Milk of Magnesia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Milk of Magnesia Milk of Magnesia

Unread 12-22-2004, 08:06 PM
Milk of Magnesia

Yesterday I had a really bad bowel stoppage problem (I couldn't sit down or stand up straight) and took milk of magnesia at doctor's suggestion. It worked after a while - I had an explosion and then several bouts of diarrhea. Today it stopped, but I'm afraid of what the future will bring. Can anyone who has taken milk of magnesia for constipation tell me what will happen now? Will going back on the stool softener/laxative be a problem? I have been off them for about a month, went back on a few days ago, but they didn't work - hence the M of M. By the way, when I called the doctor with question, his answer, through his "assistant", was that I should call my family doctor because she would know more about bowel issues than he does. This really made me mad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Milk of Magnesia

Dear Babs,

So sorry to hear of your distress. I have take M of M and had really good luck with it. It worked pretty like what you are experiencing and then things return pretty much back to normal. If you had a blockage hopefully you have gotten things moving so you won't need to keep using anything.
The stool softeners only keep things soft. If you are constipated they don't really clean you out. Going back on them shouldn't be any problem. They are to be taken as needed. It sounds like you might need to make some dietary changes to keep yourself 'regular'. I have done well drinking some prune juice every once in a while as needed. Increasing your fiber will also help.
I understand your frustration with the dr. I do know that some gyn deal with the bowel things more than others. At least he was honest. I hope you can get things back to normal and not have to worry about it for long.
Take care of yourself and have a very merry Christmas.

s, Rita
Unread 12-22-2004, 08:54 PM
Milk of Magnesia

When was your surgery?? I, just to be safe and easy, take a dose of metamucil everyday, and the bm's are nice and easy, if you can call them nice... and remember, DONT STRAIN
Kitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Milk of Magnesia

I think I hurt myself today. I've been taking my stool softeners and laxitives, and still strained a bit this afternoon and there was a little bit of red blood. I'm not bleeding now, but has anyone else done this and not suffered long term?
Unread 12-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Milk of Magnesia

I did that one week out, had some red blood, call your doc to be sure, all I did was pull a stitch a little bit, she did say that some spotting was normal, however, call doc to be sure
Take care

Kitty
Unread 12-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Milk of Magnesia

Hi,

I agree with the dietary advice. But if you find you need to take M of M again, try half the dosage. I did this and it still worked without the big blow out that puts so much stress on the bowel.
It's hard to find a balance with pain pills that are constipating and inactivity. Keep up with water, prune juice, fiber etc. Avoid, rice, bananas, cheese and foods that cause gas, like onions, brocholli etc.

I'm sure alot of us including myself got into some trouble. And yes, I strained cursing all the time. Once I got the bowels to move then it became a daily event with just diet and 2 stool softeners a day. I think the stool softeners are great to keep up during our recovery; however, laxatives are not a good thing to keep using long term. They can be too harsh on your intestines and your system can become dependent on them.

Best of luck
Maralyn
Unread 12-22-2004, 10:45 PM
Milk of Magnesia

Thanks for your advice, and to those suffering in the early weeks, it should get better for you. Actually, for the last month I was doing fine (comparatively) with bran and prunes - I would go almost every day, usually in the morning. But something changed this weekend, could it have been the elavil I started on Friday night? Anyway, I'm going to go off that, because I read it can cause seizures in combination with tramadol, which I seem to have to take for my pain issues, take some of the stool softener/laxatives, eat some prunes, take some bran, and go to bed. Hopefully, I can give you all some good news tomorrow!
Unread 12-23-2004, 01:01 PM
Milk of Magnesia

I have found that using Sennakot works without the major blowouts as it is a vegetable made laxative, not so many chemicals. Since your system is clearing out, i do advise on starting the stool softeners again,b ut the ones without the laxative. Just take those, drink lots of water, increase the fiber in your diet and you should be okay. While it is the most digusting thing in the world, I have also used mineral oil as a laxative (dosing should be on label) and it works great as it makes things slide out..hehe...but beware that you can have some oil leakage for a few days. I guess that is why my pancakes with syrup works so well...the syrup slides everythingout. But you shouldn't use laxatives very long because once you stop, you can get constipated again. Stool softeners are okay without the laxative ingredient....it is called docusate sodium..brand name is Colace.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register