Yeast issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Yeast issues

Okay, so if douching is not the answer, how do you keep this under control? I don't douche very often (maybe twice a year if I happen to think about it), and that is why I wondered if I wasn't doing it enough.

I'm taking acidophilus(sp?) as a supplement hoping that it will help, and used an over the counter med to get rid of it this time, but I'm getting tired of paying to fix this problem, when I'd just like to find out what's causing it, and how to avoid it if possible.

I can't just call the doctor, because he retired, and I don't have insurance anymore and can't afford the $80.00 to $100.00 for an office visit to a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Yeast issues

having problems too, wondering if someone else will respond? good luck
Unread 12-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Yeast issues

Douching is definately not good for you. If you are having trouble with recurrent yeast infections even after you use the medication that is available over the counter, you really have no choice but to see a doctor. You shouldn't have to see your GYN, you could probably go see your GP. you need to find out if it is truly yeast or a bacterial infection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2004, 10:34 AM
A yeast remedy

My gyn years and years ago suggested this, and it's also in the book, "A Woman's Guide to Yeast Infections". Use at your own risk, etc. The usual cautions about making sure you confirm with your doctor that it's yeast if it doesn't get better still apply here.

What you do is get boric acid powder from the drugstore. Many still carry it because I guess some people still use it for eyewash. DO NOT EAT BORIC ACID.

Get empty gelcaps from GNC or a health food store and fill them with the boric acid. It doesn't really seem to matter what size capsules you get. I dump some boric acid powder in a bowl and push the ends of the capsule together in the bowl full of boric acid powder. If you find a less messy way, I'd love to hear it. Insert one capsule intravaginally every night for one or two weeks, then once a week thereafter. This makes the vagina more acid and keeps things kind of rinsed.

CAUTION: do not eat boric acid!
ADDITIONAL WARNING: the boric acid causes a lot of discharge, especially the first day or two, and a lot of moisture thereafter. You'll seriously want a pantiliner. So the downside is that this is a messy process. The upside is that it is pretty cheap.

I don't use this often because I get yeast seldom enough now that I can spend the bucks on the one-night remedies. But when I did get them a lot because of BC pills, this really helped to keep things under control.

Other things I did, and still do: I take showers rather than baths. I use fragrance-free toilet paper, soap, detergent and dryer sheets. I wear cotton or mesh underwear. *Anything* you can do to keep the area dry and non-irritated helps.

Good luck. I know this is a VERY frustrating problem.
Unread 12-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Yeast issues

I'll have to try the boric acid trick. What I do now is also very cheap. I use listerine mouth wash. I take half a paper towel soak it with listerine and insert it. It does sting and burn but it usually immediatly gets rid of the other stinging and burning. If the yeast is not too bad I'll use half strength. I have friends who use tea tree oil, garlic cloves peeled wrapped in gause and tied to a string for easy removal and one friend swears by seabreeze antiseptic..

Good Luck,
Marla
Unread 12-30-2004, 03:01 PM
Yeast issues

While Marla and Denise have provided economical ways to fight a yeast infection, I must suggest that you consult a doctor before using any of these remedies, especially since you have had hyst with cervix removal.
I am all for home remedies and herbal products, but you need to run it by your doc first just to be on the safe side.
But like I said before, you really need to have it checked out by a doc, because it could be a bacterial infection instead of a yeast problem.
Unread 01-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Yeast issues

I agree it's important to consult your doctor. I'm also aware of the economic realities of living without insurance. You might wish to check out This title , which is apparently still in print, for a wealth of lifestyle and other changes you can make to reduce your incidence of yeast infections. If you've got yeast, and you're sure it's yeast, and your doctor is sure it's yeast, and you get rid of it, and a month later it's back, some of the techniques in this book can help reduce the recurrence.

I know it's a frustrating problem.
Unread 01-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Yeast issues

You could also have a systemic yeast infection (candida) and should consult with a doctor knowledgble in nutritional and/or alternative medicine. If you have a systemic infection it makes getting rid of vaginal ones almost impossible if you haven't dealt with the bigger issue.

Just a thought -- this was a major problem for me, but is now under control.
Unread 01-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Yeast issues

i get yeast off and on

my gynae said that it lives naturally in there but gets triggered off under certain circumstances .. sometimes antibiotics.. sometiems hormonal changes.. basically anything that affecst the ph of the vagina

I have heard of folks suggesting youghrt but I dont know if they mean to eat it or douche

mei
Unread 01-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Yeast issues

Hi,

I think you eat the yogurt. I did have a pharmacist tell me that you can get the acidophulis(sp?) powder and douche with it.

I never tried it. I just get the over the counter cream (monistat).

I did go to wearing all cotton panties this summer trying to keep everything dry.

Jeannie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register