Working out 3 - 4 times a week 8 weeks post op - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Working out 3 - 4 times a week 8 weeks post op Working out 3 - 4 times a week 8 weeks post op

Unread 12-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Working out 3 - 4 times a week 8 weeks post op

My recovery has gone well also, I'm @8wks. 1st 6 wks just walking every day. Then I gradually added 9 floors of stairs @ work, exerbike, a bit of jogging, light weights, very easy snowshoe outing last weekend, easy racquetball last night.
I found a couple of tampons in my racquetball bag, and smiled, knowing that I will not have to deal with that again.
Activities mean a great deal to me, so of course I want to get in shape. The key for me has been to add things back at an easy modified level. I snowshoed at a very beginner location and took it easy. Racquetbal was with a very out of shape person, but was great to move around a bit and smack that ball.
I feel so motivated to get back in shape. And since it's going so much better than I ever thought it would, I'm really excited! I have a wonderful windsurfing vacation, to Margarita Island planned in March. And I now know that I can be in good shape for that trip, since recovery has gone so well. See you @ the Beach!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2004, 12:18 PM

Hello all,

I am frustrated that I cannot (doc's orders, plus pain) workout yet. I am five weeks out today and I feel so impatient. I want to get back to the gym, doing spinning classes, and begin working on my training for my first Century Ride (metric) slated for April 2.

I'm wondering if the women who are already doing a great job of working out at weeks 6, 7, 8 etc. are younger than me (I'm 47.5), or if my body is just taking its sweet time in healing, or if I wasn't as in great of shape pre-surgery as I thought I was....

I just want to wake up tomorrow full of energy, go to the gym, ride my bike, and move on!

Sue
Unread 12-28-2004, 12:42 PM

I'm 38 and as I said, not working out yet
(lmost 7weeks post op). Everyone heals at different paces. And everyone has different levels of activity from their other obligations during the day that may or may not wear them out physically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2004, 02:00 PM

Last night I slept 7 hours and only woke up once. That was a good night for me. As a result I got up and went to the gym. I did 15 minutes on the bike (kind of bothered me to sit on something that hard but no fall out yet) and then used the weight machines. I did once through of about 7 machines, 12 light reps each. Kids are home for vacation so we did some shopping and I am now ready to lie down for awhile. I think that if I was able to start sleeping better on a consistent basis I could get back some stamina. Maybe lack of sleep is keeping others from the gym as well? I agree with you cindybd, working and exercising and taking care of the family is still too much for me in one day. I used to be able to run, work (part time), clean, carpool, cook and stay up late! Thankfully, DH is still pitching in and helping me. I am trying to make good choices about what I do in a day so that I don't collapse the next day. The holidays are exhausting for most people so I am hoping that all of us will feel a burst of energy when the new year rolls around and we are done with the holiday craze.
Unread 12-28-2004, 02:07 PM

Listen to your body!
The amount you are able to exercise also has a great deal to do with how in shape you were prior to your surgery. At week 4 I was speed walking 1 mile and at week 5 started jogging. It's one year later and I can do everything I could before surgery AND MORE! Good luck to you.
Unread 12-28-2004, 02:18 PM

I, too, have wondered if my lack of sleep is hindering my progress. I get about 4 hours of sleep every 24 hours since my surgery. Twice in the last four weeks I have actually taken a nap, other than that, I'm pretty much up all day. My doctor prescribed Ativan, but it does not seem to be working. Gee, 7 hours of sleep in one night sounds heavenly. Hope I get there soon.

I did my first one-mile walk just two weeks post-surgery, and I've been walking ever since. I am soooo tempted to go ride the recumbent bike at the gym, but my doc says not yet.

Today is my 5-week anniversary. Maybe I'll feel better by next week. It seems like I read that many women turn a corner about this time.

Sue
Unread 12-28-2004, 02:27 PM

Age 39, active before, TAH 10.5 weeks ago. I walked every day during recovery.

6 weeks, released to do everything. The only activity that really leaves me wasted afterwards is sex. Sore tummy muscles, sore belly, swelly belly, wiped out. Otherwise, since week 7 I've been riding my bike to work (8.5 miles one way) and hiking (steep mountains) on the weekends. It feels great, but I can tell I'm still healing.
Unread 12-28-2004, 02:56 PM

I am almost 12 weeks, and can only walk. I work full time and my energy level is zero when I get home.
We are all different, and I do walk on weekends, but will wait for my water aerobics until February. I will have more energy then and I know I cannot do more, just Christmas shopping wore me out too much.
I have off this week, and I am walking daily, but that is it until I feel better.
Good luck to all.
Unread 12-28-2004, 02:57 PM

I'm 46 and had SAH, I feel lucky after reading what others experience. I'm even sleeping really well. Every week things improve so much. Week 5 to 6 was a big jump for me. That's when I started feeling like I wanted to do more. It's just gotten better from there.
Soini, I'm glad you got to see a picture of what was inside you. I thought I was a little weird wanting to see what came out. But was so glad that I asked my doc if she would mind pictures of what came out, and she thought it was a great idea. I then asked the OR nurse if she would mind taking pics, and she took some good ones. I was great to show family and friends, why I had the surgery. I had over 4 lbs of "alien baby" taken out, it was pretty weird looking. My tummy is now nice and flat and my scar is healing well. I'm so glad that I finally had this done.
Unread 12-29-2004, 07:20 PM

Hi Melanie,

Finally got the ok at 8.3 weeks and went to the gym last night. I was told no more than 20 minutes. I felt I couldv'e done longer but decided to do as i was told and i'm pleased I did as I was really tired afterwards but boy did it feel good to get back!!!!

Carol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register