About adhesions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

About adhesions About adhesions

Unread 12-18-2004, 07:04 PM
About adhesions

I never gave the adhesion issue much thought until I started reading thru these great forums. I'm 1 week post op and I know I over-did it a couple days, but now am absolutely horrified to do so again. As an RN I have seen what adhesions can do, but never thought about them in regards to my own surgery. Has anyone developed them? What kind of over-doing it has/can cause them? I am hoping I didn't do anything the past week to put me at risk for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2004, 09:26 PM
About adhesions

Adhesions are common after surgery. The pain they may cause can be quite severe as can the possible complications they can cause. They are an almost inevitable outcome of surgery - about 95% of women undergoing a hysterectomy will develop adhesions. Not all adhesions will cause pain or problems. Some people go through life never even knowing they have them. Then there are those that can have a small amount of them but suffer a great deal of pain & sometimes ongoing health issues because of them. Their location and what they are adhered to can make a big difference in the issues they may create. Unfortunately our bodies form adhesions after surgery as a defense mechanism to the trauma and tissue/organ handling that takes place during surgery.

Unfortunately our bodies form adhesions after surgery. Adhesions form as a defense mechanism to the trauma and tissue/organ handling that takes place during surgery. The formation process begins before we leave the operating room.

The only way to positively diagnosis adhesions is by having lapraoscopic surgery.

Here are a few sites and information that better describe adhesions; why they develop, treatment options & possible prevention:

What Causes Adhesions?

How Are Adhesions Treated?

You might also want to check out the HysterSister Resources section on Adhesions

I had my hysterectomy about 3 years ago. I had more surgery 6 months ago to remove my right ovary and adhesions. I followed all my post-op instructions after my hysterectomy - adhesions can form even if you do everything you are supposed to.

You are early in your recovery - get as much rest and pampering as you can. Trying to do too much, too soon can greatly increase your risk of serious or permanent complications.

Here is the link to an article you may find helpful:

What could happen if I did too much too soon?

s
Unread 12-19-2004, 12:18 AM
About adhesions

I am an RN too and I have seen my share of small bowel obstruction from adhesions also. However, I have never overdid it , mainly because I am a big baby...LOL...so for me that was not the case for their complications.
As you can see by my sig line, I have had many surgeries to remove them.. I have the dense thick ones and they get worse after each surgery. I am currently in pain management and am filing for disability. I can not sit or stand for longer than 1-2 hours without the pain becoming severe and this is on all the meds I am on: MS Contin 45mg twice a day and Percocet 7.5mg 4 times a day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register