6 Week Post Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 Week Post Op 6 Week Post Op

Unread 12-21-2004, 09:23 AM
6 Week Post Op

My 6 week mark is tomorrow. I have to tell you ladies honestly this has been the most difficult thing I have gone through health-wise. As much as I read on this site, it still couldn't prepare me for how bad I'd feel for weeks. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but my gosh what a difficult journey it has been.

I went back to work at three weeks. The fatigue and back pain were overwhelming. I still have both, but they are starting to diminish slowly. I went for my 6 week checkup. My doc has no explanation for the back pain but said if it persists, to come back. At about 4 weeks, I tripped over a box and came down hard on my foot -- didn't fall, just came down hard. We think that may have caused back strain. If so, it will go away.

I asked the Dr. for a CBC (complete blood count) to check hemoglobin and thyroid. They weren't going to do it automatically, so ladies, if you have concerns about your blood levels, you may have to ask your Dr. for a blood test at your 6 week appointment.

I have read all the posts asking "was it the best thing you ever did"? I just can't answer that now. I am quite obviously still healing, so at the moment the pain and fatigue of healing keepme from seeing the positive effects. I hope/know that I will feel better in the future and be glad I had this done, but right now, it is tough.

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2004, 12:23 PM
6 weeks post op

I will be 6 weeks post op on Thursday and have some similar feelings as you do Cindy. I myself am a Registered Nurse and have realized what it is like to be on the other side of the picture. Mind you I'd rather be the nurse than the patient. I am tired of feeling tired and not having the energy to do the things I want to do. I too am seeing the light, but it isn't coming quick enough for me.

I fortunately have 6 weeks off from work...I do go back 12/24 day shift. What a Christmas present for my co workers. They are so excited to see me back, so they no longer have to cover my shifts. I on the other hand am not too excited to go back as I really don't know how I am going to handle being on my feet for 9 hours with very little time to sit down. I am still very tired and I am not sleeping good.

I too called my doctor yesterday and questioned why I am soooo tired and could it be my thyroid, as I am already on thyroid medication. He would not order any blood work and wants me to work a few shifts and then call him back to let him know how things are going.

Was the surgery the best thing I ever did? I will probably be better able to answer that 6 months from now when I am completely healed and am able to get on with life....without a period, cramps, heaving bleeding etc.

I wish all my fellow princesses a Merry Christmas and A Happy and Healthy New Year!!!
Unread 12-21-2004, 01:20 PM
6 Week Post Op

I was six weeks yesterday, and went back to work part time last Wednesday. Today I'm trying to make it the entire day. I had a TVH and a rectocele repaired, and sitting is still uncomfortable. Otherwise I'm feeling very good! I still find it a little frustrating that I can't do all the yard work I want to this time of year, but I know it will still be there this spring.

Would I do it again? I sure hope I won't have to, but I couldn't handle that stupid rectocele any more. I'm doing everything I can to make sure I won't have a recurrence. (That's Kegels, stool softeners, and NO downward abdominal pressure!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2004, 01:36 PM
6 Week Post Op

Cindy,

I feel so bad that you are having such a hard time. I won't say that I'm pain free but the pain is so much better right now than before the surgery. Can't even imagine going back to work at three weeks...that makes me hurt just thinking about it. I won't be released for work until Jan 3. Thank heavens it's just part time. I've been having problems with the tiredness also. I'm sleeping well at night but by mid-afternoon I'm wiped out. I'm back to all the usual household duties except for vacuuming and mopping floors. Mind you, I'm doing my chores very carefully.

I'm having major problems with depression. Anyone else? Didn't start until this past weekend and I'm already on Wellbrutin XL. Having crying fits over nothing. Could it be that dreaded PMS thing? Figures that the body is healing now my mind is going to go! Hang in there. I hope the blood tests will help you out and you can get back to normal.
Unread 12-21-2004, 02:51 PM
6 Week Post Op

I almost feel guilty...I have been pain free since coming home from the hospital. This friday I will be 6 weeks post-op...I am back at work full time, riding on the motorcycle, running up and down the stairs..I feel WONDERFUL!!! Everyone at work comments on my color and how different I look. I have been taking vitamins and watching what I eat. When I went to see the doctor, he said I have healed most excellent and gave me permission to do everything except lifting. I wish all my sisters could feel as well as I do...all I can say is I hope you all take it VERY easy, take care of yourself and don't over do it. I have to force myself to sit down and relax because I know my body still needs time to heal on the inside....
Unread 12-21-2004, 05:29 PM
6 Week Post Op

Hi, Cindy and all of our other 6 week sisters.

I was just going to start a "how are we all doing?" thread myself when I saw this one. Thank you all so much for keeping us posted and staying in touch.

As for me, I am also significantly better than I was, but I know there is still a lot of healing to do. At my 4 week post-SAH/BSO appointment, my dr did an internal and said that I had some granulation which meant another month of no baths, no sex, and basically just taking it slow to promote internal healing. Sometimes I feel that I want to do a lot more than I am doing these days, but I try to remember that you only have one chance to heal properly, and usually (not always) that helps me tow the line. With respect to work, I guess I am lucky because I teach college classes, and our new term doesn't start until the second week in January by which time my dr will almost certainly release me to go back.

Physically, I continue to have some swelling (uggh), I have sharp bursts of pain from time to time which may be due to the regeneration of nerves that were cut during surgery, and I have had an unpleasant discharge that seems to be lessening (finally), but the biggest problem for me are still the hot flashes and night sweats. I know many of you did not have your ovaries removed, but in my case there was no other choice, so sudden surgical menopause was a very unwelcome consequence.

Emotionally, I have my ups and downs with no apparent rhyme or reason. Sometimes I am able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and feel positive; other times I still can't figure out how I wound up here and don't know if or when I will ever feel like the old me again. And then, there are even times when I feel as if I have been through a life change which is helping me put things in their proper perspective -- separating what is really important in life from the rest of the noise -- if that makes any sense. It's amazing how complex and complicated all of this is.

Would I do it again? It's probably too soon to tell, although in my case, given the mess that was going on inside of me, I believe it was medically necessary. I guess the bottom line is that we are all on this road now, and there is no turning back. I am just so, so glad that we are on it together.

Let's keep checking back in and, as Cindy said, hopefully, we will all have better and better news to report in the weeks ahead.

With love and best wishes to all of you for a happy holiday and a healthy 2005

s,
Carrie

P.S. Just curious, of those of you who did go into menopause, how many of you are on HRT and how is it working out? Due to my stage IV endo, there isn't (and in all likelihood won't be) any HRT for me, but I am really interested in hearing how you are all doing with your symptoms. Thanks.
Unread 12-21-2004, 06:28 PM
6 Week Post Op

Hello Everyone!

I am 6 weeks post op today. I had my 6 week post-op yesterday and dr said that I was healing wonderfully. He was a little afraid that I would have trouble healing because of a softball sized endometrioma that had grown in my c-section scar. It caused an indintion in my tummy after surgery which has now healed. He said I was healed inside and out. I can resume all activities. He put me on Climara patch.

My recovery has been okay with small bumps along the way but all in all I think that I have been real lucky. I have a cousin whom has surgery 2 days after I did and also had tumors. She had a tumor on one of her ovaries that was cancer. She is now taking chemo. Cancer runs in her family -- all her aunts, her grandmother, great-grandmother& mother all have died from cancer. Her sister completed her last treatment for breast cancer.

I stayed an extra day in the castle for bowel problems. I came home with pain meds and took them for two or three days and then took tylenol. At 2 weeks pst op I had a bad case of bronchitis and was put on anitibotics and it cleared up. I have asthma so I get bronchitis easily. I had pain but it was not bad. Between week 4-5 I started to get the shakes, naseau, vomitting, very thirsty and dizziness. My mother is a diabetic so they think that it might be that. I had a sugar test this morning I will know more tomorrow. I have had a cough for sevral days and was prescribed a new inhaler yesterday but it did not help. Today he put me on the nebulizer and added cough medicine. My asthma is messed up.

I had hot flashes, night sweats and yes insomnia like so many others. Insomnia is the worst.

Like I say I have had a few bumps but I made it throught surgery and did not have cancer.

Thanks to this website my recovery has been great.!

Christi
Unread 12-21-2004, 07:22 PM
6 Week Post Op

Just a quick question. I will have a follow-up with my dr in two weeks when I am 8 weeks post-op. For those of you who have gone to your 6 week appt and who have gotten the "all clear", when do you go back to your drs again? Is it once a year after that for a pap unless there are problems, or did your drs say they want to continue to monitor you for a while?

Thanks again,
Carrie
Unread 12-21-2004, 09:50 PM
6 Week Post Op

I had a post op check up at 2 weeks from gyn who did not do a pelvic. She gave me instructions for the next 4 weeks and said if everything was ok with me I was cleared for sex at 6 weeks.

Sheila
Unread 12-21-2004, 10:06 PM
6 Week Post Op

I go back on Jan 20th for a check on my hormones. Then I will still go once a year.

Christi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register