Near death rare occurance | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Near death rare occurance Near death rare occurance

Unread 12-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Near death rare occurance

I just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience. I had a TAH on Dec 8th. Everything went well. The staff at the hospital neglected to care for me so I begged the doctor to let me go home. I specified that I could get better care there. In the hospital I pushed the call button and it took a nurse 3 hours to get to me. I was home about an hour and felt ill. I threw up! I told my husband that he'd better get me to the ER fast or else he was going to have to call the ambulance. I had so much pressure and thought it was urinary retension. I arrived at the ER. I started going down hill fast and started going into shock. My blood pressure was extremely low. They did a CT scan of my abdomin and found that it was full of blood. They started a blood transfusion and sent me by ambulance to the hospital where I had the first surgery. It was about 20 min away. When I arrived my doctor was waiting with a full surgical team. I went in for emergency surgery and he ended up removing my right ovary (RSO). We decided that he would go back into the same incision since it wasn't healed yet anyhow. I was in the hospital for 4 more days. This was the hardest time of my life. I was on a liquid diet this whole time. A total of 6 days. I was starving. I would cry when the staff would come and serve my roomate meals. My doc explained that if I were to eat before my bowels worked that I could have a blockage and would be worse off in the long run with the possibility of another surgery. Once he explained this to me it was a little easier. I'm home now but feeling like I've been hit by a train. I feel as though someone reached in and ripped my ovary out! Is this normal? I don't know what is normal and what is the result of having 2 surgerys? In the long run I think it was better because I had problems with that ovary anyhow. I'm just so frusturated with the recovery time. I'm also trying to wean off of darvocet. I was on 2 pills every 4 hours. One pill doesn't touch the pain. However, I've managed to wean myself down to 1 pill every 4 hours. How long is one supposed to be on pain killers? I suffer because I am running out. I really don't think the doc will give me anymore. I see him Thursday and I will discuss it with him. I don't know if I'm just being a whimp or if I should still need them. I would like to hear from anyone that has some words of comfort or from anyone who has experienced anything similar to this. One thing I've learned is to appreciate life because I really didn't think I was going to survive. When I was in the ER I was preparing to die. When I woke up out of surgery I was like "Holy crap I made it!" Thanks for reading my rambling story and hope to hear from some of you.
Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2004, 01:35 PM

Tracy, all I can say is wow... sounds like you have been through (pardon me) hell. I am happy to hear that you made it out of surgery the second time. Have you voiced your complaints about the nursing staff at this hospital? I think that you should, what if you had stayed there and had no one to respond to your pain or other issues.... Worse things could have happened and you would have been under the "watchful" care of the staff. I am in the healthcare field and that kind of care is rediculous.

As for your pain, I would say that being a little more sore than say me ( I had a TAH/BSO 12/02/04) is probably very accurate. You just had two abdominal surgeries in a couple days time. I would not be moving either. I would discuss the pain issue with your doc and let him know that you still need something for pain and see what he says. Maybe he can get you something that is a little less addicting, but still something that you can take when you need it. Make sure that he is helping you to be comfortable so you can heal faster. He works FOR you, remember that.

I hope that this helps you some....

happy holidays,
hugs,
Jenna
Unread 12-21-2004, 01:51 PM

I'm glad to hear that you made it. Please be a little easier on yourself regarding pain releivers... as the previous sister said, you have been through hell. The pain releivers will help you take it easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2004, 03:10 PM

Hi Tracy,

Please know that your doctor will refill the script for you. I'm 21 days post and still on darvocet and motrin. Your right, darvocet is one of the mildest drugs. You probably needed something stronger. Two make me sick so I just do one. I would expect that your above the norm and will need more of everything, including rest and patience. I'm also impatient and hurting but nothing compared to you.

What a horrible ordeal for you. I'm so glad that you were able to act swiftly and that you knew you were in trouble. You saved your own life.
You only have one opportunity to heal. Go to the sofa, the recliner, whatever...rest and walk around the house, and rest some more. The most i do is work a puzzle standing up and i stand to type also. Please be patient and let your body heal up.

I'm so sorry. Please let us know how you're doing.
Maralyn
Unread 12-21-2004, 04:34 PM

Oh, Tracy!! I can't believe what you had to go through! So glad that you are OK. Please take it easy during your recovery and keep us informed on how you're doing.

Sara
Unread 12-21-2004, 05:19 PM

Tracy - WOW! followed by WHEW! That was much too close of a call, and I agree with my sisters, your quick thinking saved your life. I also agree that you should ask your Doc for more pain meds, you are still very early on in your recovery and had alot more done. No, sister - you're NOT a wimp! Most of us all felt like we had been hit by a train with one surgery.
I can certainly relate about starvation in hospitals! I was in a holding pattern for surgery last August and was NPO for about 3 days, after not having eaten at home for the previous 4 days (long story)...I was begging for food the whole time & starting to get a little nasty about it too. Don't you wonder how many people have actually starved to death in those places? I bet it happens...
Of course, my own 'cooking' could kill me.
Here's wishing you a very smooth and uneventful recovery from now on.
S
joano
Unread 12-21-2004, 06:15 PM

Tracy,

All I could think as I read your post was praise God that you thought quick enough to get the help you needed.

As for the pain and the medication~ You have had 2 major oporations back to back. Your body has been given a Big 1-2 punch.If your body is fighting the pain then it is unable to heal effectively, there for you need some sort of pain meds so you can relax.

Talk with your doc to see what medication can be given to you that would be strong enough but not make you feel like you are being over taken by them.

I would also talk with your doctor about the care you recieved at the hospital, after all it was because of the care or the lack of care you wanted to go home early. The hospital will not tell the doctor about the care they gave you or did not give you. Be your own advicate no one else will (Sad to say).

Most of all be kind to yourself you have been through more than most people could begin to imagine(myself included).

Angel314
Unread 12-21-2004, 07:03 PM

Tracy,
I'm so sorry you have had to go through all of this. I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly. You have been hit w/alot. Don't feel guilty about the pain meds....one of the things they do is make you drowsy so you can get the proper rest.....you are really going to need it. Call your doc for more pain meds if you need it....most docs will give it to you, especially since you've been through 2 surgeries.

take care and here's another
Unread 12-21-2004, 07:12 PM

Tracy,

Oh my gosh!! How awful for you! You have been through h*ck and back and need to just take extra special care. We are all here for you. Don't worry about the meds. You want to keep ahead of your pain - it will help your recovery in the long run.

Shelly
Unread 12-21-2004, 08:25 PM

Oh my gosh, yes, please, the more of a handle you have over your pain, the better. I am so glad you were quick enough to go to the ER, please continue to get better....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register