almost 6 wks. post op, when can I start exercising? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

almost 6 wks. post op, when can I start exercising? almost 6 wks. post op, when can I start exercising?

Unread 12-19-2004, 12:20 PM
almost 6 wks. post op, when can I start exercising?

Im almost 6 wks, after a TAH, I seen my doc last week, she said I was healing up just fine, I can resume sex next week, but I forgot to ask her when I can start to exercise, and how should I start out at it. She said I wont even need to see her until next year, so, I cant believe I forgot to ask her. Also, she removed my cervix, would I still need yearly paps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2004, 12:29 PM

This one might be worth a call to your doctor, because each of us heals differently. At six weeks my doctor really only wanted walking, nothing that would put any strain on my abdomen. Did OK light weights for arms. Others here have gone back to exercising at this point. I wasn't released at six weeks, though. Since you were released, you may have more options than some of us!

Sara
Unread 12-19-2004, 12:37 PM

Hi Dizzy,

I agree with Sara. You could check with your Dr. first. I went back to the gym at 6 weeks with my Dr's okay. I just started back slowly and built up.

On a pap smear, I kept my cervix and do require an annual pap smear. I have read on H.S. that many Hyster Sister Drs recommend that they get an annual pap smear even if they do not have a cervix. From what I understand, cancerous cells can still develop in the area around the top of the vagina, where the cervix was removed and a pap smear can give early detection.

Best wishes,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2004, 08:19 PM

Mary is right. Even though you no longer have your cervix, you can still develop cancer in the vagina. So, annual pap smears are still necessary. As for exercising...........I saw my Dr. last week for my 4 wk. post op appt. and he said I could resume normal activities. When I asked if I could start exercising, he said yes. Specifically he said to listen to my body. If a particular activity hurt, stop and rest. I too am notscheduled to return until next year.

Swelly Belly still haunts me. Today I attempted to get some Christmas shopping done. Out and about for a few hours and I was pretty swollen by the time I got home. I guess we just need to take it slow and easy!

If you have questions, don't hesitate to call and ask to speak with your Dr. Better safe than sorry!

Kathy
Unread 12-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Re: almost 6 wks. post op, when can I start exercising?

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzy33
Im almost 6 wks, after a TAH, I seen my doc last week, she said I was healing up just fine, I can resume sex next week, but I forgot to ask her when I can start to exercise, and how should I start out at it.

Also, she removed my cervix, would I still need yearly paps?
Don't try and guess on the exercise issue, you need to call and ask your doc about that one.
Logic would suggest that since you don't have your cervix you don't need a yearly pap, but my doc says that I do....to mainly look at the risk of vaginal cancer. Each doc is different, but a lot of sisters here have to have them. I know...it stinks
Unread 12-20-2004, 12:55 PM

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the advice. I will call my doc, and Ill just take it slow and easy. I cant stand this swelly belly thing either! will it ever go away? I hope everyone has a great holiday!
Unread 12-20-2004, 08:44 PM

I had my six week check up today, I will be six weeks tomorrow and he said I could resume exercise now. He said I was healing really well. I want to start back at curves so that is good for me.

Christi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register