horse riding ranching | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

horse riding ranching horse riding ranching

Unread 12-15-2004, 07:21 PM
horse riding ranching

Are there any horse riders out there? I want to trot around the neighborhood for an hour on a conditioning basis 4-5 times per week. At 1 wk pst the dream of riding feels like a long way off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2004, 08:42 PM
horse riding ranching

I wouldn't even consider that until your doctor says it's okay. There was A LOT of work done internally that needs to heal. I sure wouldn't want you to have a major set back or have to have repair work done...ouch.

I am 4 weeks post op and just sitting a my desk at work can do me in. Most docs say at least 6 weeks til you can resume 'normal' activities.

Take it easy on yourself...please.
Kathtown
Unread 12-16-2004, 08:48 PM
horse riding ranching

hi - I was going to ask a very similar question today of all you gals. i normally ride 2- 3 horses 5-6 days a week. i'm now 2 weeks post op. my doctor told me to wait at least 4 weeks to start riding again but this was because of the fall factor. she definitely said i should not do anything where i could fall and rupture sutures- internally for me. i am feeling quite strong and well these days and was thinking about resuming riding at least my own horse since he is very lazy and dependable. i was wondering if anyone else had experience w/ this and had any discomfort or recommendations. megmous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2004, 11:10 PM
horse riding ranching

My show horse is turned out for the winter so I won't even be tempted to get on too soon. I got on a horse too soon after my cone biopsy 10 years ago because I thought I felt fine (wrong!) and the results were not pretty. I'm not about to make a similar mistake again.
Unread 12-16-2004, 11:22 PM
horse riding ranching

ok if this is a bit too graphic I apologise in advance.

My doctor has said to me I cannot be a passenger in a car(except for the car ride home) for at least 2 weeks after my hyst and then I am not allowed to drive for another 2-3 weeks after that...when I asked why he said even a sudden braking in the car can rupture you wound if your seatbelt hits your tummy in the wrong way and a car accident could just "gut you like a fish" (the drs words not mine) so I honestly feel bouncing up and down on the back of a horse doesn't sound too safe to me.

Surely even the gentle sway that your body does when the horse is walking would cause too much inside abdomen movement...things in there are trying to heal...I would have though they need some stillness in there to mend themselves.

Please please be careful....I understand the desire to do something you love but you have one chance to heal properly. One ride could do a lot of damage

Take care
Sasha
Unread 12-16-2004, 11:27 PM
horse riding ranching

You've probably heard it before, BUT..........you only get the one chance to heal correctly. Since you're only issued this one body that must carry you for a lifetime, isn't your health worth the investment of time and patience? Take care, ladies..........
Unread 12-17-2004, 08:38 AM
horse riding ranching

I couldnt imagine riding a horse 4 weeks post op. I would think that would be much longer than even 6 weeks. All that bumping up and down...woooaahh...hurts to even think about it. I would double check wiht the doc again, cause that doesn't sound right.
Unread 12-17-2004, 08:50 AM
horse riding ranching

Megmous rides ++more than most (it sounds). I too ride more than most..my Dr commented that my abs were the conversation of the operating room and the muscling down my spine was certainly going to help me get upright. But also for this reason I don't want to overdo and mess up what has so far been easier than a couple of my horse crashes. The biggest thing I have noticed is that I have turned into a sap over the oddest of things.
Unread 12-17-2004, 12:47 PM
horse riding ranching

hi vansoutriding- thanks for your response. this question has been foremost in my mind since i found out i had to have the surgery. i am fit, i don't experience a lot of jarring when riding normally so i can't imagine that if i take it easy it would cause any problems. i was able to start running 3 weeks after my c- section years ago, so i figured it couldn't be that much different. about the sappy part, i was pretty weepy the week post op but that's improved since my estrogen was bumped up to 1.5 mg from 1 mg. i'm also sleeping better, am less foggy headed and have not had any hot flashes since then. knock on wood. ps. what kind of riding do you do? megmous
Unread 12-17-2004, 04:31 PM
horse riding ranching

Some people do not know..........Recovering from a C-section has nothing in common with a TAH recovery, except for the appearance of the outer incision. That's akin to assuming an engine overhaul on your car is no different than a simple air filter change, because you lift the hood the same in order to do both.

C-sections are very simple, as far as abdominal surgeries go. There are many more sutures internally with the TAH......AND, your intestines and a few other organs reposition themselves in the months following a hysterectomy.

If you were unaware of the major difference between c-section and TAH recoveries, perhaps you should read the links regarding adhesion formation (Docs will usually concentrate on keeping you from doing anything that could immediately ruin their work and cause a return to the OR.). Internal damage that can cause adhesions is much more insidious. You could be unaware of this kind of damage for many years. Women who are fit are at higher risk for overdoing.

Your horses will be still there when your body is truly ready. Please take care.........

P.S. There are no awards given for doing "normal" activities sooner than recommended, but there ARE some booby prizes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register