Why are you happy with your hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why are you happy with your hysterectomy? Why are you happy with your hysterectomy?

Unread 12-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Why are you happy with your hysterectomy?

I need a new mind set. I would like to know (that is if you are) why are you happy with it. I see it as preplacing one problem with multi new problems.
I would love to hear why you are happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2004, 11:51 AM

Hi,

Well, I am glad I had it done, because I no longer have very painful cramps before period , during period, and after. I had developed fibroids, polyp, increased bleeding, and ovaries were getting cysts and pain during pre-period. My mom died of ovarian cancer. I felt better having ovaries out as well , even if dr said I should consider keeping them.

The only problem I am left to deal with is hot flashes and dryness. I was having hot flashes already before surgery so I was to have it anyway. I take vaginal cream for dryness. Dryness is another symptom I was starting to get. My hot flashes are managable.

Everyone is different. I had hoped to stick all my problems out till I completed menopause , but I felt things were starting to happen and change and we had tried different things and I was not happy with the way I felt. It was my decision to have it all out. I do feel better for doing it.

s
Unread 12-20-2004, 11:52 AM

#1 I'm alive!! even though my ovary was only pre cancerous when removed, I had been putting off dealing with it for a long time and probably would have continued that way if my Dr hadn't insisted. I have tried all types of treatment for my other problems with no success , I have been fortunated (knock knock) to not have replaced my problems with new ones , recovery was text book and the HRT is agreeing with so my mood and emotional state is the best it's been in many years. I am filled with optimism and look at life differently, having a strong faith and a positive attitude , in the big picture my problems are few and blessings many , seeing the good in myself and others. I've used my hysterectomy as a chance to change my life for the better ,stain and painfree, and be it god's will to give me a new set of problems I'll deal with them as a stronger person.
I hope and pray you also can find some sunshine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2004, 11:59 AM

weezy

yes i am happy that i had this done. my quality of life was down the tubes before.. i was anemic. year after year i was dealing with the enormously heavy periods. you don't realize how bad they are, you just deal with it.

i soo did not want this surgery, that is why i tried alternatives. first black cohash soy and vitamins. then i had an ablation neither of these worked then the pain increased after the abalation. i was in tears i hurt so bad. i was bleeding so bad at the end i was afraid to leave my bathroom knowing it was pointless to put an overnite pad on beacuse in 30 min i would need a new one it felt like my insides were pouring out.

now i am pain free. and free of living my life around my period.
here i am 5 months later, still not 100%. but optimistic that thing will be soon.

jane321
Unread 12-20-2004, 12:07 PM

Hi I hope you feel better soon about your situation.
Im not happy because I had it but I tried other things first that only made me sick.
I had a period in oct that was 15 days(norm 3) and it was only getting heavier with massive blood clots. They put me on progestin which didnt work so my doc put me on birth control pills 4TIMES a day for 7DAYS then hoped for a normal period. It didnt work so the hospital put me back on 4 PILLS a day until I saw the OB. I got sooo sick.

The OB wanted to try putting me on 1 pill a day and only let me have 4 periods a year because I bleed to much. He went on vacation and I bled really bad on 1 pill so doc on call put me on some other med that I had to take 1 every hour for 6 hours and then twice a day after that.
It slowed the bleeding but didnt stop it.(I was going thru 2-3 pads an hr at that time) So I called back and he had me take 3 of the pills ALL AT ONCE and then go back to two a day, to get me thru till my doc could see me.

Thats when we decided it was time for it to come out.
Doc said that even after he took out my uterus it was STILL seeping blood. Which isnt right.

TVH 12-13-04 kept my ovaries
Unread 12-20-2004, 12:19 PM

Hi Weezy,

Why am I happy?? I got my quality of life back. I feel 47 years young NOT old. No more fibroids, no more aunt flows, no more b.c. and I have my ovaries so I have not gone through menopause yet. And, I have two tiny hip incisions, no big scar, and I was a candidate to keep my cervix. No weight gain and my energy level is high.

Yeah...I am a pretty happy camper with my LSH. I got everything I wanted with my Dr. and my hyst.

Mary
Unread 12-20-2004, 12:26 PM

Here's why I am happy...

1. No more cramps, headaches and back aches.
2. No more "peeing" blood.
3. No more fear of any "accidents" happening while out in public.
4. No more pads on top of pads and super-duper tampons.
5. No more passing clots the size of a cows liver!
6. No more shooting pain down my legs.
7. No more unpredictibility...why is my period late, why is it early.
8. No more suffering for up to two weeks bleeding.
9. No more worries when going on vacation. Will I get my period when I am
in Hawaii...better pack three packs of pads and a box of tampons...just in
case!

What do I get...freedom to live and live happily!

The only thing I will miss is "using" my period...."Honey, we can't do it tonight, I have my period!"

Here's to this journey we are taking to better our lives!

Hugs,

Sarah
Unread 12-20-2004, 01:12 PM

I am glad I had it. I'm feeling better every day and really looking forward to alot of what you say, no accidents, periods that last a month, etc, etc. etc......... I have a friend that had alot of the same symptoms as I did that had one a year ago and she says it's the best thing she ever did.

Hey Cuddlyrock.....I live in your neighborhood> (Well sorta) I'm from Newaygo, Michigan.

Sue
Unread 12-20-2004, 01:20 PM

I'm happy because

1. NO more periods,

2. NO MORE bleeding for 1 1/2 months,

3. NO more pain,

4. NO more ruptured Cysts,

5. My quality of life is back to normal. Yeahhhhhh

Unread 12-20-2004, 01:26 PM
HAPPY!!!!

Hi Weezy123,
Well, for starters :ditto: everything happyhippie said except for the part about Hawaii. I've not been there.....
I had a total hysto. No I did not try alternatives. I was informed of the huge fybroids and enlarged uterus in April 2004. I did my homework and research. I found this website. I weighed out my pros and cons. I trusted my gyno (which also did my surgery) I told her... Please take-- uterus-cervix tubes and ovaries!!! I am now 49 years old. I was put into surgical menopause. I woke up in recovery with my vivelle dot .1mg patch on. After going thru the healing - a few hormone related headaches- big return to work..
etc. I am now a new- young revibed person. I am no longer out of commision or should I say out of whack for 3 weeks out of the month. I have been thru quite a few surgeries. So, this was not my first rodeo. I am hoping and praying that I won't have to have any more surgeries. From now until death do I part. I have been fortunate.. No sweats.. day or night. I have only cried a few times. When that happened... I got on this site. My fears put to rest... and now here I am... Quite happy... I have had my depression meds changed from lexapro to effexor... just last week. Just to see if I need an adjustment since the hysto. So, far. all is good. Sex and the whole 9 yards. I am blessed I guess. Peace to you and Happy Holidays. Take Care. Sunshine 48

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register