c section vs Hysterectomy - the difference | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

c section vs Hysterectomy - the difference c section vs Hysterectomy - the difference

Unread 12-22-2004, 04:53 PM
c section vs Hysterectomy - the difference

Seeing lots of posts where others are asking you whats the big deal it cant be worse than a c section, well the next time you get this comment from one of those all knowing women (who hasn't been through it) just tell them

A c section is like chopping down a tree
A hysterectomy is like digging the tree up from it's roots !!!

there is a difference for crying out loud !!!!!!!!!!!!!! this subject burns me up

ok now that I've said that hope you all are healing well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2004, 04:56 PM

me too....that comments ticks me off too. c-section is just cutting it open and sewing it back up, nothing is taken out and stitched up and retracted out of the way and rearranged etc. ...well except the baby. but you get my point
Unread 12-22-2004, 04:58 PM

Yup and some of us had that removed too - double whammy!

OK I guess that is more common as some women do have emergency hysts at time of giving birth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2004, 05:05 PM

I've had 2 c-sections and 1 hysterectomy. I think the hysterectomy is more difficult to heal from in the long run, but then I've had complications from the hyst that I didn't have with the c-sections (seroma). Yet, I was in the hospital for 5 and 4 days for the 2 c-sections and only 2 days for the hyst (I felt great when I left).

So, it's kind of a mixed bag... for me... but my vote would be that the hyst is more difficult on my body.
Unread 12-22-2004, 05:30 PM

A c-section vs hysterectomy is like comparing bacon and eggs. The chicken gave a contribution, but the pig gave its all.

my ex's girl freind gave birth natural and she get to stay in the hospital 2 days. I have a hyster and the stay is the same??? One is natural and the other is major surgary. Like a heart transplant with out the transplant.

My c-section were 5 -3 days and no complations like I had with the hyster.
Unread 12-22-2004, 05:43 PM

A friend and co-worker of mine had a c-section in the same hospital and one day after I had my hyst. When I was able to get out of bed, I took my first walk (with the nurse) to see her and the baby. She was feeling great, had already had a hamburger and fries (since she can't stand hospital food), and stayed in the hospital one day longer than I did! (Not that I wanted to stay in the hospital, but she had a nice private room and lots of pampering from the nurses, so I don't blame her.) She couldn't understand why I was in so much pain and so weak, other than "it might be an age thing"! The nurse that was with me told her "you really can't compare a c-section to a hysterectomy"--so it was nice to have a professional opinion expressed! It seems lots of people think these two procedures about the same. Just ignorance, I'm sure--no maliciousness intended. But maybe it's the insurance companies that promote that opinion/mindset with their maximum stay limits. And to be PC in this "family friendly" day and age, it seems new moms with c-sections get more time in the hospital, more time off work (my friend gets 8 weeks to my 6) and more perks than hyster sisters. Go figure!
Unread 12-22-2004, 05:45 PM

well I had asked alot of people it it was worse thn a c and alot of them said they did not think so I had a c-sec and I wanted to know this myself. Well i went in thinking this was going to be like my c sec boy was i wrong!!!! but when I had my c-sec it was 21 years ago and also a emg I also stayed 7 days for that and 5 for the tah but back then ins was alot diffent. So now I can tell people there is a big diffence between the two.
Patty
Unread 12-22-2004, 05:54 PM

I don't think it's so simple. Every person is different and every surgical experience is different.

I've had two c-sections. The first was much, much worse than my TVH, the second was much easier (for various reasons).

Of course I can't compare a c-section with a TAH.

I think when people ask it's simply because a c-section is the surgery that they have experienced, so they use it as a frame of reference. No harm in that, just as there wouldn't be if someone said "I've had gallbladder (or appendix or whatever) surgery, how does a hysterectomy compare to that?"
Unread 12-22-2004, 06:59 PM

I agree with Scampi too, I had 2 c-sections, 1 Appendectomy with a Hemmorhagich Ovarian Cyst removed at the same time that had 18 staples plus a drainage hole and a Hysterectomy. So a total of 4 stomach surgeries.That was the WORST (appendectomy with cyst removal) surgery I ever had in my life. My c-sections and Hysterectomy are a piece of cake compared to that surgery lol.

I started off with have a LAVH but ended up having a Mini Abdominal Hysterectomy due to heavy bleeding and adhesions. That mini abdominal incision only had 9 staples and now has 4 steri strips on it.

I think that it does depend on the surgery, how people heal and what there experiences are with surgeries. They always told me that abdominal surgeries are the worst ones to have. This experience for me was just the opposite
Unread 12-22-2004, 07:02 PM

A c section is like chopping down a tree
A hysterectomy is like digging the tree up from it's roots !!!

That is such a GREAT analogy! Priceless! I loved that!

Great job! That says soooo much in such a little sentence!

Thanks for that! I had a great giggle!

Sarah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register