Last Weekends issues.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Last Weekends issues.... Last Weekends issues....

Unread 12-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Last Weekends issues....

Hello Ladies,
I saw my doc today, and cannot remember who I told I would pm them and tell them what happened so I will make a post. Also I learnt something very valuable.

For those who dont know, I am on Effexor and took Ativan on Friday night to help me sleep. I ended up in some side effects that were not pretty. I had issues with breathing, and anxiety.

I discussed with my doctor exactly what transpired. He does feel it was medicine related, and not to do it again. If I have another 'panic attack' it may be the Effexor. I am on a dose he says could be too low, but with other issues I may be switching to a different med. I was put on Vagifem to help with the libido and other issues, and if it works in conjunction with the effexor and I do well, good. If not I will be stopping the Effexor, going alone with the vagifem. If my mood crashes, then I may end up trying Serzone. If the libido doesnt smarten up, then I will be trying some testosterone with the estrogen, and on and on and on....

When taking meds, always document when you add or take something out. I obviously am not safe to take the Ativan with the Effexor. I need to know this in future in case i end up in a situation in ER or something where they may give me Ativan. Always talk to your doctor about anything new when taking meds. It is scary to think with my history, that I may well have ended up being worse off than I was. And if I have any more 'spells' I am to contact him to figure out why. I get to keep a journal now of the certain 9 issues of depression and take it step by precious step! I will be ok, I will come out of this alive.

Hugs
Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Last Weekends issues....

good grief woman, do you feel like a test tube at times or what!!!

There is a book at the library, I don't know if you want to spend the $$, but it will list all the meds and what you shouldn't mix them with. It might be worth the investment (maybe your doc should buy it )

The other thing I wanted to suggest to you is to diet control your PMS, I read something a while ago about certain food groups being good and bad for mood swings, but of course I can't remember what the book was...(I'm not suggesting you need to diet.....)

I line up all the pills I take in the am everyday, I'm sure your load is bigger, and all those meds together have got to be combustable somehow.

Good luck sweetie, and I hope that you are hanging in there!!!

Marla
Unread 12-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Last Weekends issues....

harley,

petite here .. as i said before i went back on the hormones ...and i feel so much better .. i to kept my ovaries ..but they must have shut down ... also my sleep is so much better ... just something to think about..

pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Last Weekends issues....

Quote:
Originally posted by MarlaJoy
I read something a while ago about certain food groups being good and bad for mood swings, but of course I can't remember what the book was...(I'm not suggesting you need to diet.....)
Marla,
I also heard about that a while ago and can't remember the name of the book either, I think I will do some googling for my sis Kat here...it really wasn't a diet like lose weight diet, just certain foods thing. I will let you all know what I find out.
Unread 12-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Last Weekends issues....

I have to go lay down, been on here too long, will be back later though, but i did find this little article so far and wanted to go ahead and share it :

*********How can my diet affect my premenstrual symptoms?
What you eat and drink can have a big influence on both the physical and emotional symptoms you may have each month during the week or two leading up to your period. Most experts recommend that women with premenstrual syndrome start by avoiding caffeine and alcohol, which can exacerbate headaches, anxiety, and depression. It's also a good idea to drink at least eight glasses of water each day and cut back on salt if you're troubled by bloating; paradoxically, drinking more water helps you retain less.

Some studies have found that eating more carbohydrates in the middle of your cycle can help relieve depression, tension, confusion, and fatigue. Eating starchy foods like potatoes and crackers can boost your level of serotonin, a brain chemical linked to mood. The trick is to avoid foods containing protein and fat for a few hours before and after each carbo snack, because they can delay or destroy the effect.

In another recent study, women with PMS who took 1,200 milligrams of calcium a day for three months reported that premenstrual symptoms such as pain, food cravings, mood swings, and water retention had diminished by half. The researchers, who noticed that some of these symptoms resemble those of severe calcium deficiency, suspect that low levels of calcium may cause women's bodies to secrete hormones that cause PMS.***********

I hope this info helps and I will look some more later...be back later, unless I fall asleep and then I will check back inthe morning after the grocery store-----yuck!
Unread 12-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Drug Interactions...

Here is a good site to check any drug interactions.

Drug Interaction Checker

Please be careful with SSRI's and other medications!!! Especially anyone who is taking Ultram or Ultracet. If you mix those two (SSRI's and tramadol) you could have seratonin syndrome or have seizures. (Been there, done that, have the tshirt to prove it)

Hope this helps someone!!

Kathi
Unread 12-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Last Weekends issues....

Hi Kat!
Seems to me that the Pharmacist is the one at fault here. They have all of your prescriptions and they are the ones that know which drugs will interact.
If you were on Effexor why wouldn't they warn you when they filled the Ativan script?
When I get my scripts I get a large sheet of paper with all the warnings and interactions with other drugs and vitamins
Maybe you should talk to your Pharmacist
Just my

Take care,
persiankatz
Unread 12-24-2004, 01:09 AM
Last Weekends issues....

Hi Kat....I'm so glad to hear that you discussed this with your doctor and you both now have a plan in force to find (and hopefully cure) the problems you've been having.
I know this has to be a relief to you and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it won't take any time at all.

Taking Effexor and Ativan together doesn't always cause problems for most people, but based on what you'd said, it sounded very much like you had a bad reaction to the Ativan. Especially with your breathing problems.

Good for your doctor for telling you to leave them alone.

Now if we could just help you with the libido problem......
Unread 12-24-2004, 07:05 AM
Last Weekends issues....

Hi Everyone,
PersianKatz, there is no harm in taking Effexor and Ativan. I know different people who were prescribed Ativan to deal with the initial side effects, and I took them at the beginning also. This is one of those 'fluke' episodes that I do not want to repeat....It was like the Zyban thing, no one is allergic, and yet I have my worst reaction with it!!

Tab, Merry Christmas!! I have a wonderful doctor who I thanked for giving me a life. He is so funny, he looked like a little boy, and said your welcome. He is very down to earth and told me he would figure me out!! If there is an oddball thing to happen, it will happen to me!!

I am so looking forward to the new life I will eventually have. It may not be quite so rosy, but it has to better than it was. I was honest and told the doctor I was in much greater danger than I knew, so he will be watching me, and this is where the huge trust comes in, he will be TRUSTING me to come in, either to them or the ER if things start to go downhill. That is a huge thing for me, and hopefully doable.
Hugs
Kat
Unread 12-24-2004, 07:46 AM
Last Weekends issues....

Quote:
Originally posted by persiankatz
Seems to me that the Pharmacist is the one at fault here. They have all of your prescriptions and they are the ones that know which drugs will interact.
If you were on Effexor why wouldn't they warn you when they filled the Ativan script?
ATivan and Effexor do not interact with each other. Kat just had an adverse reaction taking them together. It is just like all the possible side effects from a med, maybe you wouldn't get, but someone else would, or you would be allergic too.
It is no ones fault, it was just an adverse reaction not a drug interaction.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register