Coughing fits! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Coughing fits! Coughing fits!

Unread 12-21-2004, 12:14 AM
Coughing fits!

Hi
Does anyone else suffer with coughing bouts? I have had a few, I am only 4 days post-op and I am petrified I have damaged something by coughing already but it's impossible to stop the urge to cough

*OUCH* and it hurts :cry:

~Karen-Jane~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2004, 02:43 AM
Coughing fits!

When you feel a cough coming on, grab a pillow and hold it to your tummy firmly and bend slightly over it . it will help to cusion the abused tummy and give you something to hang onto.
Also do deep breathing exercises, your lungs are still suffering the effects of the G.A. So take a deep breath and blow out sharply do this a coulple of times every half hour.
This should help with the cough too.
Being Asthmatic I have had to do this after every surgery to stop me getting Pneumonia.

s
Unread 12-21-2004, 04:57 AM
Coughing fits!

coughing is normal. It is the bodys way of geting all of the "junk" out of our lungs from surgery.

I had more coughing spells at 4 and 10 days post op than while in the hospital.

What I did to make the coughing less violent is to cough on perpouse. I know that sounds crazy. But a controled small cough felt better to me than a violent out of control cough. I was also able to remove any flem that was built up in my lungs.

I hope this helps

Angel314
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2004, 05:12 PM
Coughing fits!

Thanks for the advice ladies!

I must be having a bad day because on top of the coughing I have sneezed twice ~ I hope it's not a cold coming my way!

I still can't sit at my desk for too long so I am off for another rest ~ See you all tomorrow & thanks xx ~ ~

~Karen-Jane~
Unread 12-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Coughing fits!

I went thru a bout of bronchial pneumonia about 5 days post surgery with a TVH. I had gotten sick in Recovery and aspirated some junk back into my lungs. Anyhoo....I didn't blow anything loose with that but I carried around a " cough pillow" all the time. So be careful and use the pillow. If you feel you need to have the Dr look " under the hood" to make sure you're OK...I did
Unread 12-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Coughing fits!

I too had coughing fits 4 days after surgery and I suffered. I felt like my staples were going to burst. I lived for awhile on cough drops and cough medicine. About two days later it finally let up (thank the Lord).
Unread 12-22-2004, 06:27 PM
Coughing fits!

I had coughing fits from about day 4 to day 7. My throat felt scratchy and I put it down to the tube they put down for the anaesthetic. I walked around with a water bottle held close at all times. I even slept cuddling it as I was waking up with coughing fits. LOL

I also had sneezing in the middle of the coughing but have found a way to stop the sneeze - well most times anyway. When you feel a sneeze coming on, push your tongue against the roof of your mouth - it saved me many times from the added pain. My DH tried and it didn't work on him.... then he realised he had a plate of false teeth up there!

Good luck with the coughs and keep that pillow handy
Unread 12-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Coughing fits!

When I woke up, I was coughing and choking. I could not breath. My doctors were right there with me. What caused the coughing was partially the anesthesia, but mainly the position they put me in for the surgery. They put me basically on my head! I was tilted so that my head was down and my bottom was up so the doctor could see and do what he need to do. Being in this position and my doctor moving my organs around, it caused my other organs to move up toward my upper body. Gravity, ya know.

They gave me a breathing apparatis that I was instructed to use about 10 times a day, every day. You put the tube in your mouth and breath IN as deeply (slowly) as you can. This not only helps clear and strenghten you lungs, but it also helped my fear to go away. It really helped me A LOT.
Unread 12-22-2004, 07:16 PM
Coughing fits!

mY anesth said I'd have one of those exercisers, but I never saw it. I wonder if it will show up on my bill.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register