back Pain at 5 Weeks Post-Op

Hello, ladies:

Tomorrow will be my 5 week post-op anniversary (LSH). I started back to work full time at 3-1/2 weeks. I have fatigue and swelly belly, both of which I understand and somewhat expected.

But what I am suffering that I didn't expect is back pain. I have never had a bad back. The pain started at about the time I went back to work. IT is worse (often much worse) after a full day of work. I drive about 30 minutes each way to work. I sometimes have to drive to other locations during the day. I have a sedentary job and sit at the computer for long periods.

The pain is in the mid back. Motrin doesn't help. I see my dr. for my 6 week apt. next Tuesday, but I wanted to see if anyone here has experienced this.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what was the cause? What do you do about it? I am at a loss, as I never had back pain before so I don't have any experience in dealing with it.

Thanks!

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2004, 11:01 AM

I have also expericenced back pain, but it is in my lower back. I can tell when I have done too much--on my feet too much, the back pain kicks in and then I get the lower abdominal/side pains/pulling if I REALLY have overdone things.

I either take my pain medication or extra strength tylenol for the pain.

I am not back to work yet...1.5 more weeks and I will be testing the waters of being back to work on my feets for 9-10 hour shifts. Yuck!!
Unread 12-14-2004, 11:08 AM

I'm six weeks today, started back to work yesterday, and I also have a backache. Mine is in the lower back. It started when I returned to work.

I, too, have a fairly sedentary job--library director--but I am up and about more than I was at home. So I'm thinking it's from the increased activity. If it doesn't get better soon, I will call my doc. I'm taking pain medication and Celebrex.

Did you have a bladder repair? I did, and my doc said my bladder would be cranky for up to six months. I'm wondering if this is connected to the bladder repair?

Best wishes--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2004, 11:14 AM

No, no bladder repair. But my fibroid was partially posterior, so I imagine there was a lot of scraping & stuff on the back side.

On the other hand, I didn't have this back pain until my activity increased about ten-fold at week 3-1/2.
Unread 12-14-2004, 11:41 AM

I had a benign tumor on the back of one of my ovaries. I had been suffering from serious sacral pain for six months. That back pain is now gone.
The docs told me this surgery wouldn't help the sacral pain, but they didn't know about the tumor, either.

I had some complications with surgery--I was scheduled for a LAVH but my uterus wouldn't cooperate. My surgeon did a lot of tugging and pulling before doing a TAH. So, I'm not too surprised that my muscles are not back to normal yet.
Unread 12-14-2004, 11:46 AM
Back Pain

I am glad you brought up the issue of back pain. My TVH /bladder suspension was 11-19 and I have been steadily improving - on Monday, I woke up feeling like I had been hit by a Mack Truck. My middle back, lower back and tail bone really hurt. I tried heat, but it didn't help much. I did some walking, which helped a bit. The Checkpoints option for 3-4- weeks says that a common complaint for this recovery period is back ache.

I guess it is helpful to know that it is normal, but not much fun to deal with.

Hopefully, this too will pass. I return to work on Jan 3rd- am not looking forward to sitting for such a long time!

Take care of yourself.
Sarah
Unread 12-14-2004, 12:14 PM

I can tell you why you are having back pain. Our abdominal muscles work to help us sit up, stand , walk, push, pull, etc and since they are not healed yet, your back muscles are doing all the work.
use the heating pad you used for your tummy and put it on there. Once your abs are strong again, they will take over all the work.
I hope you are feeling better soon.
Unread 12-14-2004, 01:07 PM

But, Marianwrn (and Cindybd)...

We LSH sisters have pretty minimal stomach muscle trauma during our surgeries. My tummy was certainly sore, but I didn't feel that my muscles were impacted--not like they were after my C-section.

Srandecker: what is the "Checkpoints options?"

Sorry you are experiencing this, Cindy. My uterus was also pushing against my back. We thought it could account for my low back pain, but unfortunately it did not.

It certainly does sound related to your increase in activity. Would it be possible for you to take a few short breaks during your workday and lie down on a heating pad?

Hope you get better soon.

Margot
Unread 12-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Checkpoints

Under the Hyster Sisters heading at the top left, there is a purple rectangular box - the fourth option is Checkpoints which gives descriptions of what you can expect at different times in your recovery - very helpful

thanks for your reply-
It is so good to know that others understand and don't think we are whimps!
Sarah
Unread 12-14-2004, 01:42 PM

Thanks, srandecker! I thought I'd explored the whole site, but I never noticed the checkpoints before. How helpful!

Margot

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register