Anyone NOT used post op pain meds? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone NOT used post op pain meds? Anyone NOT used post op pain meds?

Unread 12-15-2004, 08:19 PM
Anyone NOT used post op pain meds?

I know this sounds crazy, but has anyone NOT used post op pain meds? I have read a few posts on the Web that not having pain meds can speed up recovery. BUT, is this a crazy notion given the pain afterwards? Not knowing how much pain to expect post op, I have no idea whether this is something that could be reasonably undertaken. I am not a fan of taking any medication, and if I knew there was a way to live through 24-48 hours of pain as a trade off to quicker recovery, I might be crazy enough to try it. I have a feeling many of you will quickly answer and tell me it would be foolish not to take advantage of the meds. Okay, here goes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2004, 08:32 PM

When you say post-op meds, I'm guessing you mean narcotics, not the usual NSAID stuff.

They gave me a dilaudid pain pump, but I barely used it - by the time my IV infiltrated early the next morning, I didn't want it back. Dilaudid made me kinda jittery and I didn't notice it took much of an edge off the pain. The pain wasn't even that bad anyway. I went straight to ibuprofen after that and once I got home I just took one of the megas at night with dinner and I did pretty good.

NSAIDs do have anti-inflammatory properties. And just not being in pain can ease your blood pressure and help you sleep better. Whatever makes you feel the most comfortable. Talk to the doctor and the anesthesiologist to design the best pain management program for you - there are lots of different meds available these days so they should be able to find something that you tolerate well, eases your symptoms and helps your body concentrate on healing.

Take care.
Unread 12-15-2004, 08:47 PM

I was on a IV pump for less than 24 hours and I went home second morning postop with 30 narcotic pills. I only took one and that was for severe gas pain! I'm one of the lucky ones!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2004, 08:52 PM

I was only on the nasty narcotics for 48 hours. After the first day, I asked the doctor if I could have anything milder and by the second day, I asked for something even more milder and asked if I could just go on Motrin. I then went on 600mg of Motrin. The pain wasn't nearly what I expected and I think I have an average pain threshold. My mom noticed a marked difference in me one I got off those nasty things. They made me itch, I had no appetite and my mouth was as dry as the Sahara. I'm not sure you'd want to go completely without, but the sooner you can get off them, the better.

Good luck -
Lisa
Unread 12-15-2004, 09:22 PM

Actually, the current theory is that you heal and recover better if your pain is controlled. For one thing, with pain control, you're more apt to move and walk as much as you need to and nothing (IMHO) speeds healing faster than walking.

That being said, I came home on Thursday from a Tuesday TAH (vertical incision) and took my last pain pill of any sort on Saturday (Tylenol 3, the one with codeine).

I also walked a miles on two different occasions on that next day, Sunday. I walked at least two miles a day every day thereafter (flat ground) and started hills at about 3-4 weeks. I felt a little pulling now and then but no real pain.

So, take as much pain medication as you need to feel comfortable and move and walk. That's crucial. Stand as soon as you can following surgery, move and change positions frequenty, and walk, walk, walk. Once you can do all that without meds, you probably are indeed better off without them.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 12-15-2004, 10:17 PM
no meds? maybe...

Because my mom was addicted to pain meds (nothing bad she just had to have aspirin, tylenol and caffeine 24/7) and this over doing of meds helped cause her death, I am no fan of taking anything I don't need. Also as a phamacy tech I see people hooked on the big stuff regularly. I can have this attitude though because my pain tolerence is judged by most to be pretty high. Everyone is different. Pain is very subjective. How have you handled painful episodes in the past? Have you had a baby naturally? or a c-section? broken any bones or sprained any joints? I had 2 natural births, have tattoos (1 in the palm of my hand) and went through debriedment of 2/3rd degree burns with no drugs. After my tah, my 1st(recovery room) assessment of my pain was a 4 out of 10 I've had worse periods. I vomited from the anesthesia the rest of the day. I never used the morphine pump. This is tough because they won't give you anything by mouth while you have it. That night I had a few sharp muscle spasms and tried the pump once to stop them. It didn't work so I quit using it. When the iv came out I went to oral tordol and tylenol(no codeine) That was enough for me. went home on orders to use tylenol and alleve. Its been ok. only you can judge for you. ; )
Unread 12-16-2004, 01:53 AM

I found the morphine worked well for the first 36 hours, then I went to panadol and ibrufin 4 hourly.The anaesitist told me to take them together, said they compliment eachother .I wanted to avoid any pain killers with codeine cos ii didn't want to risk problems with bowel, I have colitis so I have to be careful.Off painkillers after 3 days. used a hot water bottle for my back/tummy,and an icepack for the other.This sounds bizarre but it worked to make pain go away. I did have arnica,vit e,evening primrose a week prior to hyst and am now cutting down on them as I am walking around quite well.They are supposed to aid healing,my gyny was impressed today at my 3 week post op at how I am moving so I feel they were a good idea to take.
Unread 12-16-2004, 04:21 AM

I had LAVH on 11/24 at 7:30 am. Woke up enough to cry out for pain meds at 2:30. I told the nurse the pain was an 11 on a scale of 1 to 10 (it wasn't) I just wasn't expecting too much pain at all (mine was an emergency LAVH so I hadn't been given much information). They gave me morphine and all was well. I had one more dose over the course of the night. I went home the next day at noon. My DH stopped and filled my percocet (30 tablets). I took two in the car just because I thought I should. The pain was really tolerable by this time. I took on more the next morning. One again just because I thought I should. I was going to shower and wanted to be comfortable doing it. That was the last pain pill I had. No tylenol, motrin, nothing. I am now 3 weeks out and feel great. Belly aches slightly by evening and am a little tired but am 90% back to normal. This has been alot easier than I ever expected. I hope this helps!
Unread 12-16-2004, 07:06 AM

HI!

Great question... one I should have asked pre-op! I had a TVH on 12/07/04, and was out of the Hosp. w/in 24 hrs of going in. I was on a light dose of narc's while in and took one percacet for the ride home. Since then I've taken two or three doses of Motrin at night and that's been it. I am amazed by how little pain I have had. Yahoo! I just expected SOOO much more. I have been very lucky and feel tremendously bad for those that are suffering much worse than I am. Seems to be a connection b/t pain levels and type of surgery, age and lifestyle (Do you have a ton of stress, responsibilities, kids, help, etc.).I am lucky to have had a bunch of help the first week and I am living a very relaxed life these days... until school begins in January. Hope this helps ease your mind. Good luck!

P.S. My MD freinds all agree that pain management is essentual for a speedy and HEALTHY recovery. Your body perceives pain as stress. That is BAD!!! Stick close to your MD's recommendations and stay in touch! This is all JUST my opinion.
Unread 12-16-2004, 08:00 AM

The current theory as explained to me (I had a lecture about taking my pain meds) is as follows:
When you have pain, your body alerts the pain hormone centers in the brain. Your brain tells your body 'oh my, you are in pain. Lets stress out'. So your body expends energy stressing out cuz it is in pain. If you take your pain meds, your brain sends out the message 'all is fine, heal away'....So the energy expended is on the healing process.

Remember the last time you had a huge fright, like almost having a car accident, someone scaring you, etc. Your respiratory rate went up, your heart rate, your adrenalin was pumping (Fight of Flight response) your muscles all tensed up, etc. When this all evens out, you get a tired, almost surreal feeling in your body....It is the same thing. We just are unable to feel it with pain, because it is more subtle, and we are already exhausted from the healing process. In essence, the hormone, respiratory, and muscular systems all act upon pain stimuli, and they are expending that energy, which causes more stress on the 'injured' part of us, and therefore we dont heal as well.

If anyone does not understand, let me know and I will explain in a different way. It makes huge sense to me now, and I still take pain meds when I feel pain. It is much fewer and farther between now, maybe taking 2 a week....I hope this helps ladies out to understand that it is vitally important to take thier meds until the pain has subsided enough, and they are well enough healed to not take them...

Hugs and biology lesson for today is complete!! Any questions????

Kat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register