Appetite? How's It Been? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Appetite?  How's It Been? Appetite? How's It Been?

Unread 12-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Appetite? How's It Been?

Hi - interesting thread...

My surgery was 11-15-04 and I have lost 9 pounds. My appetite has definitely dropped. I lost 1 pound a day for 4 days in my second week and then it all balanced out. I am walking 4 miles a day and doing 1.5 hours of yoga 4-5 times a week. I am vegan, so I eat no animal products which helps alot since it cuts out most of your food choices...

I just wish this sadness would leave, it's very frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2004, 06:16 PM
food and appetite

I had surgery just over a week ago. My appetite is maybe 1/4 the way it was pre-surgery. But I am also drinking a lot more. I sometimes have to make myself eat a little something so that I won't get an upset stomach when I take some of the pain meds (tylenol/ibuprofen/diclofenac). Lunch I could generally skip all together. But I do find myself a little hungrier around supper time. I mentioned that I was having a craving for my favorite pizza this afternoon, so sweet BF called from his work and ordered one delivered for me. Leftovers for tomorrow!
Unread 12-17-2004, 07:46 PM
Appetite? How's It Been?

Im not eating much either. four days post op Ive lost 3 pounds. No intrest in food even though I dont have to cook. Church just keeps bringing more food. Totally Awesome considering Im a single parent.

Hope to keep up the lose.

TVH kept ovaries. had extereme bleeding.
Doc said my uterus still seeped blood even after he took it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2004, 07:50 PM
Appetite? How's It Been?

Yeahh im glad im not the only one! Gosh I thought I was the only one with my appetite gone. Now I know I need to lose 50 more pounds lol so this was a blessing in disguise but I also know that I need to nourish my body as well. I'm glad this topic posted I had only a few cookies, half of bag of Doritos and half of my dinner plate from dinner LAST night. So yes I mostly ate junk but the cookies and doritios would have been gone in 5 minutes lol but thank goodness I have kids because they ate the rest of my junk and wee happy too

Carol
Unread 12-17-2004, 07:54 PM
Appetite? How's It Been?

Hi,
I to have kids that eat all the junk food before I can get to it.
But right now I have a taste for nothing. Like I only eat because I know I need to.
Unread 12-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Appetite? How's It Been?

I have lost 10 lbs. Have little interest in food. I force myself to eat 3 meals a day. Personally I don't think this is a good thing.
Unread 12-17-2004, 10:56 PM
Appetite? How's It Been?

I can relate with this post. I am now getting my appetite back a little but for the last two weeks I haven't been very hungry. My stomach was always upset and I just had to eat to give me energy. I have lost about 8 lbs since my surgery two and a half weeks ago and for the first time in 13 yrs I can take my wedding ring off. I have been told by a lot of people that I look like I have lost a lot of weight.

I just worry that as my appetite comes back, and I can't exercise like I did before, I will gain the weight back. Luckily, my appetite hasn't come back completely and I have braces and rubber bands I wear on my teeth that prevent me from eating (I have to brush after every time I eat).

I still have some swelling in my belly so the clothes I can fit into everywhere else won't probably fit around my stomach or feel good around my stomach.

I am trying to keep some healthy habits as we have had meals brought in for almost the last two weeks. The food is great but sometimes fattening. Luckily, my appetite hasn't been great so I eat a little and then I am done. I also try to eat salad every day and some fruits to keep me regular. I think this helps too.

Good luck

Lori
Unread 12-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Appetite? How's It Been?

Next month will mark an entire year since my hysterectomy. I haven't had the appetite that I had pre-surgery. I've lost weight and that's fine with me. Although I wasn't overweight to begin with, I still worried about weight gain since you always hear these horror strories about weight gain after surgery--especially when you take HRT.

I've always been athletic and have a home gym which I actually use.

This year was so hard for me since I couldn't really do any exercise except walking. But, now I am back to lifting weights--only they are lighter, so as not to hurt myself. I also recently bought an elliptical trainer.

I also just started doing Pilates. I have the Winsor Pilates and I just love the 20 minute workout. In fact, there is an entire thread on Pilates on the Hysteritaville message board. It will definitely strengthen and tone the entire body and it is good for our bones. You can't beat that!
Unread 12-18-2004, 01:46 AM
Appetite? How's It Been?

Hello.

Right after surgery in the hospital my appetite was none existant...just the thought of food made me nauseated (I took one bite of my pancakes and almost spit it out)...the first week at home, I was hungry but ate very small portions. At week two I was pretty much back to normal and craving egg rolls and pizza. Go figure.

I went to the doctor's office at one week out and according to their scale, I had lost about 8 pounds...and at that time (and now) I have a very, very large and swollen belly. My belly did not completely swell up until a few days after returning home. God bless.
Unread 12-18-2004, 03:33 AM
Appetite? How's It Been?

I lost my appetite they day they diagnosed my cancer and told me I had to have a hyster, and it has not returned. I didnt eat anything but a couple of pieces of toast when I was in hospital (7days). Now I 'forget' to eat...then realise at 2pm that I should eat something...make a sandwich generally and eat it because I should not because I want it. Most nights I eat a small dinner because I have my kids that need feeding, but if they arent here, zippo...dont eat!!

I have lost approximately 10lbs since my surgery. In the two years prior to my surgery I had already lost approx 70lbs. I still want to lose another 30ish. I know this isnt the way to do it, but food (which I used to love) has no appeal for me whatsoever. Weird.

Before my first surgery (8 Nov), I was gyming it four times a week, walking heaps, running up and down stairs at work etc, not now. so I am just thinking my body doesnt need feeding because I am not doing anything!!!!

I just cant be bothered preparing or consuming food anymore....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register