swelly belly | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-23-2004, 10:22 AM
swelly belly

I don't think I understand the swelly belly and I don't think I had it until yesterday 6 days post op. I finally had a bowel movement and boy was that uncomfortable. since then I feel like I have a 10 pound weight wrapped around my stomach. I looked inthe mirror and I have a pouch that hangs over my incision. It looks weird and feels weirder. when I touch my stomach I feel lumps and bumps where I didn't have any before. Is this swelly belly or did I strain myself. I called my doctor--he's on vacation---but the nurse said that my intestines, bladder etc are all rearranging and staking new locations...doesn't sound good to me. she said as long as I don't have a fever not to worry. I have my post op visit on the 5th. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2004, 10:32 AM
same day

I too went in on the 16th and yesterday had a BM and started bleeding!! That freaked me out and into bed, where I have been ever since 5 yesterday. I'm going a little nuts now, so I don't know what's "normal"

My tummy aches in the am, but I don't know if it's because I'm hungry or something else. I can't find a pain free position, so I think it's hunger.

My tummy is sore too and a little bumpy, but I'm afraid to push too hard because I have many internal stitches.

What kind of surgery did you have? My post op isn't until the 19th!!

I hope someone has the answers!!
Unread 12-23-2004, 10:33 AM
swelly belly

It all sounds totaly normal to me

I too have a 'shelf' that comes and goes depending on how much I do, It did have the strange lumps and bumps, but they have re-arranged themselves into more comfortable places for me and them

I still have the odd one or two, but they are slowly dissapating and will eventually go away.

When I had a Lap done 2 years ago I seemed to be in a worse condition with this problem than I am now, and that all went away in about 4 months, I was told at the time it was internal scaring and it would settle. So I just look at it in the same light and kno it will go soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2004, 10:34 AM
swelly belly

I was told the same thing by my doctor. I have an empty place now that once was filled by my huge uterus (9 pound fetus size!). Just as after having a baby, it will take time for things to "rearrange" so that there is not an empty place. That causes gas and bloating as things move around.

Either TVH or TAH things were "opened" up and air displaces throughout the body. Especially with a TAH these air pockets can even come up into the shoulders and collar bone area, under the rib cage, etc. Since I had a TVH I have had more discomfort in my lower abdomen and back/pelvic area.

If you begin to have sharp or constant (more than 2 hours) pain, call your Dr or go to the ER for help. Also my discharge instructions say get help if you have a fever of 102 for more than 24 hours. So it must be fairly common for our bodies to even run a slight temperature as it's changes take place. So try not to worry about swelly belly, unless you find it to be painful or excessive (too much swelling around stitches, etc)
Unread 12-23-2004, 10:36 AM
swelly belly

MarlaJoy, where are you bleeding from? a small amount of vaginal bleeding can occour (spotting) with a BM, but if it is lots you must call your Dr.
Resting is the right thing to do though to see if it slows/stops.
Unread 12-24-2004, 10:51 AM
swelly belly

I am another December 16 Hyster Sister! I had a TAH due to endometrial cancer. There is no mystery about my swelly belly, I feel like I look pregnant for the first time in 20 years
I also have a disturbingly lumpy belly, but I think it is just because of rearranging organs. It is hard to have the patience necessary to wait for things to get back to as normal as they are going to be. In general I am feeling great, partially due I am sure to the 4 Oxycodones a day I am still indulging in. Today I am going out for a walk, albeit a short one. Tonight I am going to church, I have much to pray and be thankful for.
Unread 12-24-2004, 11:14 AM
swelly belly

Everything sounds pretty normal to me..the swelly belly will come and go as will the lumps and bumps as everything finds a new home so to speak.
Even months later, the dreaded swelly belly can pop up if you do a lot of walking or standing or sometimes not much at all. It is all part of the healing process.
Just remember to take it easy, you shouldn't be doing anything 6 days out but resting, napping, short walks around the house and drinking plenty of water. Ihope you feel better soon and that you are able to enjoy your Christmas!
Unread 12-24-2004, 12:12 PM
swelly belly

sounds like typical swelly belly to me.... who knows how long it lasts?? I can say with confidence, it can be sometime over ten weeks! Mine is very pronounced if I do much, and so right now its awful! I tried to simplify the holidays around here, but it just didn't happen!
Unread 12-24-2004, 03:27 PM
swelly belly

Thank you all for your responses, I was so worried about my lumps and bumps. I a so thankful for many things but especially for having found such a supportive, inspiring group of people. Thanks for everything.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register