Catheter Removal Experience - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter Removal Experience Catheter Removal Experience

Unread 12-23-2004, 04:15 AM
Catheter Removal Experience

I thought I would post because my experience was different.

The catheter was put in whilst I was under g/a, so no problem there...but once I woke up...eek...

I was ready to rip the thing out by my teeth.......the whole time it was in I just had this horrible, full bladder, need to pee feeling...it got to be rather painful. This was because i had 'high urine output' and it didnt drain quick enough so was wooshing back to where it came from.... RELIEF only came when the nurse came in and held the bag up and it finally drained...yukky I'll say.

having it taken out, whilst I dont think its the worst part of my recovery was the WEIRDEST most icky sensation I have felt in my life....not painful, just horrid. and that first pee.....oh my goodness what bliss!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2004, 06:04 AM

after the 6th time w/the catheter (long story)....I remember that removing the tape from my legs was more painful than removing the catheter. They gave us a different roll of adhesive during one trip to the ER and it must have been super-sticky. The last time, I had the doc cut the tube and let me try and remove the tape. The anticipation of the removal/insertion was worse than the pain.... but, ouch! that tape! I ended up using alcohol to remove the tape residue from my skin...it took forever. I thought I was just going to have some really "cool" tattoos from the tape.
Unread 12-23-2004, 02:45 PM

I am two weeks post op. Had TVH with rectal and bladder repairs.
I came home with cath and I hated it!! It felt like I had to pee ALL the time!! Got it out after one week home and the doc said that I was retaining urine and would have to have it put back in. I got tears in my eyes and said I would do anything to not have it. I had to wake myself every three hours the first night and now I get up a couple times a night by myself. I drink tons of water, some cranberry juice and take Oregon Grape herb. I guess I have a sensitive urethra.

To tell you the truth, I did enjoy peeing standing up though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2004, 04:52 PM

At first I felt like my bladder was full and I didn't know what to do. I finally just relaxed and it took care of itself. They didn't even tape it to my leg. I do agree that the tape is the worse. I have the worst time removing tape from my skin.
Unread 12-23-2004, 06:43 PM

Hi!

Although, it was not painful to have the cath in or have it removed, when the tech removed it the cath it was COVERED in BLOOD.

Now I'm having problems with my bladder (pain with urination) and I stongly suspect it's because of trauma done either while the cath was inserted or while it was in.

God Bless,
Joanne
Unread 12-23-2004, 07:04 PM

FLady
Call your doctor. This doesn't sound even close to being right.
Unread 12-23-2004, 07:22 PM

Yes, definately...call the doc. Now, it could have been just the post-op bleeding, but if it was bright red...they should have had some concern. The 3rd week I had the cath (and the 5th time they had to reinsert it, the urine in the drainage tube was bloody and I was passing huge clots....the docs didn't seem concerned, and I guess since I'm OK now, that it really was OK. BUT, I would certainly call the doc on this one. your bladder could be having spasms (painful)....and if you had it in for any length of time, it is going to take some time to heal.

Unread 12-23-2004, 07:31 PM

Hi Kindred!

Went to see her on Monday. I'm 5 weeks post-op now. She took a urine sample and was sending it out to be tested for a bladder infection. She said she'd let me know. I forgot they're closed tomorrow. I'll have to call Monday, since I haven't heard anything.

When her nurse was taking my vitals, she said the sample "looked good so far". I think she was testing for UTI. When I mentioned to the nurse about the blood, she said it sounded like possible trauma from the cath.

In the meantime, the doc gave me a 7 day prescription for Macro-bid (antibiotic). I started taking them yesterday, haven't noticed any improvement yet.

Just hope the pain gets better soon. I know it sounds clueless, but I was never cathed before (except for a urodynamics test prior to surgery. They used a child's cath and told me to expect some bleeding and pain for the next few times during urination).

So when they used the foley I figured it was probably normal to get some blood. Pretty dumb on may part, huh?

I told my husband about the pain and he would say: "You've just been through major surgery....Give it time." Now he's saying, "You never told me you had pain". Arrrrrrggggg! Men!!!

Have a great holiday!
God Bless,
Joanne
Unread 12-23-2004, 08:00 PM

I agree Kindred! I was sooooooo worried about the catheter hurting when coming out and about burning afterwards when I peed. Neither thing happened. It was fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register