How Long Is Too Long for Pain Meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How Long Is Too Long for Pain Meds How Long Is Too Long for Pain Meds

Unread 12-16-2004, 10:50 AM
How Long Is Too Long for Pain Meds

I am 15 days post -op today and I Have my post-op appointment today, I have 2 pain pills left and Im doing ok during the early hours but around 3 in the afternoon My back hurts and my incision too. I only take a half of vicodin at night, I have tried motrin but that does not help. My question is will my Dr. give me more pain meds or am I left to suffer, I find night time to be very rough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2004, 10:55 AM

I think he will give you more pain pills. I was afraid too of getting "hooked" on the Vicoden. I took one pill every night, if I didn't, I couldn't sleep!!!! I am in my 5th week now, and I am doing so good, (except for a cold!!). In my 4th week I felt sooo much better, I think you will be able to go off the pain pills real soon, but don't be afraid to take them.

TAH/BSO on 11-15-04 abnormal bleeding, cervix removed h/o high grade SIL
Unread 12-16-2004, 11:04 AM

Thanks sunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2004, 11:48 AM

If you need them than ask for them. Everyone is different. I was off pain meds by day 4 and just took tylenol but I have a high pain tolerance.
Unread 12-16-2004, 12:12 PM

Up to 14 days post-op, I needed pain meds in me 24/7. I took "something" every 3 hours (for example, a vicodin at 9 a.m., then some ibuprofen at noon, and so on) so that everything wouldn't "wear off" at any time.

I was still waking up in the night in rather severe pain (because things WOULD wear off at night). Then one night I slept through the night -- which was heavenly!

If you feel you still need some medication, ask for it. I was a full 8 weeks post-op before I didn't take a dose of something at least 2 times a day, and I actually think I have a pretty high pain tolerance.

As the other ladies have said, everyone is different. If you have real pain, you do not have to be concerned about addiction. Your doctor will help you taper off the medicine if it becomes necessary. Good luck to you.
Unread 12-16-2004, 04:27 PM

Everyone heals differently so to judge whether or not you are in the norm for needing pain medicine is not possible. Talk to your doc tomorrow and explain everything to him/her and I am sure he will give you something to help with the pain late in the day and at night. If he says no, then explain to him again all about it until he gives in and says y es. Good lucka nd let us know how it goes.
Unread 12-16-2004, 05:27 PM

My personal opinion..........
If you NEED pain meds then sure take them, but do not do as my hospital encouraged... do not take pain meds incase you might get a pain later.
If you truly need it take it other wise lay off the chemicals - they only put your liver/kidneys and internals under more stress.

Identify your pain, is it pain or discomfort? Is it muscular aches from abnormal body postitions that could be eased by relaxing in a more comforatble position? Is it aches from doing too much that could be relieved by taking some time out.

From prolonged difficulty in straightening up fully and inability to walk "normally" due to my open incision, I had back ache today from walking about town, but when the pain in my back became too much - I went home and sat in my "comfy chair" a while and was later able to go to my dad's for his birthday - no pain meds involved.

But the most important bit :- If you genuinely need pain meds then take them.
Unread 12-17-2004, 11:35 AM

Thanks again ladies, I went to see my Dr. He gave me more pain meds and told me to Half them, and to take it easier, he says I am walking too much and that is what is causing the pain late in the day,but it sure is nice knowing I have the meds if I need them. I did not need them yesturday because I took it easier as Dr. orders.
Unread 12-17-2004, 01:11 PM

I am glad to hear that he gave you something to help, just follow docs orders and take it easier. I hope the rest of your recovery is uneventful!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register