what do adhesions feel like??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what do adhesions feel like??? what do adhesions feel like???

Unread 12-20-2004, 07:00 PM
what do adhesions feel like???

Hi ladies.

I'm back to experiencing pain again at 11 weeks after just less than two weeks of being relatively pain free. I had an abdominal hyster and was back to doing all mommy duties at one-and-a-half weeks, not by choice, I know it was naughty, but those diapers don't change themselves . Anyway, adhesions have been a worry of mine because I was repeatedly lifting my 25-pound toddler, as well as doing the grocery shopping, vaccuming, laundry, carpool, cooking, etc. I'm in pain now, though I'm not as exhausted as I was before the hyster from all the blood loss from horrid periods, but it is still enough pain to take Ultram about once a day, some days no medicine needed, other days I have to take it two or three times.

My question is, what do adhesions feel like? Are they crampy, sharp; intermittent or constant; worse with movement? How would one differentiate between postop healing and adhesion pain? How would I bring this up to my doctor looking for a solution (instead of his instant suspicion of drug seeking)? I have been told that I have adhesions from where my gallbladder was taken out while I was in early pregnancy, and then my tummy grew quickly and caused some adhesions. That is fairly intermittent, but very painful when it happens. It is also affected by movement when I have a particularly bad episode.

Anyone with adhesions, would you mind sharing your experiences? Or anyone with continued pain after hyster (like past the two month mark) that may not be related to adhesions?

Thank you, you wonderful heaven-sent women!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2004, 07:08 PM

I had my hysterectomy in 2002. I had more surgery 6 months ago to remove my right ovary and adhesions. I followed all my post-op instructions after my hysterectomy - adhesions can form even if you do everything you are supposed to.

I was having pain and a "tugging" feeling on my right side. The pain was not a sharp pain, it was a dull, constant pain. The pain got worse if I was active or in certain positions. How adhesions feel for people varies - it can depend on the location of the adhesions and how severe they are.

The only way to positively diagnosis adhesions is by having lapraoscopic surgery.

Here are a few sites and information that better describe adhesions; why they develop, treatment options & possible prevention:

What Causes Adhesions?

How Are Adhesions Treated?

You might also want to check out the HysterSister Resources section on Adhesions

Take care.

s
Unread 12-20-2004, 07:36 PM

Im one week out TVH 12-12-04 kept ovaries but the last two day Ive been having some, not alot of pain only on my lower right side. Do you think its anything I should worry about or just keep and "eye" on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2004, 07:40 PM

I would say keep an eye on it until your two-week appointment. It just isn't abnormal at all to have pain one week out, no matter how the surgery was done. If it starts to worry you, though, call your doctor. Our intuition is usually right on the money, so if something feels wrong, it could be! If nothing else, you will have the peace of mind that comes from letting your doctor know. However, from my experience, that kind of pain is extremely common.
Unread 12-20-2004, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Im one week out TVH 12-12-04 kept ovaries but the last two day Ive been having some, not alot of pain only on my lower right side. Do you think its anything I should worry about or just keep and "eye" on it.
Any new pain should always be reported to your doctor. I'd be on the safe side and let your doctor know about the pain.
Unread 12-20-2004, 08:44 PM
pain

my pain was a constant achy crampy feeling sometimes sharp
I had my suregry june....2004 I was fine for a while but started to hurt

they did a lap on me 2 weeks ago and found endo on my bladder and adhesions

I had all these ultra sounds and cat scans and they coulnt find it but the laporoscopy did

you probably need more healing time for me the more active I was the more it hurt...im hurting now ahhhh!!!!!!
try to rest as much as you can and heat really helps

sorry your in pain I know its no fun I wish you a healthy new year
Unread 12-20-2004, 08:52 PM

I'm having the same type of pain as the "Manwhatever," and I'm glad I was told already that I will probably need laparoscopy. But when you say heat helps, do you use a heating pad? I feel better simply by holding my stomach, but I certainly can't do that all the time!
Unread 12-20-2004, 09:12 PM

yes heat does help.
Something real cool that happened to me was I went to get my toys for tots and on the way out they gave me a cute santa claus and said maybe you might like to hold him instead of a pillow.That was so nice and would you believe santa is acually just the right size for my stomach.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register