Just diagnosed with cervical cancer. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just diagnosed with cervical cancer. Just diagnosed with cervical cancer.

Unread 12-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Just diagnosed with cervical cancer.

I was just diagnosed with cervical cancer a few days ago and meet with my oncologist for the first time next monday. My gyno said I was in Stage 1B1. If anyone out there could give me your own experience or any info. I'd greatly appreciate it. My mind is still going a hundred miles a minute thinking different things so any infor would help! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2004, 04:19 PM

Hi Carrie,

I talked to you in the chat room this morning. I am glad you found the place. Someone should be along soon who can talk to you about cervical cancer.

Sharon
Unread 12-16-2004, 06:27 PM

Hi Carrie20,

Sorry to hear you have joined our club. I was diagnosed in Apr 1991 with invasive cervical cancer and carcinoma in situ in the uterus. Boy what a confusing time!!! My gyn recommended I see a radiation oncologist. I went to the radiation oncologist and it got real confusing...the options were radical hysterectomy where they would take out everything plus lump nodes or radiation treatment. Decisions...decisions...I was at a loss, getting dressed in the radiation oncologist exam room. I cried out to heaven (in my mind) for an answer. This time, the Lord saw fit to send me an immediate answer. He said, "Trust your gyn, who I had been seeing since my teens." My gyn, an older doctor with a lot of experience, recommended radiation first then total abdominal hysterectomy (TAH) and both ovaries to be removed (BSO).

That's what I did! The radiation is no picnic, but it is bearable. After radiation and the TAH/BSO, there was no sign of cancer. You have caught the cancer at a very early stage. Survival rate is very high. Look at me, I was diagnosed at age 32 and I am now 45 with a birthday just around the corner.

Hang in there!!! I just found this forum and I have received a lot of good advice and support.

Jeannie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2004, 08:06 PM
Walking in your shoes

Hi Carrie,

I understand how you feel as I was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer myself. My timeline of events- August- abnormal pap smear- September colposcopy- October- cervical conization- November- 2nd cervical conization due to pathology report returning as cervical carcinoma in situ, roughly meaning, cancer confined to my cervix. I got a call from my gynecologist the day before Thanksgiving, she said she removed all of the cancer from my cervix, but there were abnormal cells found in my endocervical canal. I was referred to an oncologist and saw him on Monday, he said that the cancer had spread to my uterus and scheduled me for a total abdominal hysterectomy with possible removal of the ovaries on December 30th. I know how scary it is. I ran across this website looking to talk to someone who could understand the fear and frustration of all of this. I know it's scary and please, e-mail me anytime, I would love to talk to you as I am going through the same thing myself. None of us here are alone in this. God Bless, and please contact me anytime.
Unread 12-16-2004, 09:35 PM

Carrie,
I too had cervical cancer but I was stage 1B2, a little bigger than yours. Because of the positioning of the tumor and the size, i did not have surgery but had radiation and chemo, which is now standard treatment for those of us who don't have surgery.

Your gyn/onc will be better able to tell you your exact stage and what the appropriate treatments will be.

My gyn/onc said that I had an 80% chance of no recurrence. My radiation/onc said 85% to 90%. Since your tumor is smaller, less than 5cm, your chances will be even higher.

Radiation and chemo wasn't fun, but it was very doable and you will not lose your hair. In 5 or 6 weeks it will be completed and you will be cancer free.

I know how overwhelming this is. I remember it well! It was actually something of a relief to see they gyn/onc and know my exact diagnosis and treatment plan. I was in treatment within just a few days of that appointment. Once treatment got underway, I was able to calm down and feel better. You will too.

Hugs and Comfort,
Janie

PS Feel free to email me here if you have specific questions, or for any other reason!
Unread 12-17-2004, 12:56 AM

Hello all. Well... i have stage one andenocarinoma stage 1 cervical cancer...sorry for the spelling. I have had a cone which confirmed all of this and im going to have a rah mid january 05. Its been a real kick in the pants i tell ya but i must remain strong. Its only stage 1 until the surgery is completed and re-stageing is done. I can't predict what will happen, and if you search google your likely to get depressed. Fact of the matter is all cancer kills when it can. But we have this web site that gives us hope and shows ...well me at least .....that it can be beaten!!!!
Unread 12-17-2004, 08:22 AM

Hi,
I was diagnosed with 1a cervical adenocarcinoma a little over 3 years ago. I had a TVH and have been fine and am considered cured. With stage 1b you will probably have a radical hysterectomy. Some women get radiation after. Stage 1b is early and your prognosis should be very good. It is very scary. G
Unread 12-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Thank you!

Thank you all so much for sharing your stories with me. Your stories give me hope for a good recovery. This website has been so great with information and I only hope one day I can offer someone else some great advice!
Unread 12-17-2004, 01:09 PM

Hi Carrie,

I've recently been diagnosed with stage 1B2 cervical cancer and have just embarked on chemo with chemoradiation shortly. It is very scary, I know every one of my days is consumed with the thoughts, consequences and knock on effect of this disease. One positive thing I must add though is that you realise just how precious life is when faced with cancer. The waiting between diagnosis and treatment and any tests is really the worst bit, but once you have a plan and start treatment is does feel better I promise.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat further with a fellow 1B sufferer!

I hope all goes well with your appointment and that you get things moving to rid this disease soon.

Love
Kayla
xxxxx
Unread 12-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Also just diagnosed

I too was just diagnosed with cervical cancer. Stage 1B. Started with a glandular abnormality at my yearly pap, then adenocarcinoma after my colposcopy. I had a cone biospy and a D&C on Nov. 26th and the entire biopsy was cancerous and there were cancer cells in my uterus too. I've been to the gynecologic oncologist and am scheduled for a hysterectomy Jan 6th, one week after my 34th birthday. My doctor is leaving my ovaries, which I am thankful for. He said radiation was an alternative to a hysterectomy with the same results but recommended the hysterectomy b/c I am fairly young and healthy and didn't want to expose my healthy organs to the radiation. I've been in shock ever since, to say the least but I was glad to find this site and hope to get some helpful support from others. It helps to know there are people out there who can truly relate and have made it through the dark times!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register