Picc Line is in!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Picc Line is in!!! Picc Line is in!!!

Unread 12-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Picc Line is in!!!

I had my PICC line put in on Monday prior to my second cycle of chemo. It wasn't without drama I must add. My son came to visit me just as the nurse was starting the procedure and he insisted in watching up close. Perhaps not a good idea as when he caught sight of the big needle and line being threaded in, he greyed out and was told to sit with his head in his knees. The nurse said she didn't fancy seeing a strapping 6ft fella landing on his poor little 5ft3 mum and knocking her out! Awwwwww he really thought he wasn't squeamish.

Feeling ok after the chemo, but if i'm like last time the next few days are going to be rough with the side effects. Oh well just need to make the best of things and hope I can enjoy Christmas with my family.

Love and s to you all,
Kayla
xxxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Picc Line is in!!!

Kayla

So sorry to hear about your son getting squemish. I think it's great that at least he tried to be there to support his mom.

I'll be hoping that this chemo has minimal side effects and that you tolerate it well. Enjoy the holidays with your family!

Keep us posted on your progress.
Unread 12-22-2004, 10:47 PM
Picc Line is in!!!

Kayla,
I loved the story about your son. Poor dear! So many men are squeamish. Who knows why? It is really men who are the weaker sex!

I have a question, what is a PICC line?

I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well. You will be fine for Christmas, just make sure you have your Zofran, or some anti-naseau drug, just in case. You might not feel like having as many Bourbon Balls as usual, but other than that, you should be able to enjoy Christmas just as you always have. I always take a nap on Christmas afternoon because I am exhausted by the time Christmas gets here. You may want to start a similiar tradition for yourself!

Have a wonderful holiday and hug that big boy for us!

Best,
Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2004, 04:28 AM
Picc Line is in!!!

Hi Lori and Janie,

I'm feeling a whole lot better today, hopefully this is a taste of what's to come and the side effects are becoming more tolerable. I do feel a bit giddy and light headed from the steroids given but that will hopefully go away soon also. I feel hungry all the time too so eating like a horse, did you feel like that Janie?

The PICC is a central line put in the arm through a canula and then a fine line is thread into it which leads to the heart. This sounds horrific but doesn't hurt at all. It now means no more needles for chemo, fluids and bloods being taken, it all happens through the PICC (which means peripheraly inserted central catheter). I can keep it in place until the end of treatment. My veins are so small and thin that is was advised as chemo would have become harder and harder over time. It is a little awkward but i'm getting used to it now.

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and Very very Happy New Year!

Kayla
xxxxx
Unread 12-23-2004, 06:00 AM
Picc Line is in!!!

Hi Kayla

The steriods made my appetite HUGE. I gained almost 18 pounds during my chemo time. I should have been more careful, but oh well.......so, it is perfectly normal to have an increased appetite.
Unread 12-23-2004, 06:47 AM
Picc Line is in!!!

me too. I ate like a horse during treatment, and blamed it on the steroids....but what's my excuse now that treatment is oveR? I've gained back ALL of the weight I lost after surgery, then a few extra pounds. Betcha can guess what MY new year's resolution is!

Glad to hear all is well with you, Kayla. Just remember, the chemo has a job to do and it's worth feeling icky for a few days after treatment
Hoping you can enjoy your Christmas! (remember to take Milk of Magnesia or the like for constipation..that is NO fun!)
K9
Unread 12-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Picc Line is in!!!

My gyn/onc said I might lose up to 10 pounds during treatment. But I gained 5 pounds! Steriods made me hungry and happy the first day or so after chemo. I felt better on chemo day than any other day that week.

In addition to the steriods I got Zofran in my IV. It was wonderful at preventing naseau but it gave me horrible, painful, constipation. I called the chemo nurses and they told me what to take. After that, it was all fine. Zofran is very constipating! Having never had that before, I had NO idea how uncomfortable it would be! Of course once the radiation kicked in, constipation was not the problem and I Zofran became my new, best friend!

Glad you are doing so well. Cisplatin really wasn't that bad. Not fun, but quite doable.

Have a wonderful Christmas!
Janie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register