Why are you happy with your hysterectomy? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why are you happy with your hysterectomy? Why are you happy with your hysterectomy?

Unread 12-20-2004, 01:27 PM
Why are you happy with your hysterectomy?

Excuse me...ditto ((( happy ))) Hippie honey!!! sorry Hippie honey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2004, 01:39 PM

No more taking the birth control pill every day for the past 30 years, and if I missed one, spending the day in total fear that I'll have a break through by that night, that will last the rest of the month.

No more super-duper, extra maxi, extra long pads (I gave up tampons years ago, as I had to change them every 30 minutes anyways, and always wore a pad too).

No more peeing sideways and hitting my leg, causing me to have to major clean up before continuing my day.

No more seven day periods that knocked me on the couch on days one, two, three and four.

No more clots and gushes....ugh, I still shudder to remember those.

No more arguing with doctors about how a woman over 40 shouldn't be on the strongest dose of pills, trying to take my dosage down, only to have me bleed for a whole month.

No more worrying about the fibriod that I had that doctors kept telling me not to worry about (that when finally checked six years later, and was now THREE fibriods!!).

And, although I didn't know until after surgery, no uterus poking it's ugly head out my vagine (which was only an inch or so from doing so when it was removed!!)

Yep - I just had my fourth "period" . . . two zits. I giggled the whole week!! A little bit of greasy skin, but I can DEFINITELY live with that! I still have my ovaries, so I'm not sure how I would have felt if they had been taken too.

And although I know that some women here have not had children, or were not done, no more children for me! I raised one child completely on my own, and truly did not want to ever do that again. Every time I was in a relationship, I had to worry about whether or not the pill/condom/whatever was really working, or was I going to be going down that path AGAIN!
Unread 12-20-2004, 01:50 PM

Could everybody imagine what life would be for us if there were no such thing as hysterectomy??? I'd probably be sitting in a chair in my living room with the shades down and 100 packages a month of pads for the rest of my life!! Kidding aside, it was the best thing I've ever done for myself in my situation.

I had heavy bleeding for weeks at a time. A week off and then......AGAIN for another few weeks!! Ughhh. Trying to get up from my chair in the office without a gush, was literally impossible. Leaving the job in the middle of the day because I had run out of personals was becoming the "norm". Not being able to make plans with friends because I never knew when "it" was coming. The fibroids were growing out of control and causing extreme pain. When I went for my hysteroscopy.... there was no pink of the uterus to see!! The doctor told me I had the abdomen of a 4-5 month pregnancy with all these fibroids! I got so anemic, and almost needed a transfusion (even while taking iron every day). The doctor said "I'm giving you one option...surgery".

Now....into my 4th week of recovery, I'm looking for something I haven't been able to enjoy for a long long time. Freedom to live a more happy, healthy life!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2004, 02:01 PM

Well, I can't top anything said previously. However, my doctor told me that she felt very fortunate to be able to reach all the parts she needed to reach with an incision below my navel. If I had waited longer, there was a potential to have a scar that went even higher. In addition, one fibroid was beginning to twist under its own weight, and she said I would have eventually been in a lot of pain. (Apparently everyone in the operating room was amazed that I wasn't in pain yet, just due to the amount of stuff in there.) Anyway, I'm very thankful that it's done and I don't need to worry about it. I did get to keep one ovary, so I feel that the impact for me was pretty small.

I know everyone is different, but for me it was like getting a problematic appendix removed. The upside (lack of periods) was like the best birthday present ever.

In a related note, my mother told me she mourned when my dad was snipped (many years ago), which I also didn't relate with, so maybe I'm just weird.

Catalina
Unread 12-20-2004, 02:14 PM

I love the new me, love that I had this surgery.
First and formost because I'm not bleeding to death anymore
For the first time in many many years I'm pelvic pain free
Because I now can have normal twice daily Bowel movements.
Because now I can sleep through the nights
No more pills to control pain
No more emergancy runs to teh bath room only to dribble again, my bladder is now functioning as it should.
Because I finally have the energy I knew I had many full moons ago
I can excersize now without pain.
I can enjoy sex again, something i haven't been able to do for over 5 years. WE tried the other night for the first time in 11 weeks, it was fabulous no pain, and great.
Im not spending my life in bed with a towel bleeding out and being so anemic that getting to the bathroom was a chore.
I no longer get the killer pains inside me when I'd toss and turn in my bed.
I'm not so *****y anymore, because life is good, I have more patient and enjoy my life more
And for so many many many many more reasons. I did not have cancer, I didn't have fibroids, or cysts. One very enlarged hard uteurs, caused all my problems.
I am doing everything and anything I want now, there is no limit to what I can and can't do. I'm walking, bike riding, even jumping on the trampoline with the kids. Im trying out rollerbladding, and jogging again. I'm just so thrilled and blessed to have had HUGE sucess with my surgery, no problems at all,
wish more people felt as good as I do.
Unread 12-20-2004, 02:42 PM

I am happy because after 356 days of bleeding with out a break, having to wear 2 super duty pads at a time, only wearing balck pants and having to ask my boss if I could have a new chair as the seat on mine was stained with blood, it is over! I hated that feeling like I was lierally going to bleed to death, many times my husband would be trying to help me figure out if I should go to emergency as surly a person can't bleed like that and NOT die!

Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!

just Susan

Unread 12-20-2004, 02:51 PM
hopeful

I am only 10 days post op and feel totally hopeful after reading these posts of all the positive that will come from this sugery. I am still weak but getting better every day. not as much pain and have post op visit with my doctor this thursday. Happy to make it through the holidays with the help of my hubby and my daughter. I have tried to live with this for a long time and feel free of being a prisoner to my period. Thank you all for sharing your hope. Debbie
Unread 12-20-2004, 02:56 PM

I was 4 weeks on 22 Nov. I guess there is only one reason for me to be 'happy' with having had a hyster, and that is that it now means that I am free of deadly cancer that was discoverd only days before my op but had been hiding away slowly reeking havoc in my body for 3 years approx.

My hyster was an emergency, and I did not have any alternatives or time to research what it truly involved, this has come post op for me and mostly through the hystersisters (god love em).

At 35 I can never say that this has been a good thing for me, I had not fully decided whether I would have more children or not, so this although not a huge burden for me it is an issue.....my cancer and subsequent hyster has been the most traumatic event in my life to date.

However having said that there are benefits and positives that I choose to focus on, that mean my quality of life has already improved (even whilst being an invalid lol).... these things will make me feel so much better once my recovery is further along..

No more cancer = I get to watch my kids mature.
3 years of horrendous periods and pain no longer
I dont wet my pants anymore due to the pressure of the tumour on my bladder.
I am already saving $$$$$$ on contraceptives and sanitary products.
I can wear white pants again first time in years without fear
I am no longer anemic and will eventually have more energy than ever before (my collegues and friends are very very scared of this + lol)
Like others have said, my life already no longer revolves around my cycle - not that there was any regularity to it so how could it be a cycle I ask??? or what is going on in my nickers.....
I will be able to have sex with my gorgeous new man EVERY single day if I want!!!!!!!!

Mostly though, my health and my life are the only reason I am grateful for the surgery. The other things are nice little bonuses that I choose to enjoy, rather than focussing on all the pain and trauma that brought me to this place.....

I do believe if given a choice (i.e. not cancer) I may have put off having the surgery in order to allow myself the opportunity to have another baby, and put up with the discomforts in order for that to occur. Silly really as all my problems prevented me getting pregnant in the first place!
Unread 12-20-2004, 02:57 PM

Hi Weezy,
For me, i have a new life, good and bad. I have no more pain at period time, which is the best. I also am having ups and downs, ins and outs, and that to me is life. I know the quality of my life is better, even tho some days I dont see it. I know i can make it through almost anything now, and that I will be ok. I guess the best thing I have gotten from this, is a sense of who I am, and my value as a human being. That I was not insane in thinking that surgery would help me, and that I did not let a doctor bullly me. I can speak up for myself and need to do it more often. I have a greater trust for my doctor now, and have no issues discussing difficult topics with him. All in all, good and bad, I am a better me!!

Hugs
KAt
Unread 12-20-2004, 03:00 PM

I'm about seven weeks out and I'm thrilled with the new me.

--No more periods with clots that would choke a horse.
--No more cramping for days on end.
--No more sacral pain. (I'm told this is not the norm, but I'll take it!)
--No more planning my life around Aunt Flo.
--No more stopping at the bathroom every 30 minutes. (My bladder was also repaired.)
--I can sit through a movie at the theater and not jump up to run to the bathroom.
--No more fear of ovarian cancer or cervical cancer.

Best wishes--

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register