Why are you happy with your hysterectomy? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why are you happy with your hysterectomy? Why are you happy with your hysterectomy?

Unread 12-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Why are you happy with your hysterectomy?

I got out of my shower this morning and realized that this was about the time of the month that I would have had to run from the shower directly to the toilet to put in a tampon and put on an overnite pad just so I would not bleed all over my bathroom floor.
I am definitely happy that I had this done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2004, 04:10 AM

1. No more gushing blood!

2. No more passing clots that made me feel like I had to “push” them out!

3. No more accidents!

4. I can bend, garden, jump on the trampoline with the boys and not have to stop because I can feel my uterus slipping.

5. No more back pain radiating down my hips and legs.

6. Sex anytime we want without worrying about bleeding!

7. Freedom to NOT have to worry and plan events around wondering if I will be bleeding and how much I will be bleeding.

8. No more feeling completely drained (energy wise) after periods.

9. No more sitting on blankets or towels in the car just to get the boys to ball practice (some days pads and tampons
together weren’t enough to cover a half hour trip).

10. I am so thankful to have lived through it all and thankful that my huge tumor was just a fibroid!

11. I was fortunate to see my husband and children shine through the whole process as they truly treated me like a princess, cared for me and gained such an appreciation for what I do for them and our home.

12. I have found an inner strength that needed awakened and I am facing life with an attitude that facilitates vigor, spiritual growth, discovery and adventure!
Unread 12-24-2004, 05:10 AM

Yes, Yes, Yes I am happy with my hysterectomy! Do most women wish they didn't have the complications to warrant one and just glide through until menopause uneventfully? Of course, but for the majority of the members on this sight this was not an option.

The one statement that speaks loudly through out this thread is that mature, intelligent women absolutely thrilled to undergo a painful, major surgery conveys one very clear message, how poor their quality of life was before their surgery. It greatly offends me to think someone would have the audacity to question my "elective" surgery as anything but necessary. It's equivalent to asking a heart patient enduring a bypass "Weren't there other options?". I am one of the multitude of women like you that have a laundry list of reasons, a new lease on life, and I am no longer a prisoner to my cycle. I have so greatly enjoyed reading about women with similar experiences and feelings. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2004, 06:16 AM

I would first like to say Merry Christmas to all of my sister's out there. I hope everyone here in Ohio is staying warm also.

I am so happy with my hysterectomy why?

No more periods
No more looking like I am 4 months pregant 27 days out of the month.

No more cramps that make me get sick or feel like an alien is coming out.

I"ve cn actually fit into a smaller size jeans than before

No more feeling like I have to strap myself to the toilet during my period(sorry guys).

Most of all no more cravings or PMS. My husband loves that.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday!

Jane
7 1/2 months.
Unread 12-24-2004, 11:01 PM

Hi Weezy,

My hyster was 9/4/03 and I'm happy for the following reasons:

No more worrying about sneezing, coughing or laughing making me leak through everything I have on.

No more cramps that double me over.

No more getting dizzy from blood loss.

No more menstrual migraines.

No more carrying a huge purse with me with enough supplies to last me for the day.

No more diarrhea for a couple days at the beginning of my period.

No more checking out to see where every bathroom in a 20 mile radius is.

No more taking vacations, knowing I'm going to be bleeding and miserable for most of the time we're away from home.

I have white underwear!!!

I have light colored pants!!!

I don't have to sneakily check the chair I was sitting in or "smooth my pants" to make sure I haven't leaked all over me and whatever I was sitting on.

No more PMS/mood swings.

s
Cat
Unread 12-25-2004, 08:03 AM
What they already said...

...plus just to add that it has transformed my life on a physical, emotional, and spiritual level.

I now have the courage, self-confidence, and freedom to make my life what I want it to be.

I have experienced friendship and compassion from people around me and particularly on this board that has restored my faith in human nature.

I have learned how to sort out what is worth paying attention to and what needs to be let go by the wayside in my life.

I am a different person than I was before the surgery: calmer, happier, stronger mentally & emotionally, more compassionate, more focused, more joyful, more hopeful, more grateful for each dawning day.

It all has been a gift that was given to me at a dark period in my life. I remain amazed every day by it's effects. I have been given a second life. I intend to make the most of it!
Unread 12-25-2004, 10:41 AM

And I feel exactly the same, I look the same and my body monthly behaves the same, it just isn't the same...

I'm glad the vast majority are happy with their post surgury internal goings on and long may it continue.
Unread 12-25-2004, 04:29 PM

I am grateful for my decision - the heavy bleeding, pain, bladder pressure are behind me. My uterus absolutely RULED my life - my family's life! - for years.
I am certain it was the right decision - tho a sense of "loss" has surprised me some days! Even w/that - I have no regrets - will do everything possible to get myself as healthy as possible - I do worry a little that the future could include problems that are a result of the surgery, but will have to take the future as it comes.
Unread 12-27-2004, 06:07 PM

Hi Weezy 123,

I am 2 weeks postop from a TAH. I can't tell you whether or not I am happy yet. What I do know is that the alternative to a hysterectomy was cancer. I had endometrial hyperplasia with complex atypia. In English, precancer. For me there was no other option. Also, my periods were so painful, that I ended up in the emergency room in shock.
So, I hope that as soon as all of this post-op stuff goes away, I will be able to say "YES! I am happy".

Nanook626
Unread 12-27-2004, 07:27 PM

Hi Weezy,

I was in the same position as Nanook above.... I also had endometrail hyperlasia with complex atypia that my gyn had been monitoring via D&C's for almost 2 years and all was mild until this November when it came back as severe. I did not want to go through a hysterectomy and lose my ovaries and everything, but the prospect of having cancer and ignoring it just because I was scared of surgery was no way to deal with it, so I had the surgery on the 15th od december, and thankfully I am almost 2 weeks post-op now. Most of the posts I have read above spoke of heavy bleeding, bad cramps, etc etc. Fortunately for me, I never had these problems with my cycle - they were always as regular as the moon, and though I had some cramps, I never had very bad periods. Never had a problem until a year and a half ago when abruptly, I stopped having a cycle for about 5 months(I thought I was just starting menopause), then started what I thought was a period that was very heavy and lasted 4 months before I got up the courage to go to the doctor to see what was wrong. My gyn did a laparoscopy to remove polyps and the bleeding stopped but there was this hyperplasia thing going on and a fibroid growing, so we knew all was not well, which eventually resulted in a TAH.

Like Nanook, I can't tell you yet that I am happy about it - the jury is still out on it. I would have preferred keeping my ovaries, especially since my gyn will not give me hormones, due to the cancerous condition I had. I went into the hospital to have the TAH without any symptoms, without any pain - in fact the only discomfort I felt was the fibroid I had pressing on my bladder. I am a little worried about the effect the hysterectomy will have on me physically. I can say that I am happy I prevented the spread of cancer by doing it, and I hope that at some point I can feel healthy and strong again the way I used to.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register