Help---do the bladder spasms ever go away???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help---do the bladder spasms ever go away???? Help---do the bladder spasms ever go away????

Unread 12-14-2004, 01:58 PM
Question - Help---do the bladder spasms ever go away???? Help---do the bladder spasms ever go away????

Help!
I'm 12 days post op from a bladder sling, rectocele and vaginal vault corrective surgery, and have been having a really hard time.
The dr took out my catheter on the 3rd post op day to see if I could pee--after several hrs of trying my heart out I couldn't, then went into major bladder spasms waiting for the nurse to cath me again. So I came home with the foley.
Five days post op I went back in to have the cath removed. Peed in the clinic just fine--no pain, no struggle, just a little slow. But by the next time I had to go, it was spasming again and very difficult to pee. Just managed to get enough out each time for the rest of the day to "take the edge off". Next day went into complete retention, and had to rush to the clinic to be re-cathed. Serious pain!
The past week have had bladder spasms even with the cath in. Went back to see dr today; he removed cath and again I peed, with only a little spasming right at the beginning. Now I'm supposed to pee every two hours, then self-cath and record post-void residuals. Worked fine the first time. Second time I couldn't pee at all, then with the cath my urethra spasmed and I couldn't get the cath out! Took about ten minutes for it to calm down so I could remove the cath.
My dr seems very sympathetic, but I'm soooooo frustrated. I had a TVH with anterior repair 3 yrs ago and it was nothing at all like this! I know this was a bigger surgery, and that it's still early, but I can't manage to do hardly anything. I hurt all the time (am on percocet, motrin, valium for spasms, and pyridium). Now I'm worried that I'll never pee normally again! Dr. keeps saying things like, "yes, this happens to some people", but can't give me any kind of idea of how to deal with it (other than drugs), or how long this prob might last. Does anyone have any suggestions, found anything that worked for them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2004, 10:57 PM
Help---do the bladder spasms ever go away????

Hi, Cornish Girl!

Sorry to hear your recovery is not going as smoothly as we would all like. Bladder spasms are no fun and I hope yours go away soon. I know everyone reacts differently to medication, but ditropan worked well for me....lots of it!

Hope to hear you will soon be well!
Dee
Unread 12-16-2004, 06:42 AM
Help---do the bladder spasms ever go away????

I just want you to know it does get better. I too had the spasms for about the first 2 to 3 weeks. I was given medication to help calm down my bladder and that helped alot. You are early on in your recovery. Just try to relax and take it easy. I found the warmth of a heating pad made me feel alot better also. Take care of yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks

Thanks to you both--just really wanted to know I wasn't alone.
I'm still having to self-cath every two hours, but the residuals are finally going down--and the best part--I've been able to pee, at least a little, every time I've gone all day!!! Never thought I could get so excited about that!
Dee4--what type of med is ditropan? Is it in the same family as valium? I'd like to ask my doc for some of that to see if it helps.

Thanks again!
Unread 12-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Unhappy - Help---do the bladder spasms ever go away???? Still spams after 3 months and more...

I had my surgery the end of September and regret it. I have not been the same since!

I am in PT for the spams. I wake up with them and have them various times of the day. Since I also developed sever back pain. I never had back pain prior to this. I am wearing a TENS unit now. It worked for the pain while I wore it in the trail month. Now, I have had to purchase it. I am exhausted all the time no matter how much rest I get. I don't know what would have been worse, wearing Depends at 36 and feeling healthy and energetic OR having this surgery and being in this much pain plus the exhaustion. I wish I had more time to count the cost.

So frustrarted! plus internally it not hurts to been intimate with my husband. It never was a problem before. My PT is contacting my surgeon about all this. She thinks maybe it will "stretch overtime."

Has anyone else experienced what I have?

Deanna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register