Working out 3 - 4 times a week 8 weeks post op - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Working out 3 - 4 times a week 8 weeks post op Working out 3 - 4 times a week 8 weeks post op

Unread 12-16-2004, 07:18 AM
Working out 3 - 4 times a week 8 weeks post op

I'm going to join Curves in 2 wks which will be my 6 wk post op and when I return to work. Hopefully my benefit office will allow me to return 1/2 days for 2 weeks b4 going back FT. If so, my plan is to go 3-4 times those 2 wks and still be home b4 2 or 3 p.m. to rest for the next day. Hopefully by the time the 2 wks is up, my body will be use to the routine of working out. I'll make sure though they are aware of my surgery and maybe they will curtail everything based on that. Anyone else doing Curves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2004, 09:22 PM

Lisa and all of the others,

Thank you for your responses! I think that if it's been 6 to 8 weeks, you should be able to resume activities as normal, for the most part. I think doing "nothing" after that long of time is a bit crazy, but that's my opinion. They always say excercise is one of the best medicines and I believe it. I do get a bit soar and get the swelly belly if I overdo it, but I make sure to take it easy the next day if this is the case. I have a Hystersister in England, and her Doc says no earlier than 12 weeks!!! To me, that's absolutely craziness! Even if it's moderate walking on the treadmill or a nice swim or brisk walk, I believe that doing something is better than nothing! But, everyone is different so I would say do what you feel is best for you. I'm no Doc, so again, that's just my opinion.

I just got home from a very agressive spinning class for 1 hour...I feel excellent!
Unread 12-27-2004, 11:07 AM

I am 5 weeks post TAH and would like to start a little gentle swimming, but the other day when I turned over onto my stomach in the bath it felt very strange. I can't really describe it, but it was rather an unpleasant feeling in my belly, not painful, just very strange and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this feeling.
I suppose the only way to find out if I get the same strange feeling in the swimming pool will be to try it. Maybe I should do backstroke? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2004, 11:29 AM

Hi Sisters,
I'm sitting here w/ a heating pad because I'm sore from riding my stationary bike one little 'ol mile yesterday! I'm sooo frustrated because pre-op I could ride 12 miles a day. I am currently at 9 weeks post-op, so I am mentally ready, but apparently not physically. My jeans are getting snug, so I am freaking out a bit! Just wanted to air my frustration. Guess I'll have to wait awhile longer.
Unread 12-27-2004, 12:54 PM

i was released at 6 weeks to exercise. doc told me to work gradually up to my normal routine. it went great, at first i couldn't do squats and lunges very well. that didn't last long, though. i still get sore doing some ab exercises, but not bad.
Unread 12-27-2004, 03:37 PM

I am 7 weeks post op and exercised a few times before this past week of x-mas craziness. I ran 5 times a week before the surgery. I feel confused about the whole swelly belly thing. If the belly gets more swelly after a workout then are we really doing the right thing?
Unread 12-27-2004, 07:33 PM

It has been 9 weeks for me today. For the past 3 weeks, I have been lifting weights 1 day a week and doing spinning classes 3 times a week for an hour - brutal but I feel great and can do them no problem. A little swelly belly at times, but seems to have gone away the last 2 weeks! Keep a truckin'!
Unread 12-27-2004, 08:48 PM

Return to exercise is very individual and should only be done with the approval of your doctor. Some are cleared at 6 weeks, some of us later. At six weeks my doctor said he would prefer walking only, but said I could to light weights with my arms (15 pounds) and about 25 pounds with my legs as long as I didn't use my abdominal muscles in the process. At over 8 weeks, I'm still waiting for clearance from my doctor for getting back to my normal routine, which I hope will come in another week.

Be careful and make sure you don't do too much just because others here are doing more or because you're bored!

Sara
Unread 12-28-2004, 07:07 AM

I'm 6 weeks post op tomorrow! I got my DD a Pilates kit for Christmas (Dyna-Flex) and I watched her work through the video yesterday morning and thought, geez that looks easy. So she talked me into doing it last night and surprisingly it was very difficult, more so than it looked (I guess when you're as out of shape as I am, anything is harder...LOL). You really use your abdominal muscles. I got a little burning sensation in my lower abdominal muscles but I wouldn't do as many reps as the tape. I wanted to see how I felt the next day. Well, here I am the next day and feel just great. My stomach area feels lighter for some reason and I just feel good all over (especially my back which was hurting everyday). I think the stretching of muscles with the bands allow you not to overdo it since it is resistance. So, I think I'll keep doing these (every other day) and start walking on the opposite days until I decide if I really want to invest money in Curves or if I can do it on my own. Plus it was a lot of fun (my daughter laughing at me)!!!
Unread 12-28-2004, 07:42 AM

Ladies -- I had to weigh in on this because I was a fervent exerciser before my hyst. I have been cleared for exercise, but when I exercise and also work all day, it is still too much for me. So I intend to wait it out a little. The only exercise I've done is the treadmill at 3.0 mph (like someone else on this thread) for about 45 minutes.

I am still having a pinching pain in my cervix area, especially when I do too much (like over the holidays). I take that as a sign that my body is not ready to both work fulltime and work out. As I get my energy back, I will add my exercise back in.

I also used to do some weight training (The Firm). I know darn well that I can't start back on The Firm for a while yet. I am thinking maybe 12 weeks. I may start some arm exercises with my dumbbells before then. I'd like to do some upright rows to get some back strength back. I am thinking it will help with my back pain.

Cindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register