Help Ladies! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-20-2004, 06:32 AM
Help Ladies!

I'm back 4 days post op...they took it all ...cleaned house is what I say... TAH and BSO.. I have not had a Bm ...lots of gas though how normal is this ? I am having hot and cold flashes like mad. My Mom is with me and she swears everyone she has known left the hospital with hormons. I'm not taking anything but antibotics and pain meds. I was told he took some scar tissue from my intestions which may have been causing pain since it was intertwined in them (From 2 c-sections ) im sure. I'm just not sure what to expect next. I go back for a visit on wed but i'm not sure i can wait that long for answers. Help me if you can please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2004, 06:38 AM
Help Ladies!

Did you have Endo? If so this may be why they are delaying HRT, some Dr's like to wait a few weeks before the give you anything so that any remaining Endo can die off.

If this isn't the case I would ring your Dr and tell them about the symptoms you are suffering (I would do it in either case just to be on the safe side) They may be able to suggest or suply something to help ease the situation.

s
Unread 12-20-2004, 06:38 AM
Normal

Hi melon. Not having a bowel movement for 4 days is pretty normal, are you taking a stool softner? I was given a script for those when I came home from the castle, but even then I needed an enema. (sorry so graphic) I was not put on hormones when I left the hospital either, it was rough, like you say, mention this to your doc when you go back to him, and I'll bet hell give you something. I'm glad you are getting along well, remember to rest easy, and drink plenty of water, little short walks with help with the gas too. just around the house.... rest rest rest!
snickers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2004, 06:49 AM
Thank you Thank you

THank you for replying so soon...I feel better knowing I"M NOT ALONE !! keep the replys comming they really do help. I"M going to the BIG DADDY CHAIR now and my mom's gonna keep me posted on what you guys have to say.
Time to turn the fan on me again lol!!
Unread 12-20-2004, 08:02 AM
Help Ladies!

I kept my ovaries, so I can't address the hot flashes, etc. However, the gas is very normal. I thought the gas pain was worse than any insicion pain I had. Sometimes it will stop you in your tracks. If don't have Gas-X already, I would suggest that you send someone to the store. It helps.

Kim
Unread 12-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Help Ladies!

can't help ya with the hot flashes but on the BM topic Fleet makes a good stool softner and eat green veggies!
Fresh ones, not frozen or out of can. Steam brussel sprouts, broccoli, anything fresh and green and you'll be busy girl by the AM! Besides the relief it's a good hit of Vitamins that our bodies need for re-bound to get better!
Unread 12-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Help Ladies!

I too came home from the castle with no hormones. But at my staple removing appt. my Dr. did give a prescription for Estradoil. He said I was too young at 43 to go with out any hormones.
I also went a week with out a BM. I took stool softners every day. When I finaly went it was painful but a relief. Its almost like I'm hyper sensitive to all movement in my bowels. I am now 2 weeks post op and still feel intense gas pains. I have to stop what I'm doing to get through it. I am noticing each day its better, less intense. This site is ful of great advice, and it sounds like we all have gone through similar situations.
Good luck

Katlyn
Unread 12-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Help Ladies!

If you had endo, this is why you did not get hormones. I had LSH BSO on 11-17-04. I had endo so that is why I did not get HRT. And with what you stated (adhesions) I'm sure you had it. Mine was so bad my intestines was stuck to my uterus. So Dr wants to make sure that even the microscopic endo dries up and we will discuss Thurs at my 6 wk post op HRT. I'm going to do the bio stuff.

As far as gas, I did not have gas pain as bad bcz of the laproscopic surgery but boy was I constipated and did not have a bowel movement until day 6. But no medicines worked for me. What did work was 8 ozs of warmed prune juice and a slice of whole wheat toast toasted dark. This worked for me within 1 hr as I had a violent BM. I thought I was going to die! So look out and don't be surprised when you finally have a BM, it might be explosive! But after that you shouldn't have any problems. As a matter of fact, for dietary reasons, I still drink prune juice and treat it like a cup of coffee in the morning. It keeps me well regulated. I hope you continue to heal and please take it easy. God bless.
Unread 12-20-2004, 11:31 AM
To melon re: constipation and hot flashes

Hi melon,
Hope I clicked the right button to reply to you. I have endo too, and got hormones right away, but I was on hormones previous to my surgery, and did well with them. My sister was given hormones right away after her surgery and she had bad endo. For some women the longer you go without estrogen the worse you feel in many ways. Only you can judge this. Some can go without estrogen, and some women cannot tolerate estrogen. It's an experimental process. There's lots of good info on this site about hormones. I was on .1 mg of Climara before surgery for premature menopause (for 10 years) and after surgery I had to add an extra patch of .075 climara because I had one ovary removed in addition to my uterus which caused intolerable menopausal symptoms. I do fine on these 2 patches.

Re: the constipation-this is often helped with stool softeners, veggies, fruits, walking and estrogen. For myself, the estrogen by far, helps me the most with constipation. Pain meds often cause constipation as does inactivity, so it may take some time for you to sort out how much is due to these two factors, and how much is due to other factors. From my experience, one day of constipation made my pain worse, so I made sure to not let it build up.
Unread 12-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Help Ladies!

Hi Melon

As for the hot flashes and the such you have been through a rough time your body is ajusting to all sort of things.

Be nice to yourself and rest. Drink lots of cool water, it will help flush your sysetem in many ways, inculeding helping with your constipation.
Greentea with mint is also helpful for the digestion. Just found this and has help me so much. My stomach is less up set there for I can relax and let the stool softeners do there job.

If you are dealing with moodswings, find the things you enjoy the most surround yourself with them. Right now is a double hard time to go through this with the Holiday time. So if you need to steal some time alone no one will think bad of you for saying you need to laydown. Trust me I have done it at get togethers everyone is very understanding.

Write down all of your concerns before you go to your doctor that way you will be able to make sure you cover everything you need to best take care of you.

Take care you are in my prayers

Angel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register