Doc says Merry Christmas Quit eating!!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doc says Merry Christmas Quit eating!!! Doc says Merry Christmas Quit eating!!!

Unread 12-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Doc says Merry Christmas Quit eating!!!

Kassie, I have a treadmill and I love it! You get a better workout on one than just walking around...it keeps your pace consistent.

I hate doctors who are so abrupt about weight issues. They are definitely more complicated than just 'quit eating'! A baked potato may be worse for YOU than the ham! It would be for me! I can gain eating totally legal on Weight Watchers. I need a low GI diet to lose, and then its about one pound a month, and very frustrating. Maybe look into Sugarbusters. Its a nice program, with a great variety and healthy too. And you can have some 70% cocoa solid chocolate on it! I can't have white potatoes because of my high insulin levels, so I would pick the ham!

Have a wonderful holiday season!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2004, 02:01 PM

Kassie,
It sounds like your doctor was trying to prevent the heart problems, but his manner was abrupt and rude. I'm a little bigger than you, but don't consider myself terribly overweight. Just a tad overweight. Lately, I have been on a diet of just trying to eat fewer carbs and more proteins and low-to-moderate fats. Not anything as stringent as Adkins or even the South Beach Diet. It seems to be working for me. The weight loss that I'm experiencing has been VERY slow, but I'm hoping that means that I am just "learning how to eat healthier" and will keep the weight off later. . . . I formerly would have subscribed to the "eat a small portion of favorite/forbidden foods" but this holiday season, I have a different philosophy. I really believe that sugars and carbs (e.g. breads, pasta) are kinda like alcohol to me. And that I'm like an alcoholic in the sense that when I start, I can't stop. So, this year I have turned down sweets and walked away from buffet tables of treats, in order to keep from "going down that road." For me, one becomes two, which becomes several, which becomes "may as well finish it off." I have low-to-no self control. Anyway, that works for me better than allowing myself to taste a little, and then always want more. . . . I hope you can find something that works for you and are able to become healthy and stay healthy. Like the sometimes abrupt words from our loved ones, you may have to "translate" your doctor's message to something that is more tolerable for you. (BTW, did your doctor mention anything about limiting salt in your diet ? I believe that excess salt can cause fluid build-up around the heart.)

Barbara
Unread 12-24-2004, 02:43 PM

Thank you so much for all of your support. I'm not going to try the weight watchers. I am just going to stick to simple stuff. I really don't use a lot of salt and in general I eat only chicken and turkey unless I can get my paws on some deer meat. I will have some of that ham this year though and my decision to walk more is going to be my first tryl. I will stay away from some of the sugars and see how it goes and how I feel. I know that he is worried about my heart but I have a heart doctor appt in two weeks so I will try his ideas and get a menu from his nurse that is acceptable. As far as my mean doctor goes I'm happy to have him he did save my life so I can't fuss too much he just hurt my feelings because I haven't felt this good since I didn't have a period when I was pregnant or before my cycles started. So I will take it one day at a time.

Love and Hugs to you all Happy Holidays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2004, 05:59 PM

Well, you know I am overweight and I don't need anyone to tell ne that I am. If that had been said to me I would have thanked him for pointing that out. He would have been able to tell by my tone of voice that I thought he was out of line!
All I can say about that doctor is, "HOW RUDE!"

Personally I have a hard time losing weight and keeping it off because I am physically handicapped and it is hard for me to be mobile enough.
You try to hang in there and remember that I am hoping all goes well for you!

Take care!!

*Robbie*
Unread 12-24-2004, 08:13 PM

Thunderdog

I understand how you feel about having a doctor come in and tell you to lose weight. His "bed side maner" was awful.

I am 5' 2" and weighed 280 pounds 21 mths ago. I now weigh 179 pounds. I lost the weight by drinking at least 8 8oz glasses of water and eating a lot of raw vegiesas snacks( carrots were my bigest love.)
My suppers are higher in fiber and lower in fat with the portions being smaller. I eat several mini meals through out the day so I do not get hungery and over eat.

I still need my chocolate, so I buy the mini bars.

I was so over weight I could not exercise so I would sit in a chair and lift cans of fruit or vegies( as dumbells) this help raise my heart rate. I could only do this for 10 minute at a time but I did it 3 times a day. It worked because the weight started to come off and I have strong arms(LOL)

I did not lose the weight be cause I wanted to be skiny, I did not want to die in my 50's like my biological mom and my adopted mom. (being in your 20's is not middle age.) My final goal is to be down to the 130's.
I plan to take my time and to do it the healthy way.

Take care of your heart. I hope my weight loss journy will help find path that you can stay on to be a healthy you.

Angel314
Unread 12-24-2004, 10:29 PM

I have gained 30 lbs since my first surgery in Oct. and I complained to my doc yesterday because I am gaining weight and he wont let me start exercising until 8 weeks, not even a walk on the treadmill.

I said "Ive gained 30 lbs"
His response "You wear it well, no exercising until 8 weeks"

Good luck!!
I hope I can start getting mine under control soon.......

Shelley

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register