Need support | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-16-2004, 09:25 PM
Need support

hi ladies. you all sound very well versed in both technology and compassion. i need some of both. i will be 6 wks post op LAVH, BSO & cervix. bowel symptoms got me started in seeking help- once i realized a correlation between my menstrual cycle and the onset of diahrreah. now that i have no menstrual cycle, i have scant amounts of bowel activity at all. i take mom once every week or week and a half, and the explosion begins. it just tears up my lower abdomen. my gyn put me on zelnorm and lots of stool softeners, but it doesnt phase me. she got an appt for me with a GI doc monday, 12-20. she felt i needed to be seen right away. im starting to fall apart emotionally. i have rhuematoid arthritis- so an autoimmune connection is a definite possibility. my rheumatologist is really thinking that this may be the link- an inflammatory bowel disease. i am immunosuppressed and take lots of ugly meds. i have family coming in from all over the country to my small house, and they begin to arrive on tues. and how much more can i put my dh through. he says i am a 36 year old trapped in the body of an 80 year old. sometimes i feel like he is right. my back hurts so badly i can hardly stand it- almost to the point of nausea. ive only posted twice, but i am at the end of my rope here. i hope someone can pick up on this message and send me something, anything. this is just really hard. we are women, we are strong, and we will make it. sometimes we just have to stop and cry for a while. im going to bed where i will pray for strength, patience, and that someone will respond with some sort of perspective.
thanks, jp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2004, 07:22 AM
Need support

(((JP)))

Sorry to hear that you are going through all of that. I hope that the GI doc will be able to help you and I will pray that it is something simple and not related to the RA. We are women and are strong, but crying is a good thing. It cleanses you and gives you the chance to start with a clear head so cry all you want. We are women, we have that right
I don't have any wise wisdom or perspective, I just felt touched by your post and wanted to send you a cyber hug and let you know that I will be praying for you. Please keep us updated on the GI appt and hopefully things will work out well.
Take care!
Unread 12-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Need support

thankyou so much for your concern, marian. so the crying was last night, and a boo hoo session it was. ugh. you know, it is the fear of the unknown that is so difficult. i think if i knew what to expect or what was coming, i would deal with this more easily. i am having so many pms type symptoms! it makes no sense. back pain that radiates to my groin and burns like crazy, crampy belly pain that radiates to my back. just so miserable. dont get me wrong, i cleaned three bathrooms, did lots of laundry, and went to a school christmas party. but, it is evening, after dinner, the family is watching a movie, and i just ache so much. the pain meds dont do anything. that in itself scares me. and today i am at that magical 6 wk mark where all should be so well.
here's a question: do you think i should do the weekly MOM blowout before i go to the GI doc on monday? ive never been to him before. i hate going there backed up as i am.
this all sounds so crazy. its hard for others to understand. they seem to overreact (my mother) or completely underreact (dh). i dont know even know how they are supposed to react. but, anyway, thanks so much for your reply. i just cant tell you how much i needed someone to respond or care or know or want to know. it means a lot.
jp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Need support

You are so welcome, that is what I am here for
it sounds like a lot of your pain and discomfort is from overdoing. Just because you are almost at 6 weeks doesn't mean that you are healed. It can take 6-12 months for everything to heal. When your doc tells you at 6 weeks to start resuming normal activities, he means "start" no jump in...LOL
You have been inactive, had major organs removed and been through heck, you can't expect to go back to normal without an adjustment period. Plan your days and activities so that you are not doing everything in 2 days, spread it out. You might not want to clean yourself out unless you are uncomfortable so he knows what he is dealing with if that makes sense.
The pain meds won't do anything because your pain is out of control. You were probably hurting pretty good earlier in the day and that is when you should have taken the medicine and stopped doing what you were doing. Pace yourself. If you wait until the pain is excruciating the meds won't help as much as you want them to.
Good luck and I will still be sending prayers and good positive thoughts your way.
Keep me posted!
Unread 12-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Need support

(((JP)))

I'm with Marian here. I think you're doing way too much sweetie. Slow down heaps. As Marian says, just because we get the magic 6 week figure and we're supposed to be all healed up and back into life, it doesn't work that way for a lot of us. Give it time. Slow down as much as you can (I know that's hard at this time of the year but you've got to do it), put your feet up and relax.

Hope you find some relief soon. Take care.

Unread 12-17-2004, 08:54 PM
Need support

You came to the right place to whine!! And you full well have the right to!
I pray you the best!
Blessings,

Carrie
Unread 12-18-2004, 07:57 AM
Need support

(((((jp)))))) I'm so sorry you've been having such a hard time I do hope that things improve for you in the near future.

I have IBS and, since my hyst, my symptoms have both increased and changed so that I find that it is much harder to manage the IBS just by ensuring that I watch what I eat: not only is stress and hormonal changes a trigger for IBS, since the bowels tend to settle in the space vacated by the uterus, this can cause a lot of grief to those of us who's bowels are.... .... irritable!!!

I agree that you shouldn't cleanse yourself before seeing the GI: you want him/her to see what is going with you. If there is a blockage, but you forced things out, diagnosis might be harder.

I also agree that you have been doing wayyyyy too much: while it's usual for doctors to clear us to resume our normal activities around the 6th week post-op, it is important to ease into those activities. Not only because full recovery takes from 6 months to one full year, but also because you've been taking it easy for several weeks and you don't want to shock your body by doing it all at once. At this stage of recovery, it's important to listen to your body. Some signs that you need to slow down are the return of the swelly belly, pain and feeling very tired. Even after I returned to work, I would slow down, put my feet up and remind myself (and others) that I was still a freshly crowned : laundry can always wait!!!!
Unread 12-18-2004, 08:35 AM
Need support

hi there all. that is what i get for trying to hide in a quiet place. all the people that take the time to show they care- that is just amazing. i feel a bit silly, all the whining. i also know better, i am in the health care industry, but the dreaded perfectionism and high expectations can really get in my way. its crazy, i dont want to show the people that i am closest to- or really anyone that i am having a hard time. i didnt just begin to do life at 6 wks, i have been for several. so yesterday wasnt as out of the ordinary as it sounded. i get a little wrapped up and begin to think this is all in my head. this just cant continue. in fact, i had complete testing with misdiagnosis 2 mo before the hyster. doubts can just circle and surface very easily. so, thanks for your compassion. this is a place where people must have divine gifts in that area. i hope some for some personal advocacy (trying to build that) and professional accuracy (at 830 mon morn) in the future! blessings to you all, jp

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register