Why, am I not having any discharge? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why, am I not having any discharge? Why, am I not having any discharge?

Unread 12-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Why, am I not having any discharge?

I would like to thank you ladies for your responses to my last posting you made me feel better

I have another question. I had finished my period a couple days before my sugery. Is it normal not to have any discharge after the sugery? I have not had any. In this 6-8 week period of recovery will I have to look forward to dishcarge and if so what kind? like a period, just blood or what kind of discharge? Will it be painful like a period? When the stiches fall off does it hurt? Or Will this be just pain free discharge?

Looking forward to your responses,
Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2004, 11:08 AM

I had a TVH on the 13th. I have very little to no discharge at all. When my doctor called me to check on me on day 5, I told him about it. He said "Good, it's not a problem. If it changes, don't worry. As stitches dissolve you might find a bit of light pink for a while. Just don't over do yourself or you could find it bright pink/red which means stitches have torn. Unless it's bleeding like a period, don't worry. Also it will be dark, brownish, light, or in between from time to time, with a light odor. Don't sit or lay down too much, but also do not stand too much. A good balance of both, but do NO housework, cooking, driving, sex,.......nothing! "...... hope this helps you.

edit: These instructions were for the two - week time frame. Driving and light housework should be rewarded if I am careful, after three weeks. He said I can expect mild cramping only. Should not be like a period. Period pain was usually realted to uteruine spasming as the lining shed stored blood. Now we will just be passing small amounts of blood that is related to the internal stitches and any disruption of the vaginal wall during removal of the uterus.
Unread 12-23-2004, 11:10 AM

i had absolutely no discharge

so no pain, no pads, no nothing.

ya just gotta love it!

jane321
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2004, 11:13 AM

Sounds like your doing great. I also worried about not having any discharge, and now I am thrilled.
Unread 12-23-2004, 11:19 AM

I don't know for sure, but I believe it's normal to have a discharge. The doctor sews up the top of the vagina and leaves a small hole there that will close in approximately 6 weeks. The hole is left there for the purpose of surgery draining. It could be a good thing that you have no discharge...or perhaps your vaginal cuff healed closed very quickly, I don't know. Your doctor, most likely, will do a 6 week vaginal check up to view the healing area.

If you do have a discharge, it can be red or brown red or pink. Normal up to 6 weeks. It should be like spotting or less and never a gush. Mine does not hurt at all. All I wear is a small liner that I change twice a day...and most often there is nothing really there. If I do too much like try to tie my own shoes......then I get a little more discharge!

The stitches start to disolve week 3 and 4. I'm at week 3 now and noticed this AM very tiny, light grey flecks when I wipped. I think these are some stitches. Alot will disolve in our abdomin cavity so I don't expect a ton of them.

So...for me it is painless discharge, and painless discharge of stitches. I still have surgery pain on and off, still have skin sensitivity and incision discomfort...but no pain from discharge, thank goodness! This is just me...we'll see what others say.
Maralyn
Unread 12-23-2004, 11:29 AM

I had a TAH for fibroids. There was a small amount of discharge the day I left the hospital. For a few weeks I wore pads just in case, but there has been nothing. I've had two internal check-ups since then and all was fine. Doctor asked if I'd had any discharge and wasn't concerned when I said no.
Unread 12-23-2004, 02:36 PM

Hi,

After the first day, I never had any discharge after my TAH. It seems that ladies who have abdominal surgeries have less chance of discharge than those with vaginal surgeries.

If you do have some discharge, it should just be light spotting about three to four weeks post-op, when the internal sutures start dissolving. Then again, you could be like many of us, and never have any. Either way is normal.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Unread 12-23-2004, 02:42 PM

I had discharge at 3 weeks, 7 weeks and 11 weeks. It is what they lovingly call a mini period. I will take it cuz there is no PAIN with it. I do not use a pad, or anything. It is very light, brownish in color, and a bit discouraging. I kept my cervix....

I have had pains that were like cramping, although not nearly as bad as they were, and I put it down to either bowels, or overdoing it. Yes, I still overdo it!! Me bad.... I had a pain during ovulation this month for the first time ever on my left side. That was freaky and weird!! Nothing on the right side which could be pretty bad sometimes. So it all depends. We are all different, and you learn what is what as time goes on. It is most definitely a way to learn how to be in touch with our bodies....

Hugs
Kat
Unread 12-23-2004, 04:44 PM

I am at 5 1/2 weeks and still have a bit of brownish/ yellow discharge. Yesterday I really overdid it and spotted blood a little, which freaked me out! Today I'm back to the brown stuff. I'll be glad when the discharge is completely over. To see stuff still coming out is sad after everything we went through to stop that from happening!!
I have never seen a stitch come out! Are they small or long strings or what?
Unread 12-23-2004, 05:20 PM

Hi,

I'm 8 weeks post-op, I had TAH for fibroids and was bleeding non stop pre-op.

Never had any discharge or spotting after surgery. Stitches dissolved inside, never saw anything come out, Dr says they were absorbed by body. Pads & tampons all went to daughter (she has about a year supply)

Happy holidays!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register