Anyone NOT used post op pain meds? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone NOT used post op pain meds? Anyone NOT used post op pain meds?

Unread 12-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Anyone NOT used post op pain meds?

Hi,
I had the stuff they give you in hospital but when I went home I was sent with only Tylenol 3's. I used those for the first day at home, than stoped because it was making me dizzy and I started vomitting. So after that I took nothing but extra strenth tylenol for a few days. I have had an awesome recouvery with no hicups alone the way. I was back to full and all activity at 2.5 weeks. I have more energy than I've ever had, sleep through the nights and at 11 weeks, I;m at the gym doing it all since 8 weeks, 3 hour sessions.
Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2004, 12:20 PM

I was only on morphine while in the hospital....it actually made me feel worse because I was so nauseaus and sick. After being at home I took Advil and Tylenol. I felt great because I wasn't foggy brained and I could sleep at night because I wasn't sleeping during the day due to the drugs. If you can go drug free I would say go for it. By 5 weeks I was feeling awesome.....maybe that had to do with not taking the drugs, maybe not.

doxa
SAH July 29, 2004
Unread 12-16-2004, 02:38 PM

I had a LAVH BSO and was released from the hospital 24 hours afer surgery. I had very little pain in recovery and no pain after approx. 2 hours. I have had menstral cramps that were more painful than the hysterectomy. My advice is to try to be in the best physical condition possible before your surgery. Move around as much as possible after surgery even before the nurses get you out of bed. My doctor told me to move my feet and legs and take lots of deep breaths while still in bed. Get up and walk as soon as possible and keep moving when you get home. I can only wish for you that your surgery and recovery will be as easy and painless as mine has been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2004, 02:57 PM

From the day I left hospital I haven't taken any pain meds for my hyst.
I have taken nurofen once or twice but for the common headache.

I had a PCA in hospital but I didn't use it and from day 4 (when I realised I could) I refused all other pain meds offered.

Do you know what hurt the most? Besides the removal of the drain, the worst pain was the "anti-thrombosis" jab they gave me.
So they went straight out the window. I refused the anti-throm injections and stockings on the premise I felt better without and would take walks instead of chemicals.
The only thing I didn't refuse was my prescribed anti-biotics.
Unread 12-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Re: Anyone NOT used post op pain meds?

Quote:
Originally posted by lhoeft
if I knew there was a way to live through 24-48 hours of pain as a trade off to quicker recovery, I might be crazy enough to try it.
First of all, if you think that you are going to only have 24-48hrs of pain postop, then you better rethink the pain med thing. It is not true that if you don't take the medication you will heal faster, it is exactly opposite.
If you don't take the medicine when you need it (even at home) then your body is using its energy to help your body adjust and deal with the pain instead of using it to assist in your healing. Even if you are not a "fan" of pain meds, if you are in pain, you should take them. think about it, how are you going to do the walking you have to do if you are having severe pain? You can't.
If you take the meds as prescribed, you will not get addicted if that is what you are worried about. You will definately sleep better and that is the second thing that you have to do while recovering is resting and napping and sleeping. The 3rd is drinking plenty of water. Don't be afraid of them...use them if you need them, and trust me, postop in the castle you will need them. Most of us received IV pump of Morhpine or Dilaudid for 24 hrs and then switch to pills. I think those who don't take any narcotics after leaving the hospital is not the norm either. Most use something when they get home.
Unread 12-16-2004, 04:41 PM

To clarify, I meant not taking narcotic drugs. If it is possible I would prefer the NSAID route. I have read other threads where the levels of pain do vary wildy from person to person. The majority do seem to say the worst part is the first few days, so that's where my focus is. Thanks Kat for the biology lesson. It does make sense. However, if the pain can be managed without narcotic drugs and NSAIDs instead, I think it's worth a try. I had surgery on 11/2 and had morphine in recovery. It was horrible. I was groggy, foggy and could barely stand up without falling over. My question would be, how could I walk while drugged so badly? My hubby and a nurse made a sandwich out of me to keep me from keeling over. I ended up sleeping for hours, developed horrible bloating and constipation, and didn't feel right for about 3 days after. I'm guessing from what I've read on other threads that being bloated and constipated will only make matters worse during recovery.

Juniper - I've not heard of other women getting anti-thrombosis injections. Is this a common thing after surgery? Is walking a safe alternative? I'm so confused.
Unread 12-16-2004, 04:49 PM

I think you meant me.
In my hospital all ladies who were having reduced activity were given anti-throm injections.
This is beacuse lack of movement prevents the valves in your legs from working normally so you are higher risk of thrombosis.
walking causes the valves to send the fluids and blood back up your legs.
So IMO yes walking was/is a much safer alternative than pumping my body full of excess chemicals.
Unread 12-16-2004, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lhoeft
To clarify, I meant not taking narcotic drugs. If it is possible I would prefer the NSAID route. I have read other threads where the levels of pain do vary wildy from person to person. The majority do seem to say the worst part is the first few days, so that's where my focus is.
I also was talking about narcotic drugs. having already gone through the pain myself, I could not see taking anything other than narcotics the first few days AT LEAST after surgery. If you had a problem with morphine (which to me sounded like they overmedicated you) then tell your doc what happened and ask him/her what other meds can you use or make sure that you are not overmedicated.
While the levels of pain do vary from person to person, I have never heard of anyone taking only NSAIDs immediately postop and state that it worked. You need to be comfortable to recover properly. I was not so doped up that I couldn't walk. Now they usually don't get you to walk until the next day after hyst and the anesthesia is mostly not effecting you along with the morphine. If you do get too doped up, you need to let the nurses know so that they can decrease your pump injections.
Unread 12-16-2004, 05:05 PM

I'm eight days post op and using my pain meds (tylenol 3) cause I need them. It is a major stress to be in pain. I dont' want to scare anyone, but the pain with my surgery has been far worse than I expected. When my pain level goes up, my spirits go down. I get to feeling frustrated and helpless, then the tears follow. They prescribe pain pills for a reason, use them. I'd also like to say that every single situation is different, and just because a few ladies didn't need anything, doesn't mean diddly!!

Hope your surgery is uneventful
Unread 12-16-2004, 05:07 PM

In my pre-op appointment, the nurse told me that they give you morphine in the O.R. even before they cut because there's evidence that this reduces pain overall and speeds recovery. In the recovery room the nurses gave me morphine I.V......starting with a low dosage and working up to whatever dosage gave me pain relief. As it turned out, I only needed 1 shot of morphine in recovery and 3 shots of morphine on the floor. I graduated to Tylenol with codeine on the morning of the second day......and then by the third I was on plain Tylenol. I didn't find the pain bad at all.....I was very confortable. I was expecting much, much worse and was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't bad at all. The pain I experienced was less than a nasty headache.....seriously!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register