How much walking? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much walking? How much walking?

Unread 12-17-2004, 11:08 AM
How much walking?

I'm having my surgery on the 21st and I was wondering how much walking we have to do every day in order to recover without major problems.

Constantly I see some sisters mention "walking", so I'd like to know what would be considered a good walk. Going from my bed to the bathroom? Going around the house for 5, 10 , 15 minutes?

I have no idea. Please shed some light here.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2004, 11:38 AM
How much walking?

i was told to walk around the house 3 to 4 times a day.i can tell u the more u walk the better u will fell.
Unread 12-17-2004, 11:45 AM
How much walking?

I would say to walk as much as you feel comfortable with. I started out walking to the end of my driveway 3 days post-op. I increased a little every day until I was walking for 20 minutes around my neighborhood 2-3 times a day. It felt great and I am convinced that is part of the reason I had no complications. I slept well and had no constipation problems. The important thing is to listen to your body. If you get tired, quit and put your feet up. Then see if you're up for it the next day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2004, 11:58 AM
How much walking?

Hi. I had a TAH on Nov. 23rd. The day after my surgery, the nurses encouraged me to start walking short distances around the ward. I felt pretty good. I would take a short walk before lunch and before dinner and sometimes before bed. That was about enough.

At home, after the drugs and anesthetic wore off, I found it harder to walk. Walks then consisted of going to the bathroom and back. To the fridge to get some water and back and the odd lap around the house before heading back to the couch. I swear the narcotics gave me energy and made me feel like superwoman!

Stairs weren't a problem for me ... just took them slowly and only did them twice a day...once in the morning to come down and once at night to go to bed. That was enough.

As time goes on (three weeks now), I find my energy levels are down. I had more energy at the hospital which I attribute to the morophine high! I went for a walk recently to the mailbox at the end of my short street. Thought I did great! Two hours later, I felt nauseated and exhausted! So, you will find out what your limits are. You may be able to do more or less. Just take it day by day!

So, in a nutshell, walking is a gradual process. Listen to your body!

Best of luck,

Sarah
Unread 12-17-2004, 01:02 PM
How much walking?

Thanks very much for giving me the picture regarding walks.

My goodness, I have learned so much these past few days. You guys are fantastic!
Unread 12-17-2004, 01:27 PM
How much walking?

Hi,

A good rule of thumb is to walk about ten minutes an hour while you're awake. That can be inside the house or outside, as long as you're not going over rough terrain or in danger of slipping on wet pavement or ice.

When you start taking longer walks, be sure to only walk half as far as you feel up to going, because, after all, you still have to turn around and come back.

s,

Lisa
Unread 12-20-2004, 09:14 AM
How much walking?

they had me up and out of bed to walk late the evening of my surgery. They just handed me the emesis basin so i could barf and made me get up anyways. i thought they were especially cruel! the first time I only walked the legth of the bed two times. second time to the door and after that it was down to the end of the hall several times a day. by the third day I was pacing the entire ward just chomping at the bit to go home. carrying my little yellow purse as I went hahaa. at my two week visit he said walk as much as I can stand to. its one of the best things I can do for recovery.
Unread 12-20-2004, 09:35 AM
How much walking?

Thanks again for the wonderful insights, girls.

My surgery is tomorrow and now I am finally starting to become a little nervous. It's almost as if I am seeing things for the last time. Odd and sad!

Only this morning did I realize that the period I'm having now is the last period of my life. Somehow I am starting to mourn something...

Oh, well... I need to go out and rent a good comedy!

Vera
Unread 12-20-2004, 09:47 AM
How much walking?

Quote:
Originally posted by VLBD

My surgery is tomorrow and
Only this morning did I realize that the period I'm having now is the last period of my life. Somehow I am starting to mourn something...
Vera
I wish you great success in your surgery tomorrow and I now have you down on my calender for sister prayers. I will pray for you and your family and pray for the doc performing the surgery (always do)

It is hard to explain because it really can't be explained, but you will probably mourn for the loss of your uterus. I know I did and others have as well. Just consider it normal if you are emotional...that is very common.
You are now a lady in waiting and will soon be a Princess and you need to behave as such. The only thing you should be doing for at least 2 weeks:resting, napping, drinking lots of water, walk around the house3-4 times a day, rest and nap somemore. Do not feel guilty about it and dont sweat the small stuff. No cleaning, dishes, laundry, sweeping, etc. If you get bored, and you might, consider starting a hobby that you always wanted to do but never seemed to have the time to start. Now is a very good time. Start a journal, here on the site or on paper athome. I prefer on paper because Ifind I can express myself better on paper. Don;t be afraid to take the pain meds---if you are in pain, take them. You can not heal if you are in pain, your energy is used up elsewhere instead of healing. Protein promotes healing. Keep on top if the pain, if it gets away from you it will be harder to get back under control. Drink all that water and use some stool softeners so that the BM's wont hurt too bad.
And lastly:---Take this time to yourself to "find yourself"...reflect on your life and take stock on what is important to you and make a plan to change it or anything. You will probably not get this much time off again.
I know I went way off and only talked about the walking a little , but I felt all these things are just as important.
Good luck and take care and when you are up to it, let us know how you are doing when you get home!
Unread 12-20-2004, 09:58 AM
How much walking?

Marian, thank you so much for your inspiring words. I will try to remember them as much as possible. And if I feel I am forgetting them, I promise I will read your message again.

All the best to you!

Vera

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register