Ouch ! oh my really ouch ! (6 days post-op, swelly belly and all) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ouch ! oh my really ouch ! (6 days post-op, swelly belly and all) Ouch ! oh my really ouch ! (6 days post-op, swelly belly and all)

Unread 12-23-2004, 05:05 AM
Ouch ! oh my really ouch ! (6 days post-op, swelly belly and all)

Hello

I'm really glad to be here writing this. I was a real chicken last Friday morning just before my operation. Supposedly the last thing I did before the passing out was hold my surgeon's hand and tell her: please save the ovaries !

Anyway I'm here and alive and ready for a new life. Good thing I had surgery because the cyst in the fallopian tube had ruined the tube and I was full of fibromas and everything was stuck together inside (adhesions). So now all that's left are the ovaries.

What took me by surprise was the amount of pain. I had an allergic reaction to the pain medication and as a result I had much less than other ladies. I'm only on tylenol now and my oh my does it huuuuuuuuurt.

Anybody have any ideas for relieving pain ? (without taking medication)

Anybody know how long swelly belly takes ?

Tomorrow I have the stiches out, Hope I'm not in for more.

Thank you for this lovely website. It has been so reassuring.

smiles & dreams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2004, 05:52 AM

Stitches are ok coming out (same as staples) sometimes you feel a little tug as they pull on one, but I have never had them hurt coming out

I can't recomend anything for the pain sorry but, try to relax. I found if I tensed up it was more painfull and I gave myself more pain than nessacery.

If laying down gives you less pain, then do so, but do the 'pumping the foot' exercises
to help the blood circulation in your legs.

I still have S/Belly at 4 wks+ if I do too much, I think it depends on the person. In the morning I can see my feet, if by the evening I have done too much then my totaly disapear

So Relax, take it easy and recover slowly.

s
Unread 12-23-2004, 06:57 AM

Glad you are home and on the road to healing!

Did you check with your doc-or your pharmacy about OTC pain meds. I was told by the pharmacist and the nurse at the doc's office that I could alternate OTC meds between the aspirin type ones and the tylenol type ones just so I didn't get more than the allowed amount in a day. So I would take some at 8, then the other kind at 10, etc. Check with them. I wrote it all down on a little chart and would check it off when I took the OTC pain relief because I would forget what I had taken. You also might check with your doc because there are stronger versions of OTC meds that you might be able to take.

I also used ice gel packs in ziploc bags on my abdomen, and a heating pad on my back.

The other thing that helped me a lot was getting up every hour or so and walking for 10 minutes around the house, down the block etc. Moving like that seemed to improve the circulation and help the healing. I did that in the day and every 2 or 3 hours inthe night. I just got too sore and stiff when I laid around more than an hour or two. (But then I am a little old and stiff )

They also say soothing music, or your favorite music can take your mind off the pain-I listened to music with headphones on-it seemed to block out the world for awhile. It is hard for your brain to think about two things at once, so for short periods of time you can distract yourself. I listened to Dvorak's New World Symphony in the hospital, and a CD of favorite hymns that I could sing along with at home, then some good ol rock and roll, depending on my mood.

Here's to quick healing and not feeling any pain soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2004, 06:58 AM

I'm so sorry to hear you are allergic to the pain medication. The only other thing that I could suggest you use is a warmed heating pad to lay on your belly. I've heard other ladies mention it on this site and that it had worked wonders. Good luck.
Unread 12-23-2004, 07:10 AM

I agree with the other sisters. Because you had an allergic reaction with meds, I suggest calling your Dr also and finding out what is safe for you given your allergies. Definitely document what gave you the allergic reaction. Better pain contol will allow you to get out of beds for short walks which is the best way to avoid clots and keep those bowels moving. I found laying still was the best way to avoid unmanageable pain, I also enjoyed the quiet and the heating pad is my friend. Make sure to keep those ted stockings on. I also had adhesions and found that they caused me beaucoup pain, so don't be disappointed if your pain lasts a bit longer that other sisters. Lots of work done to you, best to lay low and pamper yourself. Every day will get better slowly. Check out the hystersisters suggestions on resources for checkpoints. Wish I had seen that sooner. Best wishes for a Happy Holiday! and A speedy recovery!
Unread 12-24-2004, 02:15 AM

Goodness, it's 10 am over here (hello from the snowy mountains of Switzerland) which means 4 am in NY and 1 am in California, and I've just logged on.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.... I never thought I would get such wonderful warm support from the other side of the world

I'm going to try the different suggestions especially the heat pad and the cold packs. I've picked up some of the names of the meds here and will ask my doctor if there are any equivalents over here that I can take.

It's so nice to hear from you.

smiles & dreams
Unread 12-24-2004, 02:22 AM

and the walking does bring relief..... I agree
Never heard of "pumping the foot" but it sounds pretty descriptive, so I'm going to guess.

Over here until a day ago, they gave me anti-coagulation shots to avoid blood clots, do they do that too in the States ?

I've got a patient and kind doctor.... so I'm getting my questions ready !

Happy Holidays to all

smiles & dreams
Unread 12-24-2004, 02:46 AM

Hi Smiles & Dreams

Think of tap dancing and the first move they teach you of the 'heal toe' move and you will have it
I'm in the UK and they only give the Anti-coagulant shots whilst in the Hospital, after that you get to see a Phsyio who teaches you how to do exercises to keep the circulation going, how to move and what pelvic floor exercises to do.

Hope all goes well when you have the stiches out later.

Have a great Christmas s and don't do too much.
Unread 12-24-2004, 03:03 AM

Thanks Tanis, I've got my appointment in an hour, so your message is perfect timing !

Merry Christmas !

smiles & dreams
Unread 12-24-2004, 07:42 PM

I too am allergic to pain meds(vicodin,hydrocodone etc). I was aware of this prior to my surgery (11-18-04),so I told my doctor and he gave me Talwin instead-Hope this helps! Happy Holidays

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register