Bilateral serous cystadenoma | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bilateral serous cystadenoma Bilateral serous cystadenoma

Unread 01-10-2001, 03:58 PM
Bilateral serous cystadenoma

First of all, where do people get all those emoticons, etc? I'm new to this. Anyway, MRI shows probable serous cystadenomas on both ovaries, without suggestion of carcinomatosis but with some sign of fluid around one ovary. I know I need a hysterectomy, but I don't know if I can have a LAVH with this condition. Anybody know about that?

Also, my GP tells me that these tumors are not aggressive and that they are usually self contained and don't usually spread. I have yet to see my ob/gyn (Monday). What I've read in the literature doesn't agree with what my GP says. I'm just a little nervous. Chronically ill with other problems anyway, surgery will be difficult and I'm concerned about how soon the surgery can be done here (Canada). I do have a consultation scheduled for a cancer institute in the States (Roswell, in Buffalo) that I will use if I don't like what my gynecologist has to say.

Whaddya think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2001, 05:40 AM

First thing first...to use your emoticons, or smilies as a lot of us call them: When you respond to a post, look at the top of the page above the line that says, "Hyster Sisters Message Board" > The Forum you are in > and the post which you are in...all this is underlined. You will see where it says CLICK HERE FOR SMILIES LEGEND. If you click that, another screen comes up and tells you what to type for each smilie. The typical smile is done with a colon and a right parenthesis... THere is a whole list to choose from!
As for the rest of your post, I am not sure if you a LAVH would be done for your prognosis. I think that the best thing for you is that when you go to your GYN to take a list of questions with you. If you can, take two..one for the doc and one for you to take notes on. We tend to forget so much when we are face to face with the doctor, and the doctors do appreciate the lists of questions. Once you get his thoughts, then you can decide if you want to go for a second opinion or not. I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us posted on how things go for you. Take care!
Unread 01-13-2001, 08:40 PM

Arctic...I just want to let you know that I am from Buffalo originally and Roswell is one of the best cancer research and treatment centers in the country. They get referrals from all over the world. I have had family members and friends treated there and it is a wonderful facility. I think you are very wise to persue this.
{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}
kaatie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2001, 10:57 PM

Thanks kaatie, I was just wondering about that Cancer Institute. I was thinking maybe I should go to Sloan-Kettering because it's so well known and I can get a direct flight to NYC. HOWEVER, then what??? Traffic, expensive hotels, no parking at the center, etc. So I'm glad to get the positive feedback about Roswell. I had a good feeling about them. . . . I've been doing lots of reading and seen much controversy as to whether or not LAVH is OK in this situation. I will be interested to hear what my gynecologist, who does that procedure, has to say. Then I think I still might want to get an opinion from Roswell. The waiting time here to get an MRI was a year. I went to a private clinic in Quebec and paid for my own. People want to shut the clinics down because they say we will have a two tiered health care system if they are allowed to stand. There was a guy there with a BRAIN tumor who was on a waiting list to get an MRI!!! At this clinic you can get one in about two days. Doctor has the report in 48 hours. I don't want a two tiered health care system either, but I don't want to risk my life because the health care system is in disarray! Ohhhhh, I'm rambling. Off post. There is a lot going through my mind!!! Do I have cancer or not? Only one way to find out, although actually there are a few different techniques that could be used to get in there . . . I am allergic to pain meds and wonder how I would manage with the pain if I have a TAH. I understand I can have an epideural for up to three days but after that

Well, time for all that later. Now I'll just wait.
Unread 01-14-2001, 12:38 AM

Hi Arctic...I can understand your concern about the pain meds. Demerol and morphine did not work on me. I woke up in recovery in excrutiating pain. They kept pumping me up but I never felt any relief. They finally got Torodal...which is some kind of blocker...worked great. I cannot take percodan, percoset,darvoset...I halluncinate. They gave me Vicodin. It worked very well. I took myself off them at day 3 because I did not want to be constiapted. I went to just 3 Motrin every 4 hrs....less than what they were offering me. I do not have a high tolerance for pain...I am a big sissy when it comes to pain. So day 1 and 1/2 I had the Torodal and then went to Vicodon for 1 1/2 days....I was in the hospital for 5 days. I was sore and very uncomfortable but it was all tolerable. My Dr. would not do a vag as she said she could not be sure she could get it all and not release cells in the process. If the uterus fell apart it would be alot more difficult and I could end up with a TAH anyway. Plus by having a TAH/BSO I was able to have an organ wash to ensure that any free floating cancer cells were killed. That eased my mind alot. I don`t know about the difference in recovery time between the two, but as far as pain goes I think a little was good for me. I am an active person and I think if I had stayed on pain meds at home I would have tended to overdo . The pain I did have kept me in bed where I belonged. To be honest, once I was home and just taking Advil, the pain wasn`t too bad...I have actually had worse periods.
This is such a scary time....I do hope you have someone who can go with you to Buffalo if that is your choice. I was lucky that I did not have to make any decisions except what to take to the hospital. That was really scary about the man with the brain tumor. Its sad that first we don`t feel well and then they make you jump through hoops to try and get well.If there is anything I can do to help you please feel free to email me....just click on the envelope below [email protected] is my email add.
{{{{{{{{big hugs}}}}}}}}}
kaatie
Unread 01-14-2001, 09:43 AM
Support at home

Thanks again to kaatie. Yes, I have a wonderful husband who will make sure I get to Buffalo if needed. (How come I can't get a beating heart in here? Where are the rest of the emoticons?) :inlove: He's the one who made the appointment. He's coming home today from New Brunswick and will go to the gynecologist with me tomorrow. I have all kinds of fears. That she'll say it isn't necessary to move fast. That she'll be mad if I want to go to Buffalo for a consult. That nobody will take care of me later if I get help somewhere else. I mean I guess I just need to be worried about SOMETHING.

My kids are keeping me busy. They're all grown, but they aren't leaving me alone for whole days at a time. My son came one day and my daughter came the next and then the next daughter, and now the first daughter is coming with her daughter . . . I keep thinking I should get some rest but you know what it's like when you're facing these kinds of things, you lay down and your mind doesn't go to bliss . ..:'(

One of the best things I've done is hire an organizer who will work in small chunks of time. She was here for two hours on Friday and we cleaned one whole side of my laundry room. I didn't think I'd want to do this while awaiting word on tests and surgery but it turns out it was so distracting and so uplifting that I'm having her back for half a day on Friday.

Thanks for listening. I just need to talk.
Unread 01-14-2001, 11:25 AM

Arctic...I understand completly about the worrying. I waited a month between diagnosis and surgery. I care for my handicapped mother in our home...she had a stroke and her left arm is non functional, sort of drags her left leg at times and her mind really took a hit. She remembers everything from before the stroke. She can watch any old movie on tv and tell you who everyone is, who they were married to, what other movies they were in...watches Wheel and Jeopardy and answers every question...but she opens the door to let the pooch out and forgets to close it. She will get something from the fridge and leave the door open...we finally solved that one by putting a small lift under one corner so the door swings shut now. I work full time and so does hubby. With our hours...shift work...she is home 3 days a week for about 5-6 hrs alone...but I am 5mins away and she can phone me and I will run if its an emergency. But I was worried about what would happen to her if something happened to me. I always felt that I came from a better place and I am going to a better place..I just don`t want to suffer in the meantime. I will tell you...I cried every nite from diagnosis to surgery....as they were wheeling me in I was sobbing. The nurse said..don`t be scared..you are still young and healthy...you will do fine...I said...if I am so healthy what am I doing on a gurney being wheeled into surgery? I didn`t get the 'why me' thing....just the 'what will happen to mom' thing. I always promised my dad I would take care of her if anything happened to him and she almost died the morning of his funeral...but thats another long story. I cleaned like a mad woman for 2wks before..and I am glad I did because now its 2 months down the line and it really needs some attention. But it held up pretty well for this long. It was nice to come home to a clean house. And it really took my mind off what I was facing. My primary dr.`s mom died of uterine cancer the year before and I really thought I had a death sentence. I thought if they couldn`t save her there was not a snowballs chance in heck of me surviving. I had no idea there were hundreds of different types of cancer in the same organ.I didn`t even have a computer at the time...got this about 2 wks before and found Hysters a few days before surgery. I have to admit that at the time I felt so hopeless about the cancer that I was most concerned about the pain....what was I thinking??? I was just in shock and didn`t want to suffer physically if I was suffering mentally....what a trade off,huh?? At the time I was wheeled in, they did not know how far the cancer had spread, what stage, if there was cancer in the ovaries,too...if it had started somewhere else and spread to the uterus....if or how many lymph nodes would be biopsied. Uterine cancer is visable to the naked eye, so as soon as they got the uterus out they would know...but I wouldn`t know because I was knocked out!!! I am very much an information person...just give me the info and I`ll find a way to cope...but it wasn`t a very calm katie that they wheeled in because I had no info. I remember the dr telling me that if they had to go to the nodes I would wake up with a tube in my nose and one in my tummy near the belly button. I woke up with o2 tube and thought the worse...and I started feeling around for the one in the tummy...when it wasn`t there I started to feel at the one in my nose and when it popped out I realized it was just o2 and sighed with relief. Talk about rambling..WHEW!! But the waiting is the worse part, as everyone says. I was very glad to hear your support system is so strong. Sounds like a great man you have there. If your Dr. is angry that you want action or a consult that is her problem...not yours....please do what you need to do to feel comfortable...not what will appease her. You are the one that will be living with your decisions...not her. I don`t think she will have that reaction,though. Many dr.s welcome an informed and involved patient,and I hope she is open to your requests. You will find lots of support here and this is where I come for my strength when I am faltering....here and the big guy upstairs...
Arctic...I really feel for you....
{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}
kaatie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register