Parts of cervix left behind | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Parts of cervix left behind Parts of cervix left behind

Unread 12-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Parts of cervix left behind

Hi,
I'm new here because nobody has been able to give me a satisfactory answer to my question. I finally opted to have a hysterectomy beginning of the year after having bleeding problems all my life, plus an ovarian cyst that would not go away. The surgery was done abdominally but problem is the surgeon missed a piece of the cervix (it was supposed to be completely removed). I only know because it causes spotting each time I would normally have my period (still have one ovary). What really bugs me is the fact that I had that surgeon look at it several times and each time he said he could not see anything that might be causing the problem, while another doctor found it and mentioned that it should have been pretty obvious to see, because it's different tissue....
My question is, how is something like this corrected so I would not have to worry about yearly paps anymore. I'm really just looking for some independant feedback so I'll know what I need to do.
Thank you for your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2004, 09:33 AM

Hi Popel,

I had my cervix cauterized during surgery to prevent a mini period.

I have heard of a cauterization procedure done as an outpatient in the Dr's office. I could suggest mentioning it to your Drs. On H.S., I have seen several SAH and LSH ladies who were not cauterized look into it.

I have a yearly pap smear with a cauterized cervix.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 12-17-2004, 09:51 AM

Hi Popel,
You need to have a yearly pap with or without a cervix!! Sorry but it is true. My dcotor told me I did not need one either, but I am of the belief that it is vital to good health anyhow! It only takes one cervical cell to cause cancer.... Hugs to you!!
Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2004, 11:42 AM

My understanding is you need a pap with or without a cervix for two reasons: In cases where the cervix is removed, there are usually some remaining cerivical tissues left that should be checked and in cases where the cerivix is left in or removed, the pap will check for vaginal cancer. Vaginal cancer I understand is fairly rare but it does happen. I am 10 months post op and everytime I see the surgeon, he does a pap and I had my cervix removed.
Unread 12-17-2004, 01:09 PM

Whether or not you have a cervix your doc might make you have a pap yearly, I know I still do.
Unread 12-17-2004, 06:30 PM
pap tests

I have been advised to still have yearly paps, just to check out things "down there". My OB/Gyn reminded me that vaginal cancer is still a remote possibility. And as I have cancer on both sides of my family, I will be taking up her advice just to be on the safe side.

Cam
Unread 12-17-2004, 07:14 PM

Thank you for your concerns. I'm really not that worried about the pap tests, I'm more worried about the procedure to correct the problem with the leftover cervix tissue that still causes spotting.
How is it done and will the procedure lay me up for a few days?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register