No HRT, what is your experience? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No HRT, what is your experience? No HRT, what is your experience?

Unread 12-14-2004, 10:07 PM
No HRT, what is your experience?

I am very curious about people's experiences with menopause symptoms after having their ovaries removed.

Due to endometriosis, I won't be able to start HRT for at least 6 months. I'm in week four and haven't experienced any major mood swings. I do have some minor warm flushes. I'm curious to know at what point others began to experience hot flashes and mood swings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2004, 10:43 PM

I am five weeks post op and am currently taking no hormones. My dr. tells me that I may be able to start hrt on December 20th when I go for my 6 week appointment. I too had endometriosis and the doctor removed an endometrioma the size of a softball. I have had far few symptoms up until last week. The hot flashes are still not too bad but the night sweats are horrible. I am having problems with getting the shakes too.

Christi
Unread 12-15-2004, 05:51 AM

hi, I am exactly 6 weeks post op. I too had my ovaries removed because of endo. Nobody mentioned anything to me about HRT . I havent any symptoms yet only the night sweats ! It is a worry whether to take HRT or not, you hear so many different stories. I didnt know you had to wait 6 months but I did read in a book that oestrogen only HRT may cause endo to come back if it hasnt all been removed!! Hope all goes well for you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2004, 08:25 AM
symptoms of no hrt

I, too, was off hrt because of endo. but only for 6 weeks. During those 6 weeks I experienced severe hot flashes and night sweats. My dh said I was like a human heater that radiated the heat. I started with those hot flashes about a week after surgery. But, not every woman has that same experience. So, maybe you'll be lucky.
Unread 12-15-2004, 09:31 AM

Though I am still pre-op, I too have the same concerns as my surgery is scheduled 12/29 for endo. In the past I have been on BCPs and had a horrible time taking them as they made my periods terribly painful and I was in a foul mood most of the time. Besides those issues, I also developed a large brown spot on my forehead. I finally gave up after experimenting with 13 different types over the course of 8 years. My concern is having trouble taking HRT's since I had such trouble with taking birth control pills. Has anyone had any experience with this type of situation? I was unable to take the BCPs to try to control the endo, same as for the Lupron becuase of these bad reactions, so now I am wondering if the HRT's will react in the same way even though my ovaries have been removed. I am planning to ask my Dr at my pre-op appt next week, but it would be nice to hear if anyone has had some real experience with this situation.

Thank you!!
Unread 12-15-2004, 10:19 AM

Hello everyone!

I'm nearly 4 weeks post op (TAH/BSO due to pre-cancerous uterus tumour). I've been told by my consultant that I cannot go on HRT because of further cancer risks. So far i've only had a couple of night sweats (although my DH says i've also had the moods!!).

I'm hoping I escape too many symptoms as I wont be able to have any medication.

Does anyone known when these symptoms are likely to appear or could it be that i'll get through it with not too much trouble.

Hope everyone's recovering well and looking forward to Christmas.

Best wishes

Unread 12-15-2004, 01:10 PM

Hi there ! I don't take HRT through choice and I'm nearly 7 months post op - everything gone . I haven't had too many problems , my worst is awful knee pain and locking . I sometimes feel very hot but I'm always blushing anyway , even at the ripe old age of 51 ! I take various vitamins , glucosamine , calcium and drink lots of sage tea . I don't touch fizzy drinks or have too much regular tea . I try to eat healthy type food , plenty of fresh fruit and salads . I'm losing weight and back into my exercise prog and walking . It appears that my menopause is following my own Mum's experience , nothing too drastic . But everyone is different and we each have to get on with it . We're Princesses afer all so we'll be fine !
I feel this is a new phase for me and I feel better than I've done for years .
This site has been so helpful , I wouldn't have coped without it ! Good luck to everyone ! Cheers .
Unread 12-15-2004, 01:51 PM

Gosh... one week after surgery I was put on the .05 Dot... endo/ando/fribroid/TAH. Why am I on HRT at one week and others not at all. 47 years old... is this a factor?
Unread 12-15-2004, 03:06 PM

Hi there "Hystersisters"

Thanks for your comments.

It's nice to hear that not everyone needs HRT. It was quite a frightening thought when I was told I couldn't take it but I feel quite hopeful now. I'm 47 years old and had no signs of the menopause before my op.

Good luck to everyone and have a nice Christmas, we all deserve it.
Unread 12-15-2004, 03:40 PM

Hi!
I'm six weeks post op and can't take HR because of a previous breast cancer. On top of that, I'm on Tamoxifen.

It really hasn't been bad except for one night last week. I had three bad hot flashes in a row. So far, that has not been repeated. As far as moods are concerned, I find that I get very impatient with things--being ignored in a check-out line, phone calls I really don't want to take, etc. I feel that I am now a bit different--I have no time or patience for nonsense and will probably tell you that! I've only had one good crying jag. Much better than I had feared it would be.

Best of luck--

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register