please advise, Dr or not | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

please advise, Dr or not please advise, Dr or not

Unread 12-22-2004, 11:45 AM
please advise, Dr or not

I am about 11 wks post op. For the last week or so I've been having an achey feeling and pain on my right side. It gets a lot worse towards the end of the day. Yesterday, after some heavy duty grocery shopping, I had to lay on the couch, the pain was so bad. I couldn't move for about 15 min.
I have a fair amount of discharge, enough to have to wear a panti liner.
Today I overslept (Which is really unusual for me) I woke up feeling really weird. Maybe its the flu but I'm worried it could have something to do with the surgery.
I need advice please!!! Should I ride it out, go see my gp, or call my gyn?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2004, 11:57 AM
please advise, Dr or not

Hi,

You are still very early in recovery. You said it yourself, you did heavy duty shopping. Even if we are in good physical shape before surgery, it doesn't mean we heal faster. You still have all the internal stitches and healing to do.
My advice, call your GYN, the office should always know of any changes. Put your feet up, if you can take motrin for swelling do so, and wait for the call back.
Seems discharge of red/pink is the outcome of over doing it. But it can also be other things. Flu should not cause the discharge.
Pace yourself in the future and remember up to 6 months and perhaps a year for total recovery. This is scarey and a call to your doctor should help.
Best wishes,
Maralyn
Unread 12-22-2004, 04:14 PM
please advise, Dr or not

Yes, anything new needs to be reported to your GYN... they need to know, he might want to see you which would not be a bad idea. Hopefully it was just your body telling you that you were doing too much, but you should get it checked out. Let us know what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2004, 04:28 PM
get checked out

At about 4 or 5 months post op I had a vaginal bacterial infection and a yeast infection.

If you are thinking you should get checked out, then you should. At least if they don't find anything you will know to take it easy.

Besides, it will be easier to get in there now, and a lot harder if it gets worse toward the end of the week when it is in the holidays.

Here's hoping you are feeling much better by Christmas!

Unread 12-22-2004, 05:05 PM
please advise, Dr or not

Thanks, I called my GP and have an appointment for tomorrow. I will take your advice and call my Gyn as well. I'm always embarrased to make a big deal out of nothing. Thanks for the input!!!
Unread 12-22-2004, 05:50 PM
please advise, Dr or not

samson,
we have the asme surgery date. I just had the same thing happen to me. I felt really great and did to much and yesterday I had such a bad pain and headace I had to call the gyn.
She put me on anti bodies, said it could be adhesion, IBS or a bladder infection but didn't check that.
I was in so much pain then when I was looking at the calendar I noticed it was the day I should have started my period. I think that plus the over doing it made the pain so unbearable. todays a little better. I see another doc tomorrow too.
but you need to check with your doc.
Unread 12-22-2004, 11:56 PM
please advise, Dr or not

I hate to say it Weezy but I'm so glad you feel that way. NOT REALLY I just am glad I'm not the only one feeling yucky. Ya know misery loves company. Keep me posted on what the doc says tomorrow. I too thought maybe bladder infection because it really hurts when I pee, but it doesn't feel like the usual kind of pain that a bladder infection brings.
Sandy
Unread 12-23-2004, 03:20 PM
please advise, Dr or not

well, samson,
I have an ultra sound next week to check to see if any of the pain is from any organs not in the right place or other problems. I was also put on climara patch to regulate my hormones, she said that the shock of surgery pushed my overies into menopause earlier and sooner (I'm 46 as of tuesday) then I would have normally gone through it. All the whacked out rollercoaster feelings are from a hormone inbalance. once we get the hormone working right then I'll start testosterone for libido.

I also have a yeast infection that my old GYN told me twice I didn't have and that is causing the pain when I pee because I have a really bad infection now. She did blood work and an urine test and culture to check for bladder infection. I see her in two week to see how the patch is doing and get the test results for the ulta sound.

I'm glad I changed doctors this one is willing to work with me. The staff is much nicer too..
I'm a happy camper just knowing the NP is willing to work with me and not tell me it's all in my head.

Merry Christmas!
Unread 12-23-2004, 03:23 PM
please advise, Dr or not

PS
A friend told me to bring a book for doctor visited and they will treat you with more respect. I brought a book on hormones we shared information. It works!
Unread 12-23-2004, 04:41 PM
please advise, Dr or not

Hi Weezy, I did some calendar research before the doctor visit. I guess we're 9wks post op , not 11. It sure seems like a long haul!! The doctor said my white cells are up which means I have an infection. They are not sure where. The discharge is abnormal as well. They put me on two kinds of antibiotics and warned me to stay away from any alcohol including trifle and booze filled chocolates.
I have to go back after Christmas.

Thanks to all you ladies, it's so wonderful to have you all to talk with.
Hope you all have a great Christmas!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register