Catheter Removal Experience | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter Removal Experience Catheter Removal Experience

Unread 12-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Catheter Removal Experience

I have never had a catheter and was terrified. When it was removed, I braced for terrible pain. Instead it just felt a little strange. To me it felt like when you remove a tampon that is dry... not very much fluid on it at all. It just felt like dry cotton being pulled out. No pain.

I just wanted to share this with the girls who feel the way I felt. This is something that I made worse in my mind due to worry and inexperience. Trust me, this is one thing you don't have to worry about.

It doesn't hurt when it is put inside you. It doesn't hurt while you are recovering. It just feels a little strange coming out. That's it. So find something else to stress about... and like me, you have a list. :-D Put this worry out of you mind and relax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2004, 06:46 PM

Yep, I totally agree. It is more of a nuisance when you have it in. Taped to the leg it gets in the way when you toss and turn in bed. But, upon removal, it just felt weird... , no real pain involved. I had gentle nurses so that, I am sure, helped too! I don't know what it feels like to have it inserted because it was done while I was "sleeping".

No worries....it's a piece of cake.

Happy healing...

Sarah
Unread 12-22-2004, 07:12 PM

I had to come home with one. Was a nuisance as mentioned when I tried to move around. And of course my kids were always saying " Don't you think that thing (bag) needs emptied" They told me this everytime they walked by. I will have to say though I never knew how free it would feel to stand up and pee... Four days later I got to remove it at home, or should I say DH got to help.. Not an experience he cares to repeat. But I have to say it was not bad at all.
Elizabeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2004, 07:14 PM

I was afraid of them taking it out, I kind of clenched....it did feel like a tampon coming out. I wished I knew that BEFORE!!!

I ended up with a UTI, but then, I just have to say the word "bladder" and it happens.

I've been on meds for 24 hours and doing fine...
Unread 12-22-2004, 07:17 PM

yep I agree no biggie putting in or taking out
Unread 12-22-2004, 07:21 PM

The nurse came in to take mine out, she got her syringe ready and I am not sure what happened, but I must have whined or cried out or something, but she looked at me and laughed. She told me she hadn't even started, but she could make up for that!! It did not hurt, whatever happened before hurt worse, and I dont even remember what it was!!

Hugs
Kat
Unread 12-22-2004, 07:35 PM

thank you for the description. I'm less than seven days from my castle visit and I confess thats one of many things I've been worrying/nervous about. Now I'm not concerned at all. One less worry!
Unread 12-22-2004, 09:01 PM

They did not start my cath until after I was put under and totally asleep. I don't remember it at all. Coming out was no problem. I had such a gentle nurse BLESS HER HEART!!!!
Unread 12-22-2004, 09:29 PM

I'm so glad you posted this Kindred. I have an aunt who has had many issues with her bladder and before my surgery, she said, "Oh, the CATHETER!!! It's AWFUL!!!" I told her, the ladies on the hystersisters site say the catheter is great because they don't have to get up and pee! But her reaction stuck with me. Well guess what? She was wrong! Way wrong! That catheter was no big deal at all! AND.... I got to have THREE more catheters because my bladder was delayed in coming back to life and those were all inserted while I was wide awake, by three different nurses. It never hurt. - being put in OR removed. Do NOT fear the catheter!!

Lisa
Unread 12-22-2004, 10:26 PM
catheter worries

I agree with you guys. They put mine in when I was asleep coming out was no big deal. I am 3 weeks postop and found out today I have a urinary tract infection:cry: But that will go away .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register